Projected lineups and formations for '14 season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Dec 13, 2013.

1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Bootsy that you can't pick Mullins or anyone else out of the superdraft when what you need is a starter. Our most obvious pick would be one of the available defenders. If we pick Mullins, we still need a real proven better than average MLS forward that can hold up, get separation, has a good shot, _and_ can use his head. Espindola would help, but doesn't fully fit the bill.

The conundrum here is that Mullins is as close to a sure thing as you get out of a forward in the superdraft, and that's very valuable - eventually. We won't realize that value unless we pick him, and if we don't pick him, some other team will realize that value. It isn't entirely a zero sum game, but it kinda is. Not only in cash, but in competition. Can we shut this guy down, and can we shut down the player this guy is likely to become? It's also a risk. He'd be playing in front of friends and fans - as close to a home crowd as he'll get, being from Louisiana. I don't think that's as important for a defender, and wouldn't be true for the ones we might choose anyway.

My mantra, as always, is look to acquire the players you fear.

Tough call. I'd be working like the devil to wrap up as many of the loose ends as possible to clarify this choice before the superdraft.

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying he's a proven goal scorer either. To me, he looks like he has good touch, good vision, and a scorer's instincts - something we haven't had on this team for a while. And IF we do get Eddie Johnson - a proven goal scorer (as is being blogged now by Steven Goff), we could bring him along slowly instead of just throwing him into the deep-end, and letting him sink or swim.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can DC United pick anyone but the best player available?

Barbieri repped this.
  4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By having Dave Kasper making the decisions...

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I meant how can we here on BigSoccer suggest anything other than that?

Barbieri repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, technically, WE weren't suggesting it, I was. In my defense - I'm a bad person, and probably deserve stoning. :unsure:

;)

Barbieri repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Value and quality aren't the same thing when you're talking about different positions. I'm not suggesting that Mullins is definitely better than, say, Birnbaum. All things being equal, you're probably safer choosing a defender than a forward, in terms of getting MLS quality minutes. Forwards are always the most highly touted, highly paid, and highly sought after, because special forwards are rare, which means most of the forward picks in the first round will turn out to be nothing special, and that makes them bigger risks. If Mullins pans out, he's a gold mine (either for his play or his value on the market). If Birnbaum pans out, he's just another solid defender, because we can replace him at a reasonable cap hit. That isn't to say one's quality relative to their position is different, but the value is potentially very different. So Birnbaum might be the better quality player. I just don't know.

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think the chances are that we bring on EJ or an EJ level/type player, pick up Espindola, and draft Mullins? With Doyle on board, the rookie in the wings, Silva, Townsend, and potentially Pontius, it's getting awfully crowed up there. I can see us moving Townsend, but that doesn't alleviate the congestion much. I don't know myself. We do have all kinds of other needs to address.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We also have a very congested schedule

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we pick up EJ AND Espindola. As you said, we have too many other needs to address.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that we will get EJ, but that's what's being bandied about in the press (primarily Goff), that we're going after him hard. I also don't know if we're going after Espindola in the RED.

I don't really see Pontius as a striker, and I don't know if Townsend will stick, because he didn't show me much skill, but he did show hustle, when he got some minutes.

To be honest, I don't have a clue what DK & BO may be thinking, but they have improved the defense, so far. I continue to hope that they will not only get good quality players, but players that will, more importantly, gel and play as a team.

12. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be that if we get EJ, then Espindola and Rolfe are probably out of the question. Some more likely re-entry choices as of then would be Heath Pearce(who would be the first choice LB here), Joel Lindpere(First off the bench for Pontius or DeLeon), and possibly even Calen Carr(cheaper and can play as a striker or winger).

tallguy and GumbyG repped this.
  13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Whatever we do, I think we do it before stage 2 of the re-entry draft. Get EJ, and I think Pearce becomes a likely target. Fail, and Espindola or Rolfe seems likely.

14. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    If your season's make or break decision is on which MLS rookie you draft, your season is already ****ed. Draft the best player available. Period.

NASI GORENG and Winoman repped this.
  15. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Espindola seem like a safe pick with him scoring 9-10 goals per year the last three MLS seasons.

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are over analyzing the situation. Some don't want us to draft a forward until we have a better midfield to get him the ball. Others want us to acquire a competent #10, but wonder what's the point without competent strikers. And so on. Although I am loath to give the FO credit for much of anything, they have taken steps to improve our catastrophic defense and, if the EJ rumors are correct, are trying to improve the point of the spear. If that works out, a move for Rolfe or Lindpere might be justified (Rolfe can/does play as an attacking midfielder), and then focus on the college draft.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is saying its make or break for this season. But that doesn't mean you don't want to get the right guy for this year and the future. I do agree though that you draft the best available player with the #1 pick. Can't go wrong. If the guy is in a position where we already have a solid starter, he'll still find his way onto the field.

18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand "Draft the best player available," especially since the college pool has proven to be somewhat shallow, and you're really talking about a guy whose impact, if felt, will be in the out years. But I think you're better off dovetailing that decision with your roster if it's a close one. E.g. The point's been made here and elsewhere that Mullins and Doyle are comparable both in age and talent. To establish a team that has good turnover, good training habits, and a sense of history and tradition, I'd submit that in most cases, it's best to stagger the ages and experience levels of your players by slot. In my mind, it's a consideration, at least. In most cases with the superdraft, it's not much of an issue.

19. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they do either

JRHokie repped this.
  20. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Arnuad, Boswell, Franklin and potentially Eddie Johnson? So did we invent a time machine to play games three years ago? Is Ben like, "Yeah I played against these guys... they are good!"

FFS

Boloni86 repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    That was how Phil Esposito stocked the Rangers years ago when he was GM. The breaking point was when he brought in the 40 year old Marcel Dionne to be a marquee player. Our only advantage is that Ben is younger at this stage than Esposito was.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of these guys can still play. EJ is better than he was 3 years ago. Franklin is probably better too. Boswell probably not as much and Arnaud is older, but I don't actually know if he's better or worse. I didn't watch him too closely. The team needs solid MLS veterans and now it has some. Given where we were last year and what we have at our disposal (including our overseas scouting track record), I'm not sure exactly what you are expecting.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  23. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A began typing a long post, but then realized, I have no expectation. That is because I have no clue what Ben really wants a team. Your post is extremely rationale, but I realized I'm a jilted husband with Ben & Dave. I don't trust them. I don't think there is a plan here.

klh23 repped this.
  24. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) You sir are a serious hockey fan. NHL died for me with them. Coincidentally, its when I got into our little team.

25. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I would gladly welcome the problem of having too many scoring forwards on the squad. That squad (EJ, Espindola, Doyle, Mullins, Seaton) would be a nice crop. Someone mentioned Townsend might have to move to the wings to stick around at the pro level.