Proposed Trade on Rapids Board

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EVS, Jul 6, 2005.

1. EVS

EVS New Member

Jul 16, 1999
    People on the Rapids board are in a buzz talking about trading Pablo Mastroeni. The one deal they've talked about with the Metrostars is Pablo for Lisi and Magee. I don't think the Colorado brass would accept this trade -- but, given Colorado's deparate need for a creative attacking midfielder and our surfeit at that position (and our own need for a defensive midfielder), some trade would make sense.

Is there a Pablo to Metro trade that would work?

2. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will never happen as mini-bob plays def mid and we would never sit or move mini-bob.

3. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    I would do that trade in a second, from the Metros perspective. But there's a good chance we don't have the cap space, I would think.

4. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're essentially playing with 2 d-mids now, mini bradley and lisi (playing deeper than his natural position). i think bringing mastro over would help immensely with the development of minibradley. plus, mastro still has it (it being the ability to play)... the main things to keep in mind though are his injury status (how many games has mastro played this year?) and the cap space.

5. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    I guess mini bradley is so good that we have to plan everything around him :rolleyes:

6. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when you're the coach's son, you don't have much choice.

7. soccergrl7

soccergrl7 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    That would be a stupid trade. Especially because they CAN'T TRADE MAGEE!! :eek:

I like the team the way it is now. As soon as all the players get healthy we'll win games.

8. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps a Rapids fan can give input on Mastro's injury status/how often they lose him for Nats. Otherwise, this trade is a no-brainer. Gives us what we've been lacking for a looong time, a big bite on the field, someone who gets stuck in constantly, and who can organize a team defense. Plus he's solid contributing to the attack. We'd be a much better team with him in the midfield. His skills complement our's perfectly.

9. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Can't trade Magee? He finally scores a goal and he's this good player again. It'd be a dream come true, if we can get rid of Magee and Lisi for Pablo. Pablo would be a great addition to our team, if this has any truth behind it, this is something we should not pass up.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Nah. She just has a crush on him. It's all good.

11. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    If we managed to pull that one off we just might be a championship caliber team. Its been like three years since Lisi was any good and Magee never really lived up to his potential (yeah I know, he still has plenty of time) and we have trouble getting him on the field as it is. Imagine how much free room this would give Guevara, Gaven and Youri. Guevara is awesome at getting back in defense and retaking possession, but I think if we free him up to constantly attack we would be a very high scoring team.

12. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    That would be a bad trade for the rapids. Also, do we really want Pablo? He's a great player but he will always miss loads of time with the national team. Plus, Pablo probably couldnt beat out Bradley jr. for the spot.

13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s been injured on and off. He’s been sent off with a red card at least three times. He also gets called up every single time that Nats have a game. That in total adds up to missing about half of this year’s games so far. Just about everything is preventing this guy from playing consistently.

With our track record this season, some of the fans are eager to push the panic button. Though I’m one of the Rapids fans that has no desire to trade Pablo. Colorado is desperate, but I don’t think they’re that desperate. Pablo is a great player and I know the Metros would deal away Lisi for him in a heartbeat, but that kind of trade would never happen. Mastro is worth more than that.

The only way I could see this trade happening is if there was an exchange of superstars. It would be stupid for the Rapids to trade for anything less.

14. whymetroswhy

whymetroswhy New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Hillsdale, NJ
    Probably one of the stupidest comments I have seen on these boards. First of all - Can't trade Magee? What?!? Maybe on my Career in FIFA he is the top Metro goal scorer but in real life he is a twit. Second of all...Can't trade Magee...for Pablo? What?!?

15. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Shouldn't he be in school? Princeton, perhaps?

I understand it is a good place for boys to grow up.

16. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    Yeah, maybe someday we'll lead the league in goals scored! :)

Do the Rapids have any superstars?

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Metro can't make this trade because then everyone bitching about neoptism would have nothing to bitch about.

Oh wait...

18. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Who cares... apparently it is alright to trade the best player at their position for a supplemental draft pick, so we can easily afford Pablo.

19. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Cunningham and Cannon are both excellent players.

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this trade was going to go down, we may have a minor problem:

Mastro-Bradley

Gaven-Guevara

Razov-Djorkaeff

SGR to the bench?

OR

Bradley-Guevara

Gaven-Djorkaeff

Razov-SGR

Mastro to anchor central defense (he's played there as well).

If we can swing this, do it, maybe Mastro can grow some dreadlocks again.

21. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    The real question is whether or not Mastro fits under the salary cap for the Metros. I am sure he does not come cheap and you are looking at dealing two players who probably do not make much money.

The only concerns with Mastro is that he is away with the national team a lot, which someone else stated here. Also, he tends to be injured a lot.

This year he has played in 8 games out of 17, which means he misses more than he plays.

Here is the breakdown.
    2005 - 8 games played out of 17
    2004 - 17 out of 30
    2003 - 18 out of 30
    2002 - 15 out of 28

This means that he has played in 58 games out of 105 since the Rapids got him from Miami. He has only played in 55% of games. There are more issues that national team callups.

I do not think this would be a good move for the money that would be involved.

22. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Wasnt that part of the reason they wanted Pope out also because of all the callups. In MLS, your almost better off having a player who is just below nat level because at least he will play every game for you. Its seems like Donovan never even plays for LA.

23. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I 2nd the motion.

I wouldn't mind getting Pablo and sending Magee & Lisi to Colorado, besides Lisi is from there, so he wouldn't mind going home. He lives somewhere outside of Denver I think.

24. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    This is baloney Pablo for two scrubs why would they do that?

25. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Just because you ha ve a crush on Magee, doesn't mean we can't trade him. I heard Bob was trying to get his kid a blind date...