PS2 to DVI input?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Kryptonite, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My monitor has DVI inputs. I'm starting to think these are my options:

1) Get a TV with PC input (not going to happen)
    2) Get a PS3 (possible, I suppose.)
    3) Forget the whole idea (ugh)
    4) Get a "switchbox." Unfortunately, I have no idea what type of switchbox or where to buy one. Ebay?

Here's this device
    http://www.rtv-veg.com/products/specs.php?prod=veglite

I've been told a PS2 with S-Video may make this whole situation easier...I don't know if mine has S-Video. It does have some sort of updated "snake drive" or whatever the guy at the videogame store said.

Ideally, what i'd like to do is have my computer and PS2 share the same screen, if this is at all possible. A TV tuner card is most likely a non-option, thanks for asking.

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I would go with a switchbox...but make sure it has a DVI out. Or you will have to buy an adapter cable.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You need some sort of switchbox and it won't be cheap ($300 to $3000 depending on features) or easy to find. The problem is that composite or s-video are analog and DVI or HDMI are digital, so you need something with basically a small computer that figures out what one would be on the other.

HDMI (which most modern TV's have) is very similar to DVI (except it has sound). In theory, all you need is a DVI-HDMI cable, which are pretty common and not too expensive, to hook it up to your computer. In practice, you may have some big problems getting this to work, depending on the TV (or you might have no problem at all).

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I used that little adapter yesterday hooking up a MAC to a projector yesterday...DVI to VGA. Worked very well.

If you're going to get that adapter...you would need a RCA female to VGA as well. Bc the PS2 is composite...PS2->RCA(F)-VGA Adapter->DVI cable to tv. Try to search for a composite (F) adapter to DVI...if they don't make female...you can always buy little barrels to change the sex.

http://www.laikeet.com/catalog/images/1to4.jpg

If you search, you may be able to get away with spending under $30. If you're a gamer...get a PS3. PS2 is "played"

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. The PS3 might become an option if I wait a bit.

I'll just put these questions in here. Seeing as I have a lot of PS2 games, the 80gig PS3 is my only option if I want to continue playing those games, right?

What about the controllers? Can I plug the PS2 controllers into the PS3 and expect them to work?

And is the 80 gig PS3 (and included parts) all i'd need? Any additional cables to go from "PS3 OUT" to "DVI IN"?

That laikeet image looks like all i'd need, but I know there's always more...

7. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    All i know is that the PS2 controllers work on PS3. PS3 have HDMI output as well as AV output. Not sure if they supply the HDMI cable...probably not.

[​IMG]

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I would obviously need some sort of "HDMI out to DVI in" cable. And it's good news about the controllers. :) Hopefully my 1280x1024 monitor could handle the PS3 without any major cropping or black bars.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I said before, this kind of cable is common and you are going to have much smaller compatibility problems in this direction. The only problem is that HDMI carries sound as well as picture while DVI is picture only. You will need a separate hook up for sound.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I would go to BestBuy or another tech store that has the ability to RETURN the cable. Buy the cables, try them out and if you don't like the quality or doesn't work....return :)

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

Since DVI doesn't have sound capabilities, would I need something else, or would the "HDMI Out to DVI In" cable be enough?

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not aware of any cable that splits out the sound signals from a HDMI connection. What you will need to do is connect the sound directly from the PS3 to a sound system. For example, in the picture above the "Digital Out (optical)" connection is something to hook up the sound from the PS3 to a stereo system with the same kind of connection (which just about any modern stereo system does). This will also let you output 5.1 sound, if you have a nice stereo.

The "AV Multi Out" port also contains sound signals, and there are companies that make cables that split apart the various signals from the port to separate cables. You will only get stereo sound, but you can hook it up directly to computer-type (that is, powered) speakers. You should be able to find these for about $15. Don't get the Monster version, which is a total rip at $60.