Propaganda Posters

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by FulhamRev, Aug 22, 2002.

1. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Name calling. The last weapon of a desperate argument.

As for your other swipes, no, I'm not in a detention camp now. If I were, it would be too late to do anything about it. I love my country too much to see it transformed into the hell my parents survived -- through the grace of God -- in Europe.

That's why I bring it up now. And Thanks for calling me an intellectual. But that bit about hating my country...

As I recall, expressing what one thought about the current government was one of the reasons those kids in Concord faced down those red-coated soldiers from the most powerful nation on earth at the time.

As for Arafat, I'm sure the Palestinians are glad to know that they have been offered more than you feel they should have. Most of the rest of the world believes they should have a viable state (economically, politically, environmentally).

I don't condone attacking students or civilians in pizzerias. But then I don't condone launching air-to-ground missle at apartment complexes to kill one man. Apparently, one side in this idiotic war matters more to you than the other.

BTW, there are giant grasshoppers in Central Florida right now. Maybe if you read more than the NY Times (or is it the Post?) you'd know that. And other things.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting book

This is an interesting book that I read in college. It has a lot of interesting propaganda posters in it. The pictures are better than the accompanying text, but if you've got $75 to shell out, amazon.com carries it or your local university library may have a copy. It is a pretty good read into the use of visual imagery to influence the masses.

[​IMG]

3. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

I hate to defend Arafat, because I think he's a fool, but you're wrong about the above. Talks between Barak and Arafat continued in Egypt (even after the start of the infatada, I'm pretty sure), only to be discontinued once Sharon won the election. Both Barak and Arafat knew that Sharon would reject any agreement that Barak and Arafat could have reached.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > We decided in 1980 that we feared an Iranian
    > invasion of Saudia Arabia more than an Iraq.
    > This is a 20 year old story.

Then why are we using 20 year old events (Iraq using chemical weapons) to justify invasion?

> Those " lightly armed, poorly organized, Mossad
    > -infiltrated Palestinians" seem to be causing quite
    > alot of havoc right now to such military targets
    > as Piazzarias and University student centers. And
    > they seem quite well organized doing it.

All they do is cause panic. It is not and cannot have a real military effect. Israel is not falling apart or about to quit because of a few bombs. Whenever they feel like it they can just steamroll the Palestinians.

> [about oil situation] You really need to get your
    > tin foil hat back on.

Don't talk talk that way to the only other guy on this forum to see the truth besides me.

5. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Propaganda Posters

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/fallujah.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/fallujah_2.htm

According to John Pike this is a potential chemical weapon site. The plant could produce civilian use chemicals, or chemical weapons. They could look at the chemical composition of the effluent coming out of the smoke stack to determine which.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/facility.htm

This is a list of WMD sites according to John Pike's site.

One way to determine for sure if Saddam is working on WMD is wait until a radioative mushroom cloud is billowing over New York, Stuttgart, Paris or London. It doesn't take a missle to deliver a weapon any longer, a cargo ship and/or a willing terrorist group to act as a surrogate could do just fine.

6. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree, we do need to re-assess our relaitionship with Saudi Arabia and Israel. Actually, I think that we should re-assess our relationships with every country that we associate with and be a little more stern with them. To many of these countries critisize the US on almost everything that the US does until it's time for their lunch money.