proper ball care

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by DaMunk, Mar 26, 2003.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    I just got a new Nike EPL match ball, but I have yet to pump it up.

I have an adidas pump with the plastic conical needle/pin that I used for the life of an Umbro ball that no longet holds air very well. My fear is that the pump is responsible for the steady leak from the valve of the Umbro ball.

Am I just paranoid or should I get a pump with a tradition metal needle? Also, are there particular things you should do to care for a top-level match ball?

2. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    wear boxers. shaving helps.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you happen to aquire the new Puma MLS ball or more than one, be sure to wash your balls frequently. Be gentle, but thorough. You want to feel every dimple in your balls, this will also help them age better.

4. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Take it easy on the newbie-

Though I admit, witha title like "ball care" it's temping to make cracks.

My guess is that the valve on you unbro ball just went, it's probably not the fault of the needle.

Just make sure to moisten the needle before you pump the ball up.

How long did you have the umbro ball? I remeber I had an adidas ball that eventually developed a bad valve and wouldn't hold air. I had it for about a year. I sent it back to Adidas and they sent me a brand new ball. I haven't had any problems since.

5. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Watch waht surfaces you play on...

Most good match balls will voluntarily lose air, but you could simply deflate it yourself. It lose's air to reduce stress on seams....but ur a bit weary of pumping your ball anyways....

6. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Cool! You used a ball for a year and got a new one! :D

7. ilya123

ilya123 New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    it's just a ball, KILL IT!!!

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've burried all my dead balls in my backyard. It's getting difficult to mow the lawn with all the tombstones though. [Here lies Adidas Questra. Time on this earth spent well in back of the net.]

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you are not going to use it for a while, you are supposed to deflate the ball a little. Like Becks7 said, most high level balls will lose air on their own very slowly as they use a slightly permiable bladder (usually latex).