Props to DC fans

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by Liv'poolFaninAZ, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    I was just watching some of the D'backs v Washington game and I can't believe how empty the RFK is! DC has GOT to be the only place where the MLS team draws more than the baseball team. Props to you guys. I always see all the fans in that place for United games and you guys get it rockin'.

I can't believe your sharing a building, you need your own!

Mad PROPS!!!!

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks man and even though I'm not a huge baseball fan I think the Nats owners screwed the team before the season even started. They're more focused on getting their stadium built and counting on that fact alone to sell tickets. They could learn a lesson or two from KP.

3. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate the Nationals and what they did to our field, that was a pretty nice comeback vs the Marlins the other day.

4. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not defending the owners and their decisions. Im a nats fan too, and the Nats were far better coming into DC than they are now. Apparently it was felt that they couldnt "do it" with what they had. They were in limbo, so they chose to go with basically what would be a "full on rebuild" Ok. Not too big of a deal.

Im a Washington Capitals fan and season ticket holder as well, so I know full well what a "rebuild" entails as that is exactly what us Caps fans are having to endure now.

That said, it was a thursday night game, against a team that no one around here cares much about, and it was in the lower 40's at the start of game time, and now in the low 30's, with 20 to 30 MPH winds! In other words, COLD. Not srping cold, WINTER cold here. We had snow showers in the area today. The high here today was 46. Average high this time of year is 61 degrees. So its not shocking that RFK was empty tonight. If it is as empty as it was, on a weeknight game in june when its 70's at night here, then ill say something.

However, Just a note. D.C. United's average attendance last season was 18,215. Capacity at Verizon Center, where the Capitals play, is 18,277 for hockey. The Caps averaged 13,000 last season. In fact, United averaged more than the Wizards as well. That beats out both NHL and NBA here in Washington. Not too shabby.

5. kabubbies

kabubbies New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Far far away...
    There is also a hell of a lot more baseball games than soccer games. That has to have something to do with it. That being said I love both, and go quite often (when I am home)

6. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Pretty sure the nationals' average is higher than ours (they're still new, give it a couple years of sucking), but appreciate the props all the same.

Edit: Yeah they were over 26k on average last year.

7. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Good post. I understand why these numbers are seen as something of a landmark and folks want to talk about them, but I think it's equally important to acknowledge that the Caps and Wizards play a lot more games than we do (so their total season attendance is a lot higher) and they sustain that level of demand despite charging a lot more per ticket than United. So it's sorta apples and oranges.

8. JOHNL2

JOHNL2 New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Dumfries, VA
    BigKris is correct, definitely apples to oranges. We have more championships then the Wizards, Nationals, and Capitals.

But I do enjoy the Nats, and can be seen wearing my DC United jacket when at though (Needed it last night).

Seems like the only winning team I have seen at RFK is DC United though =)

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    And that's why I'm boldly predicting that the Nats will win more games than DC United this season. But not by much!

10. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I disagree, I think the Nationals will finish 29-133 :D

11. bluemeanies

bluemeanies Member

Aug 20, 2006

Season record only or all meaningful competition? with all meaningful competitions we're up 2-1

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, meaningful for the Nats means that we stop counting sometime in July.

13. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    True, baseball helluva lot more games than MLS. However baseball JUST started! The first week of baseball is usually when you see all the parks full, then it's starts dying out unless the team is doing well. I was just noticing that the RFK was unusually empty for like, the second series of the season.
    All I know is when DCU plays there I actually see a crowd!

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true in cities with either hope or good weather, or Wrigley Field. A cold front rolled through on Wednesday that dropped the temps a bit.

The Nats had good numbers the first couple of games, but the obvious quality of the team, lack of draw from the Diamondbacks, and the weather drags down the number of folks that show up.

The Nats also have something like a 30% no show rate.

15. JOHNL2

JOHNL2 New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Dumfries, VA
    To be fair, Nationals also have the entire upper-deck open. I wish DC United did that. I miss my 406 row 1 tickets. (It's been a while, but I loved those seats).

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand--crap weather, this season almost seems to be an afterthought (everyone's waiting for the new stadium), and the opponent was the Diamondbacks. Do people in Arizona go to see the Diamondbacks?

OTOH--it WAS the opening of Baseball season, and it barely registered. I haven't heard a single person at work talk about the Nats this week. Not one.

17. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Yeah the D-Backs are a pretty big deal here. Right now everybody is all about the Suns though. I don't care for basketball. I wish we had MLS here.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hi everybody!

Sorry to break up the baseball party, but this has strayed way off topic of blowing sunshine up the asses of DC United fans.

:)

Moved to Lot 8

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly didn't know that.

20. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ignore the first three years (for the newness effect), it looks like the Diamondbacks draw an average in the low to mid 30's.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/dbacks3.shtml

Of course, the spring/fall games are more attractive when it's always sunny and in the 80's.