Projected lineups and formations for '14 season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Dec 13, 2013.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't like having 2 non-box to box defensive midfielders. Didn't last year, don't this year, even if it's Jones

2. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006

Where does Own Goal line up? Oh, never mind -- left center.

Boloni86 repped this.
  3. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey just wondering if you could enlighten us all as to the name of a single player that could be described as a "defensive box-to-box midfielder." In my mind, the two roles encompassed in that description are mutually exclusive barring access to the world's stock of EPO. With our "wing" players' tendencies to cut inside, I honestly am not sure a box-to-box type player wouldn't just get in the way. I'd rather have two holding mids to let the front four concentrate more on what they do best. Of course, Pontius and DeLeon may have to learn to cross now that they have a talented, but very whiny center forward to aim for, but I'd be willing to bet Franklin supplies EJ with more assists than anyone else.

benni... repped this.
  4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what a 'defensive' box to box midfielder is, but I get the desire to evolve past the side by side DM's. It is my opinion, and if I selectively pick and choose OPTA stats and chalkboards from last year's games :) , that they are redundant and their effectiveness in defense and possession is negligible. Kitchen showed that often his passing range is within a 10 foot radius, and he is not mobile in that he doesn't make himself available for anything other than an immediate pass back. There needs to be, imo, a link between the defense and the offense, one that is able to move into space and facilitate with something resembling a variable manner. Also, a player in this position is able to win balls and pick up second balls further up the field, aiding in counter attacks and easing pressure on the back.

JRHokie and Boloni86 repped this.
  5. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I'm not sure that shammypants was saying that there is such a thing. Perhaps, his comment would have been clearer with better punctuation: 2 non-box to box, defensive midfielders.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sergio Busquets.

The problem, of course, is that defensive or defensive-minded midfielders that can and do go box-to-box, and know how to contribute to the offense without getting consistently caught out of position upfield and allowing their defenders to be overrun as a result . . .make way too much money to play for teams in MLS.

nobletea repped this.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Pretty much

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Agree that kitchen needs to step up now. Show that he's actually developed his weaknesses since he came.

9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, that being the case, there's not much point in being disappointed we didn't pick up such a player, right? Otherwise, I'm disappointed we didn't pick up Sergio Aguero and Lionel Messi.

10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Well in that case I would rather we find a pure attacking midfielder, someone with goal scoring or big assist generating chops.

11. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Busquets is an ideal. There are players like that existing in MLS right now. Rosell, Evans, Will Johnson.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Disagree. He can cover the ground, pass the ball, and win the ball. But box to box in the traditional sense? Na

Yaya, Paulinho, Strootman, etc. Are players I feel are box to box

13. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he certainly isn't in the 6 yard box very much; but he does move forward, even into the 18, quite a bit. But you're right that a player like Yaya Toure is a better example of what most players mean by an expression like that -- Busquets was just the first player I thought of in response to the question of "name a single player like that."

And hey, I'd love to have Strootman here! I'm not sure how @JeremyEritrea would feel, though.

benni... repped this.
  14. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This goes back to something I talked about a couple months ago around here: What kind of player do we expect Perry Kitchen to be, and what kind of player will he be? Because he might end up in your list.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The player I'd like him to grow towards is Michael Bradley.

The problem is, to get there, I think he needs better developmental coaching than he's going to get here.

Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player that can play with his head up would be a good starting point. That's harsh, but I'm making a point.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I see him being like Richard Mulrooney, in style. Primarily defensive, good distribution.

On a world stage? Gerrardo Torrado? Dunga? On lower level? Protect defense.

18. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to bag on Kitchen. He really came on at the end of last year. He showed me something with the ball at his feet under pressure, a slickness to his game I didn't anticipate.
    I think we all see a player that's only scratching the surface of his potential.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Our development record at the first team level is horrendous.

Taken. I think he had no confidence last year. Maybe we'll see greater returns this year.

20. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I hate all of those players. But the comparisons are apt to where his game is at right now.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not his nature to be swashbuckling up and down the field. That's why I can't see box to box in his immediate future. If his passing and touch and awareness can improve, he doesn't have to be. He can help transition or build from right in front of the back 4.

22. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he's grown. Just not fast enough so far.

With some more time, he might get more of that swagger down the field. But, even if he doesn't, I'd like to think that working on his heading game and long range shots, in addition to his improving passing and ability to hold the ball (yes, it did improve), would make enough of a threat that if everyone else is marked you can get the ball to him with a reasonable expectation to score a goal. That's box to box enough for me. I don't expect him to open up the defense, bend it around the wall, or dribble 3 guys to poke it past the keeper after making a massive take away on our end.

If so, we're buying 3 other guys with his transfer money.

benni... repped this.
  23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Fair enough, I'm with you hoping it works out like that.

24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #99 shammypants, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    ------------------------------------HAMID-----------------------------------
    FRANKLIN----------JAKOVIC-----------BOSWELL---------------KORB
    -----------------------KITCHEN---------------------------------------------
    DE LEON----------------------------------SILVA----------------PONTIUS
    ----------------ESPINDOLA--------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------JOHNSON-----------------

Looks like for now

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I would like if Silva can play there, but I would doubt that he has the discipline, and mind set.

Square pegs, round holes

Boloni86 repped this.