Prove to me God doesn't exist

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Stogey23, Sep 5, 2002.

1. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Is that the wanker god's name? Can you imagine being a priest in HIS cult? Eeeewwww... No thanks.

2. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Pot...Kettle...Black... Joseph Campbell does not exist. I've searched the internet and all I have found are rumours, theories, and conjecture.

Fascinating.

3. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Do you even know what solipsism is? Without looking it up, I mean.

Anyway, your abject surrender on the points I've made in my recent posts here has been duly noted.

Thanks for playing. Please pick up your consolation prize at the door.

4. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Points?!? What points? You want me to respond to some Egyptian god strokin' his dolphin. I said it was fascinating. Let's move along.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Up yours, you quadragintesimal wanker.

6. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, IIRC remember he arose from the water, and then in a "great act of masturbation" (quoting my Hist 101 textbook) created the world and his two children, with everything coming out of his mouth.

This was one of the few things I remember from college sadly enough. First week of class freshman year the reading assignment was about the Egyptians. Needless to say, I had a bunch of questions swirling through my head after that passage:

-- A "great" act of masturbation?

-- Out his mouth?

-- The Egyptians worshipped him? And this was an advanced civilization?

While you might think that this made for a lively classroom discussion, it wasn't.

7. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    What are you? French? Geez, quit weaving the white flag. You surrender already. Fine, I got it! I understand.

8. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    I just laughed and figured it must have been a guy who dreamed up that story cuz no woman would thought of it.

I took a course in comparative mythology in college and learned about the collective unconscious, syncretism and all that lot. I bet Daskims doesn't have the rocks to look into the subject. Then again, if my introduction to the subject was wanking Egyptian gods, I suppose I wouldn't be too keen to pursue it either....

9. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Same to you, you antidisestablishmentarianistic ass pencil!

10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    What evidence would you require before you accepted that Campbell existed?

11. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Don't madefy your panties, Joey. I'm still here. Only an ultracrepidarian like yourself would think I didn't know what a solipsist is. So either bring your hebetude on or give obeisance.

12. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    What proof could you offer?

13. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    What proof would you like?

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He thinks, therefore he is.

You need to be asking proof about Bush.

15. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Look at the contradictions. Shady resources on the internet show a Joseph Campbell dying sometime in the late '80s. If this fictional being is dead then how can he think.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good fiction doesn't die. It offers a generally universal, moral message that lives on in the hearts and minds of humankind as a source of meaning and hope.

Exactly like Jesus' sermon the mount.

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Proof of Joseph Campbell living are the Star Wars movies, many of which were heavily influenced by his ideas. That is why all the heroes are related and come from noble lines. That is also why the movies are so terrible.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You're just pissed they didn't cast Shatner as Han Solo.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amidala, Yoda, and Chewbacca are related? That does not make sense.

20. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Star Wars do not exist.

21. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Stipulated: your own research has so far not convinced you.

What, had you found it, would have convinced you that Joseph Campbell existed?

22. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > You're just pissed they didn't cast Shatner as Han Solo.

My god, man, the role was made for him. Ford was just friggin sleepwalking though the part.

23. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Because I choose to believe Joseph Campbell does not exist, any "proof" found by me or provided to me will be scrutinized until I find the lie behind the evidence.

24. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Because I choose to believe Joseph Campbell
    > does not exist, any "proof" found by me or
    > provided to me will be scrutinized until I find the
    > lie behind the evidence.

Ahh, now I get the game you were playing at. However, all beliefs are not equivalent. Just because you believe the Bible is true and others here believe it is false does not mean that you all hold equivalent positions, or that those who disagree with you are just being obstinate.

When dealing with things like the age of the earth or evidence of a flood, it is possible to check these with multiple scientific methods. For example, we can see that the earth is not 6000 years old because of many different clues, such as tree rings indicating age beyond that, or ice layers in Antarctica indicating age beyond that, or radiation decay indicating age beyond that, or light coming from distant places indicating age beyond that. The same thing is true of the Flood and of a number of things that took place in the Bible. And remember, many of these were discovered by Christians themselves who went looking for proof of what the Bible said, but having to admit what the evidence actually described.

Now that we know that the Bible cannot be literally true for all things, it is open to things like literary criticism. Certainly there is limited evidence to say exactly how the Bible was written and recorded and passed on through time and combined and separated. But I don't think you should just throw such things away just because you a-priori disagree with what they might say.

25. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Wait a minute, I thought according to the title and genesis of this thread that someone has to prove Campbell did NOT exist?