Props to Utah [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Freestyle2000, Jun 4, 2005.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    We need to identify the culprit. He's got the first round in Hartford (let's not overlook TnT on August 17!).

2. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Joe, I spotted you (yet again) in that picture on the front page!

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah, I spotted it too! I like my "see you later guys" pose :D

Great game, great time.

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm in it turned around pointing up at the flag as to say "hey you dorks, you got it twisted up!" I remember seeing it on the video screen behind us, trying to tell them how to fix it, and then saying screw it and turned back around. In those few seconds, the picture was shot and my backside was on the front page. Good thing there was a flag covering it up. :)

5. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the replay (on Tivo) last night. Proud of my fellow fans in Utah for making it such a special event. Props to all of you who traveled to see the match and hope you all had a great time. Great fun meeting a lot of you at the pre-game tailgate. Hope to see a return match in Utah in a new soccer specific staidum with real grass.

6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    is there any chance that the big screen on the scoreboard could be used to help lead chants/songs? think about it - even for a baseball game, they put the freakin' words up for people to sing along during the seventh inning stretch. any chance they would let someone in the booth to manage that????

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would mean that people would be constantly looking up at the DiamondVision/scoreboard instead of watching the game.

Those of us in SA, we know we're not necessarily seeing the game, we're more there to provide the atmosphere. The general fan doesn't feel that way.

8. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds forced. Or maybe contrived. But I like it. Or something like it. This would involve coordinating with stadium and/or local team personnel. Perhaps USSF could pull weight.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the stadium as a whole for 90 minutes of chants? Not going to happen. Not enough people will respond to it.

Now, for one or two moments during a game (once for say God Bless America or something, and for one big push for "U-S-A" say for the last five minutes...) may not be a bad idea to try - but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It is fighting tooth and nail just to get what we get now. :(

10. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ignore my last comment. You're right. Nobody's going to see the cue when they're watching the bloody match they came to see.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you guys think of trying to have a "injury time" chant - something we start either late in the half (last five minutes) or right at injury time to push the boys to finish strong? I'd love the last five minutes, but that is a LOOOONNNGGG time....

But couldn't you just see the building energy from the stands pushing the team to stay focused and finish the job?

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect song for that:

We did it in Korea for country and at times, it's done for club...

WIPEOUT!!!

Maybe it would be a good idea to form a permanent "set list" of songs that people can manage at any USMNT game, and then include any spontaneous songs/chants as well.

My 2 drachmas.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    time for a road trip to Tokyo? :)

http://www.uradou.com/video/20031103_04_2.1M.wmv

14. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i hear what you're saying - some wouldn't want to look up (although that disinclination should be reduced by the fact that the game is on the diamond vision, and i was thinking about having the chant scroll or pop along the bottom so that it would be in addition to the game on the diamond vision, not in place of it). but even if some didn't want to, i'm not sure that means it couldn't have a purpose. and, i hadn't contemplated it would be for the entire 90 minutes, but rather for some selected moments. it would just be a way for the average or occasional fan to figure out what the current chant is, and join in if they want (and more likely to join in if many already have).

estados ... unidos ... estados ... unidos...

seriously, how much looking up is required for that? it might well help it catch on, and could more easily accomplish what others have suggested might be done by someone with a placard at the bottom of a section.

alternatively, it could be timed for a chant or two that would accompany free kicks or corner kicks, when there is a break in the action. get the chant started, and then people continue chanting while watching the game.

of course, there's a whole other hurdle to get the stadium or ussf to agree, but seems like something bigger may need to be considered to get over the U..S..A..U..S..A.. issue that some are complaining about. other ideas, either to build on this or to take it in an entirely different direction???

15. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    As a novice, I have a question about the colors. Why not make the color white instead of red or blue? Granted, I've only been watching the national team since 98 or so, but ever since then it seems like they've always had a white jersey, and white is one of our three colors, and just about everyone owns a white shirt. Is it because white is a lack of a color instead of a color like red/blue/green/whatever?

16. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I agree. They're plenty of instances where individualistic Americans actually stand and sing (or just sing together) at sporting events. Texas A&M and their War Hymm. Virginia and their version of Auld Lang Syne (that New Year's Song), Michigan's "Hail to the Victors", Tennessee's "Rocky Top" to name a few. It's not just a college thing either. Washington Redskins and their "Hail to the Redskins" (I think that is what it's called). The Philadelphia Eagles and that song about flying, the Buffalo Bills and their version of "Shout". This singing isn't just a European thing. We just haven't figured out how to do this during a soccer match yet. Note in most of these examples I gave though, a band leads these songs...

Also I believe we do not have to sing for 90 minutes, like the Korean fans, to be a factor.

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Dale/Glenn/Jules - nice to meet all of you. I must say that I was probably your harshest critic before the match (See this post ). I think that you did a fantastic job for your first WCQ. However, there are opportunites for improvement - minor things nothing too severe!

Here was my original list with my observations:
    Nicely done. Hopefully, the Loyalists would move into this area to eliminate the quandry of folks who wandered into the area expecting to "sit" in their assigned seat. Also, it's another way to fuse the friendship of other sammers.

no problems.

Not done. Not necessary with the non-intruisive access into the stadium. At other stadiums, searches and security can be excessive.

Not an issue.

Other things for future.
    Discuss with RSL management to make S1, S2 GA without specific seat assignment. This would eliminate all problems. May not be able to be done with current ticketing systems.

Communicate the best entry way from the tailgate. I wound up walking up the steps to the midfield entry only to walk back past the south gates - assume the sammers are morons (or at least a bit tipsy) :D .

