Projected Lineups/Depth Charts 2012 version

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by yellowbismark, Feb 3, 2012.

1. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davide Chiumiento?

2. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    On the bench, I'd probably swap out Diop in favor of Dwyer. I don't remember Diop making the bench much last year. I would also guess that Thomas is in the mix to make it. I'm guessing Saad/Dwyer get one spot regularly with Thomas the other. Presumably Peterson is in the mix there as well.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD is a bit of a mystery right now. It's unclear what formation they'll use with David Ferreira's return. But I'll give it a go.............and just for the hell of it I'll use a 4-2-3-1.

Also keep in mind I'm assuming George John doesn't return from West Ham. He's there on a loan with an option to buy.

---------Perez--------
    Shea----Ferreira--Castillo
    --Hernandez---Jacobsen--
    Benitez--Pertuz-Ugo--Loyd
    -------Hartman---------------

FCD is flying waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under the radar this off-season. The recent MLS power rankings had them 11th. This after they finished with the 4th most points in 2011. That was without Ferreira and any forward capable of scoring goals. Perez is potentially a huge upgrade at the forward spot. The dynamic DP Castillo will replace Chavez/Jackson on the right. If the Colombian U23 Pertuz or the most "MLS-ready" centerback from the draft (Matt Hedges) can replace George John...............look out. This won't be the 11th best team in the league.

The big concern will be losing Shea for the Olympics (if the US qualifies) and various USMNT friendlies/WCQ. Or hell, losing him on a mid-season transfer is a possibility this summer..............

And of course after Blas Perez at the forward spot, Luna & Castillo would seem to be the backups at forward. They're VERY HIGH on both, but they're both unproven.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I actually think it looks more like this right now; even to the coaching staff of Houston. It is too early to fit Clark in on the right until we see if Davis is ready to go (hasn't played yet in pre-season). Also, I know they want a forward upgrade, but without one I am not sure who the starting two would be (not sure Weaver and Carr are 100% right now either).

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Bruin, UNKNOWN, Davis, Camargo, Moffat, UNKNOWN, Ashe, Cameron, Boswell, Hainault, Hall[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Bench: Rolfe, Weaver, Taylor, Watson, Dixon, Sturgis or Sarkodie (depending on opponent), Deric

5. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diop was actually on the bench quite a bit last year, but has probably moved down the depth chart with all the offseason acquisitions (Thomas in particular). Peterson may be ahead of both Saad and Dwyer because of his MLS experience. I might go with Olum rather than Cyrus, since Olum can play at both CB and DM (much like Cesar). The good news is that these will be difficult decisions--although the best XI is largely set, SKC is pretty deep across the board.

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, remove either Magee or Sarvas and insert Juninho....

:)

7. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He hasn't been starting. Renniw has spoken positively about him, so unless we trade/sell him, I'm guessing he is our offensive super-sub. I'm a massive fan of Dede, but I understand the choice not to start him, as his brilliance comes and goes like the wind.

And he's awfully expensive for a sub. =S

8. burnsbabe

burnsbabe New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that Songo'o gets the starting spot right away over Zizzo or Marcelin (who you didn't even put on the bench). IF he gets signed then he might worm his way into the Starting XI by mid season. Things get even more interesting whenever Horst returns.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Simon Dawkins has been signed, he'll likely start in the midfield, though exactly where remains to be seen.

-G

10. burnsbabe

burnsbabe New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty official now. The Timbers have signed Songo'o so you can expect something like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Nagbe, Boyd, Alhassan, Jewsbury, Chara, Songo'o, Danso, Brunner, Chabala, Mosquera/Palmer, Perkins[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

11. i giallorossi

i giallorossi Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyndman gave the 4-4-2 a run-out in the last scrimmage against SMU and was impressed. In it, he used Perez and Castillo as dual strikers and indicated he could trend that way once the season starts. I tend to like that idea, with Ferreira sliding in underneath. Nobody who's seen enough games of theirs is all that confidence in an FCD striker, so as much as I'd love to see Perez flourish by his lonesome, I'd much rather he have a partner until he develops. God knows Luna shouldn't be left alone anymore.

12. i giallorossi

i giallorossi Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey's role here interests me. Would Vermes not drop him back further into the midfield to accommodate Bunbury? Seeing as Convey has played more of a defensive role lately, albeit begrudgingly, I'd imagine SKC would be better off using him as more of a winged midfielder rather than as a pure left winger. I know they'd like to find a replacement for Bravo, but will Convey take to that role better than one where he's closer to midfield?

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Sounders lineup prediction following the trade:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Johnson, Montero, Fernandez, Evans, Alonso, Rosales, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Parke, Johansson, Gspurning[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Bench: Meredith/Weber, Scott, Ochoa, Burch, Sivebaek, Carrasco, Cato

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Salvadoran winger Jaime Alas might join the Earthquakes, not to mention that the team is also looking to add some more depth to the defense.

Stay tuned...

-G

15. TrottS

TrottS New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll try to guess for Montreal since nobody did it it. Just by looking at the preseason, I think the lineup should be similar to this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Miguel Montano, Eduardo Sebrango, Felipe, Patrice Bernier, Davy Arnaud, Sanna Nyassi, Josh Gardner, Shavar Thomas, Matteo Ferrari, Zarek Valentin, Donovan Ricketts[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Subs: Evan Bush, Tyson Wahl, Andrew Wenger, Collen Warner, Lamar Neagle, Jeb Brovsky, Sinisa Ubiparipovic

I tried to guess, but there's a big chance it will be very different from this.

(I didn't include Justin Braun, Justin Mapp and Hassoun Camara because they didn't play a lot during preseason because of small injuries, but they are all somwhere near the starting lineup (especially Braun) and should play at the beginning of the season. Nelson Rivas will also be out for a longer period because of an injury.)

16. Sharmuta

Sharmuta Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Justin Braun, DP, Felipe/Nyassi, Bernier/Camara, Arnaud, Mapp/Neagle, Valentin, Nelson Rivas, Matteo Ferrari, Wahl, Donovan Ricketts[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I think the team will look something like this when everyone is healthy and assuming that the DP they signed is a forward.

17. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eduardo Sebrango still plays? I saw him play for the Vancouver 86ers vs San Diego Flash back in the late 90s. What is he like 40 now?

18. TrottS

TrottS New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's now 38. He's on trial with the team and, from what I heard, he's doing pretty good in the preseason. I think he deserves to play at least one year with the team in MLS for everything he did for them. I'm pretty sure the announcement of a 1 year contract for is not far for him, especially since Ching is gone and the Impact needs some firepower up front.

19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I sort of agree. Sebrango is one of the most decorated players in A-League/USL history. It would be heartwarming to see him get on an MLS pitch this year.

20. TrottS

TrottS New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He just signed a new contract today!