Prove to me God doesn't exist

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Stogey23, Sep 5, 2002.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that pile of crap still going? Before chucking millions and millions of dollars down the drain why didn't someone ask the question "what if Alien life forms don't have TV or radio?"
    A bit off topic I know, but so what?

2. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    ROTFLMAO!!

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Actually, this is a revisionist definition of atheism.
    > In fact, atheism is an active belief that God
    > doesn’t exist.

Don't you think it would be better for atheists to define what the word means? I hope you don't ask me to judge if you are a good Christan or not. And I don't think that you can read my mind and tell me what I believe better than I can say.

> The article ‘atheism’ in Encyclopædia Britannica
    > 1:666, 1992, begins:

There is nothing here that is different than how atheists define themselves.

> The entry on ‘atheism’ in the Routledge
    > Encyclopedia of Philosophy

is just wrong. I don't have access to it and the web site that I am actually responding to does not have a date to tell if it is an older edition or what. And if it says "It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief." when what does it use to describe a person with that suspension of disbelief?

> From a logical point of view, how could God’s non
    > -existence be proven?

That's what we were saying in response to the original poster's request for atheists to prove God does not exist. Of course we can't prove it. We should not have to.

> TB seems to be using the tactic of throwing the
    > burden of proof on those asserting an affirmative
    > proposition, e.g. ‘God exists’ as opposed to the
    > negative preposition ‘God does not exist’. But
    > then an example of self-refutation occurs: the
    > proposition: ‘The burden of proof falls on the
    > affirmative position’ is itself an affirmative
    > proposition, so requires proof in itself!

This is the STUPIDEST thing I have read yet! The "tactic" of trowing the burden of proof on those asserting the affirmative is the only way you can possibly conduct yourself - otherwise you have spend all your time searching for proof to deny any stupid claim. Do you really want to go to court, and have to provide positive conclusive evidence that you do not owe me $10,000? And the word game at the bottom is just silly - and by his thinking is also an affirmative proposition, which he does not prove.

The rest of the page is just as silly. The author is asking for Christians not to play by "atheist's rules" when arguing. But these rules are the rules of logic, which exist for the reason of making arguments meaningful. You can certainly argue without logic, but you end up with things like:

C: God exists.
    A: But my tie is yellow!
    C: What?!
    A: I win!

Daksims, let us start at a very basic level. Is there a spotted elephant with a watergun that is stalking you but always ducks out of the way when you look? I guess you can yell at nearby people "Hey, is there a spotted elephant behind that wall?" all the time, or you always can run from one place of cover to the next so as to make yourself a smaller target just in case the elephant is actually there. Buy why should you have to? Isn't it easier to go through life just tossing that idea out of your head and only putting it back in if you actually see a spotted trunk behind the nearby dumpster? That is the way atheists see gods. Now, maybe you have that proof. Maybe you had a vision or visitation or manifestation or watched all of Alien Nation and are convinced. That's great. But I havn't had that. And I am not evil or "denying God" because I haven't.

4. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Life has no meanings. If you, all of you, think you are here because god put you, then you are delusional.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Religion largely is the comfort for the poor and suffering. For that reason, I have no beef with religion.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Then why they ask for so much money?
    A few times at church the priest "passed the plate" a second time telling everyone to give more. No lie!

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I humbly suggest a study of The Book of Mormon?

8. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Comedy gold!

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's God are we "disproving" here? The Judeo-Christian God? I'll assume so...

Taking the Bible at its Word, God doesn't exist because that God is inconsistent in his speech and in the application of his practice; yet, he is also determined to be perfect; thus in being mututally exclusive in manifestation, the original premise is incorrect - that this God exists at all.

Now that's not to say that there is no Uncaused Cause...its just not the Judeo-Christian one.

10. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that ignorance thing is bliss, yes.
    And yet, its the very dynamic that keeps the poor and suffering poor and suffering...

11. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    If he existed, don't you think that if he actually gave Palistine to the Jews he'd make it a lot easier for them to take it?

12. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Well, he did supposedly take it away from them once for a few generations and lend it to the Babylonians, right?

Given the rather tragic history of the "Chosen People", I'm rather glad I was not so "chosen".