Not a problem.

Ok. Everyone able to find something to drink. Even the fellow who had 17 Jack on the rocks!

No complaints. Not Le Bec Fin - but not Denny's.

OK. Though not having FSC was a real downer. Nothing soccer related on. I understand why they didn't want to play the 2001 USA vs. CR (in KC) due to copyright infringement. That should have been verified beforehand. I could have brought a laptop that could play it!

Terrific.

Not a problem. Folks at Iggy's were genuinely helpful - as were most of the locals in SLC!

not a problem. Should communicate the rules (1 drink, food must be ordered to get next drink). Didn't seem to be a problem for most.

Other things for the future:
    - Make sure that the bar/restaurant stays open until 2am (1am if necessary).
    Iggy's was willing to stay open the next night longer, but by that time - a lot of folks found other places. When folks are flying in the night before, it will be a late night especially with a late start time.

Loved how the Bud "girl" and local media were included - strokes of genius!

3. Tailgate.
    Assuming game time at 530pm (local time) with a 8PM start for MLS.
    Not a problem. Though should have announced a 1pm tailgate for this one.

Not a problem.

Next time, see if RSL management will provide Sammers passes to the VIP lot. Otherwise, provide what a pass looks like including color. I'm sure that we could construct our own ;). Other option, have folks "borrowing" legit passes by pulling up near the tailgate.

Minimal information on where to park for out-of-towners.

Loved the car-b-q, the rental grill. You guys were really gearing up to support.

Biggest problem. You didn't communicate your intentions. If you have stated that Hot dogs, hamburgers would be available as long as they lasted for a donation, many folks wouldn't have eaten, brought food, etc..

Communicate. We'll fall in line.

I do believe there was not a problem finding a beer at the tailgate (smile).

Didn't do. I wound up posting this while at SLC. Really should do this next time. Also, should post that good beer is prohibitively expensive. $12.60 for a six pack of Newcastle.

The 3.2 discussion was available throughout the forum.

Everyone seemed to have a good time.

Already discussed. My 2 euros - Real Shirts, fine. Chants in tailgate, no so much. But it was the exception.

Not done. too bad.

Communicate bathroom situation, local group tailgate procedures.

I really liked the donation process. I'm sure that you guys came out ahead - but you could have done better. I would rather just throw a $10/20 then worrying about hot dogs, buns, etc.

Roger thanks for the Pizza - I always look forward to it.

Iggy's was fine especially since I was interested in watching the DCU game - well until we played like crap (oh, different forum).

Consider a different place for variety.
    Consider the player's hotel. I did this with some other fans and it's fun to chat with the players and media (ahoy, there matey - Balboa doesn't really like me!)

This wasn't really done. In the future suggest folks stay downtown, more things to do, pubs, restaurants. I was up at the UofU Marriott which was ok, because I used the shuttle like my personal limo (grin).

I was at Tico central.

Got a lot of good information.

Suggestions for the future.
    Park City
    Temple Square
    Library roof
    This is the place
    Zoo (didn't go to)
    Zion (4.5 hours each way!) - loved this
    Ensign trail
    Antelope Island (didn't make it to)
    Driving around SLC during rush hour (just because you can!!!)

Not sure if you did.

The most important thing that should be done is communicate more and in a more cohesive manner. For example, a single post containing all possible information that could be stuck as first post, almost like a FAQ. It's impossible to either try and retain all of the information or go back and re-read a thread that long.

Lastly, I think you guys did a tremendous job far surpassing my expectations. Thanks for the hospitality and I hope that my suggestions(criticisms) are not taken in any way but observations for future improvements.

Well done.

Joe

18. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ACTUALLY, there is a place where I've heard at least 40,000 to 50,000 (and possibly close to sellout 67,000 or so) sing a full song together and more than once a game.

Anyone who has ever been to a BYU football game knows that after a touchdown the entire stadium stands up and sings the Cougar fight song. I learned it when I was 8 (my first game) - everyone around me sings it - and except for the last 3 years when the team has struggled, steady sold out stadiums have sung it together many, many times.

So, give Utah a few times to get it down and I would be surprised if you heard a song like "God Bless America" sung by 75% of the stadium...

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    the only problem is that there are fewer goals in a soccer game than touchdowns in a BYU football game, and rather than God Bless America, they're cranking up Ricky Martin and Goals, Goals, Goals, for the Red, White and Blue.... :(

20. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously you haven't watched Cougar Football lately... ;)

Hmmm...Goals, goals, goals or Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree...

tough choice...:)

21. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    hehe... it's true, we actually had our 30 year without being shutout ended under Crowton - luckily it was an AWAY game at Utah!! AAAAAaaaaarrrrrrrgggghh!~ :mad:

22. wrendog1

wrendog1 New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Bakersfield
    I Hate The Yewts!! Go Cougars!

23. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    A lot of what bugged me is how the seperate supporters groups would sing different songs, or the same song at different times. The first game oles worked really well, cuz it's easy to catch on to.

I walked on the field, so I can tell you that a lot of the problem with the grass is how short it is, maybe 1/2 an inch, then the dirt was really hard and crusty. I imagine that it would just break and send you slipping. It was a pretty hard dirt.

For those that think that we only got the #s cuz it was the ticos - we'll be happy to prove that we can get more out, just schedule the next Mexico game for rice eccles stadium...
    oh, and I"m a cougar fan, but dang they suck.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get used to it - that happens, even within a supporters section.

25. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    ya. there's also a percussion session at the RSL games that I think should stay in beat with the loyalists. Oh well