Proposed Trade on Rapids Board

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EVS, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know if my pablo mastroeni mancrush could handle this.

2. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Are you kidding me? Mastroeni is the first choice d-mid for the United States; for the whole freaking country. He will miss some games, but what we will get in the end is what matters most. We are not good enough right now to win MLS Cup. A player like the Maestro puts us at the same level as New England and Dallas. We need a player with some bite and for that matter, some balls.

Lisi hasn't been good in 3 years. Magee has gotten progressively worse over time. Magee leaves we can play an inspired Galvan Rey. Mastro slides in for Lisi. This team is much better.

If the trade happens, here are a couple different looks for a healthy lineup:

Razov-Galvan Rey
    Guevara-Youri-Gaven
    Mastro
    Ward-Regan-Agoos (if healthy)/Parke-Leitch
    Meola/Wells

And we can sub Ibrahim, Bradley, one of the goalies, and a lot of choices on defense.

We get rid of two borderline starters and get a stalwart of the league for the next 4-5 years. No brainer; bye Magee enjoy the thin air.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As a neutral, I look at this proposal from a MetroStars perspective and all I can say is "in a heartbeat," as in that's how quickly I'd make this trade.

Lisi is good and Magee has a big upside, but Pablo is one of the best US players right now and among the best Americans at his spot, ever.

Yeah, his cap number is high - I assume this is why Colorado would be shopping him (either that or a sudden infatuation with Leo Cullen!) - and he missed games with the nats, but this guy is very good and he'll free Guevara and Gaven and Djorkaeff to be much more creative and effective.

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the mastroeni man crush would not be able to handle this... is this anything more than "there is nothing to do in colorado other than speculate" to this?

5. SteveB2

SteveB2 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Nanuet, NY
    At first blush this sounds great but then when I saw the actual numbers of games he has missed over the past few years it made me wonder who covers his spot for half of the season?
    If McGee and Lisi are gone and with the recent cuts, who would take his place? If we fall back to junior Bradley have we gained anything in making this trade?

6. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that we've also got Suarez now. I'm doubtful that this is anything more than a rumour, but if not, go for it Alexi!

7. SteveB2

SteveB2 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Nanuet, NY
    But Suarez is a defender. Would playing him out of position really be what we need?

8. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but I think he has played D-mid b4. It cetrtainly wouldn'r surprise tme to see BB use him there. If not, Suarez at least allows us to put one of the other versatile players like Regan or Mendes at d-mid.

9. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmao

good one.

10. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    It just someone running their mouth. I dont see the real point in talking about it unless just for fantasy. It would be like if I created a thread and proposed that we trade magee for owen. Until I see it in the paper, I dont see the point in talking about it

11. EVS

EVS New Member

Jul 16, 1999
    I just brought it up because it actually makes some sense. Not Lisi and Magee for Mastro -- I said in the first post that the Rapids wouldn't agree -- but perhaps Guevara for Mastroeni plus some allocation money would work. It would be a blockbuster deal, but it would work financially, would allow us to sign a defender with the new money, would work for the Rapids and would allow us to play everyone in natural positions -- Youri and Gaven at attacking midfield with Mastro and Lisi (or Bradley or the new scottish guy) behind them.

12. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    As much as I would like to see Gueverra off the team, I don't think it would happen.....

What could work would be Lisi, Ibrahim and a pick for Mastroeni. That would solve a couple of Colorado's problems and would help our central defense tremendously by allowing Pablo to play as a stopper or sweeper. That would be a rock solid backline right there, and would have some composure to it as well, and would link up nicely centrally (Meola to Mastroeni to Barrett to Gueverra to Djorkaeff.......) That, my friends, would be a Super Club!

13. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    What is wrong with Gueverra :confused:

14. EVS

EVS New Member

Jul 16, 1999
    I don't think anything's wrong with the league MVP. I think he's great. As I imagine Colorado does. I was just wondering whether Mastroeni, who is also great -- the best defensive midfielder in the US by some distance -- might be a better fit with Gaven and Youri.

And I agree -- we're not going to get a US nat for spare parts. We have to give to get.....

15. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    The likelihood of the Neil Barrett (see other thread) acquisition makes this Pablo trade very unlikely.

16. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Not that it was likely to begin with.....

But, I would make this move and play Mastroeni as a sweeper behind Suarez. He would add some composure to the back and could make some nice, deep runs. Who would I trade to obtain him?

I would send Lisi, Ibrahim and a 2nd round pick and a couple supplemental picks to get Mastroeni. Hopefully, Barrett counts as a TI so that we still have our SI slot. Thats when you pick up former Metro Edgar Bartholomeu to be our super sub in the 75th minute in either the midfield or the backline. A nice left footed player with speed coming off the bench and adding some versatility for 40k a year? Thats nice.

17. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a twit? he creates just as much offense as almost anyone on that team.

18. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    That's got to be as inaccurate as saying Tim Regan doesn't kick the ball up field every time he touches the ball. Or that Chris Leitch is a fantastic crosser.