promotion and relegation*

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MetroZebra, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Then I won't rehash

Prove it. San Jose won MLS Cup last year and they may be on the way to winning it again this year but their attendance hasn't gone up.

It's gonna take a lot more than MLS Cup to get butts to magically appear in those empty seats.

But it's not MLS' job to promote soccer nationwide. It's USSF's.

Isn't the Atlanta team averaging under 1,000 a game or something like that? Not exactly the exposure threshold MLS would hope for I imagine.

If there's no money in it for MLS, they're not gonna do it. End of story.

You haven't offered anything that would show it would help, so I guess we're even.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Well, no one can really prove this of course, but my reasoning is just that the MLS Cup & Div. 1 soccer is bringing out hundreds of thousands of people every year right now. So it's hard to claim that there is no allure of our league.

So, I think that gives the teams and fans of the A-League motivation. I really do think if Seattle had a chance to move into the MLS for a season it would bring out more fans, just like the Fire brought out more fans than the Stingers did before them. Once a team makes it into the MLS, even more fans would obviously be interested.

Maybe not 20K a game all season, but possibly. I can't prove it though.

Think of it as a glorified playoff system for the A-League. Playoffs are fun. No I'm not a Eurosnob claiming that we need a single table pro/reg system.

And it might be the USSF's job to promote soccer nationwide, but get serious. Of course it's in the MLS's interest to promote. And like I said, it's a good way to help the talent move up into the league.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? :confused:

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Educatin da n00bs

6. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. Warmth again."

:(

7. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the words promotion and relegation should be treated as the word ******** and SHIT, ban them from BS.
    Good luck to MLS without NY with the new stadium next year, or LA this year. this is the USA, playoffs for 8 teams and no relegation in every sport, don't like it? watch another league.

8. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted in expansion thread an idea for NASL to get together (non MLS bound teams) and buy MLS #20 slot. Get 10 clubs to kick in 4M each and have them play each other in NASL the winner gets to move up. At the end of the year in MLS the NASL/MLS club plays the winner of the NASL and the winner gets to play in MLS the following year. MLS doesn't buy a 2nd Division, the 2nd Division buys into MLS keeping the single entity/franchise model in tact, while allowing for pro/rel, promotion drama, marketing in new cities, bigger reason for NASL fans to support their clubs for chance of MLS, and a wider talent development pool. Most importantly it could end all these threads. :)

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you create your BigSoccer account just to talk about Seattle?

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, assume a can opener.
    You might want to check the date on that post. :D

11. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Or just don't watch the playoffs? Too inclusive?

12. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I have called for a permanent stickied thread at the top of MLS General with a "Newbies Please Read Before Posting" in the title that summarizes all the pro/rel arguments and all the single table/playoff arguments.

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I saw the date. That's what made it so much more awesome. To be fair, he was probably talking about Seattle in a pro/rel thread because we went 23-1-4 (W-T-L) with a 71/27 goal ratio in 28 games in the 2002 season. Qwest Field also opened that summer.

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This was a dumb bump. There's roughly 10,000 like it.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    had no idea the pro-rel thing was already old in 2002.

as for the predictions that pro/rel fading away in europe in the next 10 years, there are still 2 years for it to turn out right :D

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't just old it was really F-ing old. See my first response for how goddamn old it was.

17. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically you want a BigSoccer Bible. Can I write the "SSS" chapter?

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's funny. It's also amusing to see that bunge used to at least argue in support of pro/rel.;)

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have the webcred

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Not exactly. I just see so many really bad arguments against it I play devil's advocate. I think it could work, although I'm not a Eurosnob who thinks we have to have it. I think with a country the size of ours it could easily work and solve a few issues.

That said, if I never see it in my lifetime I don't think I'd notice.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I was careful to only say you argued for it, not that you supported it or wanted it in place.

22. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    everything is terrible...

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was talking about pro/rel as a future solution (beyond 2010) for NASL and USL. Before that he was talking about the 3rd division. What he was referring to is what will happen after 2010 when both groups will get their 8 clubs+ and try to both get the division 2 sanction. He was offering a hypothetical solution in the future where maybe there was a way for one of the groups to be the 2nd division (maybe NASL for example) and USL as the 3rd division could get promoted up to the 2nd division. It was pure speculation but he was not talking about MLS single entity franchise system. I have started a thread on here talking about the 2nd division buying an MLS spot to create a pro/rel that way. But that is the only way it could ever happen, these are franchises and the MLS franchises who bought in will never drop down to anything else other than MLS EVER. If a bunch of 2nd division guys get together and buy an MLS slot...that is a possibility at least in theory. An agreement between NASL and USL to have future pro/rel is also a possibility.