Projection - 2004

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by rapidfan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    IMO - with a New SI in for Fraiser, a health Stewart, and Kingsley taking Henderson's spot, the Rapids have a good shot at first or second place in the Western Conference in 2004

F Spencer, ZiZi (carrerri)
    M Chung, Pablo, Beckermann & Kingsley
    D Kotschau, Borchers, New SI, Stewart
    GK Cannon

2. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    That's a pretty strong starting lineup but what needs to be addressed is the bench. Again, Hanki and the Rapids were exposed in playoffs without a significant bench presence. Once CC came into the game, Hanki made no other moves. This has got to be addressed as well as who to replace who in the starting lineup.

And for what it's worth, Fraser will probably be sticking around if Hanki is gone. If he stays, I'll bet we see a bunch of retirements.

BTW, Spencer's contract is up for renewal this season and their hasn't been any news about if MLS is going to offer him another deal or if Spencer would accept one if offered. Pablo is also up for renewal so there are some serious issues to address along with canning Counce and Hanki.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Projection - 2004

This team could see a lot of changes. I wonder if any players (such as Spencer) would leverage their signing dependent upon new coaching? I don't think that would necessarily happen in Spenny's case, but I'm wondering if some of the other players are thinking this way?

It's happened in other sports, and it's pretty clear from a fan standpoint that Spenny (or Pablo, or Chung) are more important than our dime-a-dozen coach.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The loss of Pablo and Spenny would be bad news. I've got to think Spencer will re-sign because where else is he going to go? He is an aging Euro who is playing well here and can get some money out of MLS. Meanwhile, Pablo wants to go for some big money overseas. I can see him leaving if his contract is up. He'll go over and try to get something in Europe. Hopefully Powell can stay healthy after a good offseason.

5. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    If hendeson goes i would like to see us get a trade for a starter from another team.. I don't want to go with kingsley for a starter. when henderson was out he had been tried as a starter and didnt' do the job..

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    What do you think of Henderson as an outside defender?

7. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I don't see that happening, not that he wouldn't be good at it.

I thought Henderson had an ok year. Not near his 2002 season but if you look over the course of his career, it was right on pace with his normal production. He did tire more easily at the end of games but I still think that teams needed to keep track of him on the offensive end because of his reputation. I would bring him back as a right midfielder but would fortify my bench with someone other than Kingsley as a backup.

Zach just didn't look like he was hungry this season. Last season, he was playing out of his mind because is meant a possible MLS contract. After he got that, he looked like he coasted a bit.

8. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powel will start.....either he or Pablo may move back..

F Spencer/Roberts
    M Chung Beckerman Powell Henderson
    D Bortchers Fraser Pablo Stewart
    G Cannon

They will dump salary with Garlick, maybe Fraser/Kotschau/Henderson if they think they can do as well with younger (cheaper!?) guys.

R

9. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO

At some point, the Rapids organization will have to make a decision about youth over age, especially with Fraser. With Stewart coming back, I think 2004 is the year. Fraser did have a pretty solid year but he anchored the backline the past two years of the team that gave up 46 goals in 2002 (second worst in MLS) and 45 this season (third worst). Not all his fault but you can't blame this season on Pibe's lack of mobility (something he did last year).

And, some of you are totally underestimating Kotschau. He was benched during the opening of the season but came on and help solidify the back four for the rest of the season. I think he should stay.

I would put Pablo at right back and move Stewart inside. That was where he was playing when he got injured but he also proved he could play on the right as well. This way you get Powell and Pablo on the field at the same time and not lose the development of Beckerman, who had a really good year.

I also think that Carrieri deserves to start up top before Zizi. Zizi's touch is horrible and he didn't help others score like CC.

Just my $.02.

10. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Projection - 2004

I am in total agreement... Since Carrieri's arrival ,each year he has contributed,stayed HEALTHY and has earned a starting position.Only change to the posted 2004 line-up IMHO would be the Carrieri start with Spencer.

11. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Forwards - I disagree with Zizi starting over Carrieri. Carrieri may not have been a goal scoring machine this year, but he has developed into a much more mature and in some ways, dangerous players. What he needs is to regain his confidence and shoot the ball at the net (a major problem with this team this year...so many great looks at the net blown by not taking the shot or by trying a cutesy back-heel pass - yeah, you Spencer).

Spencer stays, if he wants. I like Zizi as a bench player or a guy who can start when we need some more midfield pop.

Midfield - I bet Mastroeni is gone. I wouldn't give the starting role to Kingsley yet. I think he can be a good player with the effort, but he needs to earn the position. I think midfield is starting to look weak for us...especially if we depend on the oft-injured Powell for depth here. I am hoping that Henderson retires - I just wasn't impressed with his play...not so much his scoring production, but more his crisp passes onto the feet of opposing players.

