PS2: Network Adaptor

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by AndrewGK, Aug 30, 2002.

1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    PS2: Network Adapter

Just curious, I haven't gotten the new PS2 Network Adapter yet (combination of lack of funds and other stuff) and just curious if anyone else has purchased and used the new Network Adapter, and how it has worked out.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Apparently, if you hadn't preordered one by mid-August (which I was too busy to do until it was too late) to receive one from the first batch that hit stores this week, then you have to wait until at least mid-September for the next batch.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I guess that means no trying out the PS2 online for me this weekend. :(

-G

3. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I just want to know if I can simply surf the net and read email with it, I don't care about playing games online.

4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    From what I have heard, Ted, that MAY be in the future, but nothing specific is in the works right now.

5. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    IT"S THE BOMB !

I haven't had that much time to play around with it yet but so far it seems very cool.

I would wait untill X-mas time to get this though....one the price will be cheaper and more importantly , more people will have the internet connection which will make for more people to play with.

I did kick some guys ass as the Metrostars last night.... Metros 4 Chelsea 1 !

I couldn't get the head set to work just yet though.

When ever I get some more free time I will check in.... I got it so my brother and I could continue our Fifa battles.

This will be a great addition to the gaming world .... like I said though I would wait awhile for this thing to be perfected.

6. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Sounds cool. Can't wait!

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Huh? Aren't the only two PS2 games that can use the Network Adaptor that are currently in stores Madden NFL 2003 and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs? :confused:

-G

8. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    There is about 25 games to choose from... as of right now.

9. atkins71

atkins71 New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    hey with this playin online stuff, doesnt it go slow like it would on a PC? or does it play like a 2 player game normally which if it is i find it hard 2 believe

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    How is it with Daial up, which I am stuck with, and does it work with AOL??

11. jp77

jp77 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    USA- CT
    I Got it, it kicks ASS. I have dial-up and there's barely a delay. I haven't gotten disconnected yet in a game. There's always a lot of people to play against. I can't wait for FIFA to be online !!!!!!!!!1

12. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Dec 31, 1999
    Hey jredaknapp, what soccer game do
    you have that works for the adapter? And
    anyone know what soccer games will be
    available for ps2 online?

Sounds cool. thanks for the info.

13. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    my local store said it's going to cost about $40. Can anyone corroborate? Doesn't seem like too much, I guess.

14. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    As this is new , maybe there is something I am missing but Fifa 2002 is available to play.

15. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm suprised ign.com doesn't have a review of the adapter. i searched and searched for it but couldn't find anything on it!

anyways, does anyone know if u can use the adapter with a no-name ISP? i use a local, free ISP to connect to the internet and i'm fearing that it will not be compatible with the adapter? does anyone know for sure? thanks

16. jp77

jp77 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    USA- CT
    it's compatible, stores should be getting another shipment next week. it's sweet

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Nope - as of right now, it's just Madden NFL 2003 and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs (not including the small demos included on the Network Adaptor Setup Disc).

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Today I called all the local software retailers around me once again asking if the PS2 Network Adaptors came in, and they kept giving me the same answer as always ("We might get more in a few weeks", etc. etc.), although one of the Electronics Boutique stores actually mentioned that they were expecting a shipment of eight Adaptors sometime today, but weren't sure exactly when the shipping guy would be there.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So after work, I rushed to that particular mall and went to that EB store. Upon my arrival, they had told me that the shipment came in about an hour earlier, but that they had just sold the last of those Adaptors about ten minutes before. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Dejected, I stepped out of the store into the mall and started heading toward the exit. I passed by a small kiosk selling video games and decided to ask the guy there if he had a PS2 Network Adaptor in stock - a longshot, to be sure, considering that none of the stores around there had it.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So I asked him... and lo and behold, he had one left! :eek: Needless to say, I purchased it immediately (I had already purchased Madden NFL 2003 and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs earlier)!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So I came home, hooked it up through my DSL, and have had a blast playing both Madden and SOCOM... although I think I'd better practice SOCOM some more in singleplayer to get used to the controller (as I'm still used to using the keyboard/mouse combo for similiar games on the PC) before trying it in multiplayer again.

-G

19. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
  20. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    goodsport, even though only a few games online are playable thru the network right now, apparently you can use 3rd party software to play person to person on just about any game. I have no idea how it works though.

I know on the Xbox, you could play it online the first day it came out, if you connected the ethernet to your computer and downloaded the gamespy software. People were playing world cup 2002 on xbox online for a few months now.

21. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Sega took care of this on the dreamcast online network. They kept track of everyone's statistics including drops (when someone would sign off when they were losing). So people with high number of drops would find it hard to find anyone willing to play with them.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks for the info. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I wonder if all future EA Sports games on the PS2 will have online capability, especially FIFA 2003 - if so, then that would rock! :D

-G

23. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ea.com/easports/platforms/games/fifa2003/articles.jsp?article_id=1

notice how the producer doesn't say anything about ps2 online capablilities- i hope he just forgot to mention that. i'm not a huge fifa fan, but i WILL buy the game and the network adapter if the game is available for online play. also, the new features of the ball only going a little ahead of u and the team and time specific chants seem pretty cool.

24. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    I just got around to reading this. Thanks for posting link.

25. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can GUARANTEE you that this years FIFA isn't online.