'Proper' shin pads???

Discussion in 'Referee' started by DaMunk, Oct 27, 2003.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Restart after injury

A player on team B goes down and one of his teammates plays the ball into touch. I know the proper thing is for team A to throw the ball in to team B, but can the CR force team B to comply? Is he in/out of line to forcefully suggest such?

2. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Re: Restart after injury

Technically, he has no power to force the proper result though I have seen a serious debateon this board as to wether or not he should call illegal throw if team A does not do the proper thing. I have no problem with forceful suggestion here-how I do this is based on the level of play that i have observed from those two teams ie. do I think that they know the proper action. With little kids I will often loudly instruct them as to the proper procedure. With older kids U-14 and up I have no problem quietly going over to the thrower while the injured play is being removed from the field and saying "now you know Id like you to give it back to the other team as they were in possesion"

On the same vein, If I notice an injured player on the field I will often loudly announce that fact if I think it unlikely that the player with the ball noticed. I'm not as comfortable with this procedure has it could lead to a very unfortunate result-the defenders slack off and the team in possesion scores. As a result I have not done this in the attacking third