Defense - Kotschau, Stewart, Borchers...The big question is will Frasier retire? Its hard to say that we should make no changes here when our defense hasn't, overall, been that great.

12. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Defense - 2004

In the back, I like Kotschau (left), Stewart (right), and Borchers (central). IMO - use an SI chit to secure a top flight central defender to organize the back line.

13. MockaMooDoe

MockaMooDoe New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Re: Defense - 2004

I say use the SI slot and get us an ATTACKING midfileder like a Guevara(Metros) ---that is what we need the most--If Pablo stays we have D-mid and can use Beckerman at D-Mid when Pablo is at the Nats or Red Carded :( .......

I like Stewart, Nat, Richie, in back --Maybe look for Draft for another defender (Like Dunivant-SJ)..Hart is not a DEFENDER and was beat or out of position too many times to count--If you look --most of the goals scored in the playoffs (and maybe regular season) were form Hart's side --He would be a better sub or replacement for Hendo

14. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An SI bench player is ridiculous. Every SI in MLS should be a starter or be gone.

Indeed, the MLS contract should stipulate that if an SI fails to qualify as a starter he can be released. An incentive for the player not to use MLS as a retirement haven and an option for the team to unload an underperfomer.

15. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Re: Re: Re: Projection - 2004

I agree with you in theory. Absoltuely. I was just speculating as to what I'd do with the players we have, thinking more about their potential and less about status, SI, or contracts.

Besides, if Zizi is an SI, and he is engaged or married to an American, we should be working with him to get him a green card.

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    ZiZi could move into Fraser's spot if he retires perhaps?

17. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Man, I'm not sure where you've been buying your weed lately, but can you hook me up?

18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't he played there for Liberia? Not that, that would be any endorsement, but I don't know if it really indicates that GoRapids is getting anything better than the average tea leaf.

19. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    One of the best things they could do before signing/drafting anyone is to go over to Elitch's and borrow one of the signs that sits in front the roller-coasters. You know, the ones that say "YOU MUST BE AT LEAST THIS TALL TO RIDE THIS RIDE!" No offense to Spenny, Chung and CC, cuz they get the job done for the most part, but can we please not pickup anymore players who are under... oh say, 5'9?!?!?!?!? It would just be one less thing to worry about. I keep picturing SJ's big thug defendner Craig Waible marking Spenny, with Spenny coming up to his armpits (maybe), the pair of them looking like Dr. Evil and Mini Me.

20. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Sure I can hook you up! Maybe we can meet up on the hill :)

No seriously, that IS where he's been playing for Liberia ... and the report of him playing his one game for the Rapids on the back line ... he sounded solid. I totally forget which game that was though.

21. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    1. I thought Zizi's defensive time with Liberia was spent out wide, but I could be mistaken.

2. Against Guatemala, Zizi played the second half out of defense, but he was playing more of a stopper or advanced defender -- hardly a stay-at home sweeper or flat back central defender, a la Fraser.

3. Against Guatemala, even when on defense the only thing Zizi wanted to do was win the ball and carry it forward in attack. Which is of course, what our d-mids should be focused on...

22. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    ATTACKING midfield play

I like the strategy of two holding/defensive central mids (Pablo & Beckermann) with Chung & Kingsley pushing the attack from the ouside. IMO - this strategy is the best fit for the skillls of these four players.

23. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Re: ATTACKING midfield play

As long as they can find the strikers' feet or play over the top of the defense on the run.

Although quite a few goals did come off of crossed services this past season.

24. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ATTACKING midfield play

I argued for a similar approach during the season. During the winning streak I think we got a bit of that. For all the beating-up Kingsley's received he made some big contributions while Henderson was out in late June early July..

Looking ahead there are three things that need to be addressed for next year. If Kingsley plays we need a much better defensive player behind him. Kingsley doesn't bring the same intensity that Hendo does, and when Hart pushed up it really left us exposed.

The second item is that the two central players need to be able to combine a bit between each other to keep the defense honest. I don't think Pablo and Beckerman did this very well. Beckerman and Trembley were better at it. I'm assuming that Pablo will look to go abroad so I hope that Beckerman and Powell can form a solid tandem. Who knows Beckerman likes Reggae, Powell's from Jamaica, simpatico.

The third thing is that a forward who's good in the air would really help our attack. I don't think we need a back-to-the-goal target, but a mobile player with heading ability would be key. I had hoped that Schmidt could develop this season into that guy. Zizi hasn't displayed a lot of heading ability. Is there any hope for Blake?

25. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Well, then maybe Zizi should play d-mid. The Rapids are a bit thin at this position... ;)