professional

Discussion in 'Player' started by persianfootball, Jul 1, 2005.

1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    is anyone here considering to play professionally? after watching the toronto lynx play i am positive i can be professional.

2. _portugal_

_portugal_ New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    winnipeg, canada
    when i turn 18(or maybe even earlier) i plan on going to portugal and try to get onto a first or second divison. and try to work my way up

3. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    i have dreams of the mls

does anyone know what things I need to do to get there?

4. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    In 12 months I'm going to Asia or Europe to play some foreign teams all expenses paid by the FO (nothing to do with this thread but it's still kinda cool). In college I'm playing with a semi-pro team, and then I see where I can go after I'm done with college.

5. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Same here, but no idea how.

6. Brejrin

Brejrin New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    T&T
    i'm trying my best
    but its tougher than most think

7. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Haha sometimes I also have the same thoughts watching whitecaps or team Canada in HOT ACTION. To be honest I can't even call this watching because I turn off my TV set after 2-3 minutes. Because it's REALLY exciting :D . Thanks God I have access to channels that show EPL, La Liga etc.

8. Fury20

Fury20 New Member

May 13, 2005
    Nashville, Tennessee
    if you live in the US itd be a good idea to join an ODP team, also it just depends on if college scouts see you at any tournaments. you may not even notice theyre there but they will be at alot of them. If you manage to get on a good college soccer team it will make the path to mls easier.

9. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    He already said he's playing college and semi-pro. I think he's past ODP now. ;)

10. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    If you play at a decent level in CAnada...it's not hard to get on with a pro team...

HOWEVER, it's all relative...would you be satisfied playing 2nd division in Liechenstein? MLS/A-League may be out of your reach, but perhaps you could look overseas in a smaller asian country like Singapore etc etc... cause that's what I did.

11. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN

was it worth it... did you get paid well... was it hard to keep up w/ things?...
    I'd love to know your story...
    I'd give anything to play pro someday

12. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    I don't really want to explain my situation, i just turned 21 and went overseas to play in Asia from end of April to End of June. I played out pretty much the rest of the season.

Pay---> terrible relative to Canadian standards but not "that" bad compared to local stanards. But you see, people playing soccer there didn't play. TONS of free time, i calculated it...i made about $13 CND/hr but only worked like "60 hrs". And at that, I wasn't even on contract, strictly bonus/appearence fee.

Was it Worth It---> Yes for sure...but then again I knew I was coming back to Canada. It's something that I will hold dear to me for a long time hahah

Was it Hard to KEep Up---> No...in fact the game suited me much more then North American Style. My "average" 5'11/170 lbs frame was huge over there. However their coaching reflects on different points. They value different skills. Think of whether your skills are a dime a dozen or "special" in a certain league. Are you 6'4 and can win every flighted ball....? If so, asia might be the place for you ahahah

From a lifestyle point of view, I had been to HK many times but this time was a bit different. I still had the security blanket of my relatives but to many, my semi-fluent communication skills made people still consider me a white person.

But some things to keep in mind...

-before I went overseas (a plan I had a long time coming), I figured who cares about my marks I will play professionally because I LOVE IT that much. But money talks in many ways...it is no fun to struggle to put food on the table....BUT if your skills speak for themselves you will be payed accordingly in my opinion. I was never a stand out player, and was really mediocre at best till the last 3 years. I know I'll never play in the EPL no matter how hard I work. Be realistic of your goals and keep working at it. Nobody would have ever fathomed my success overseas but I credit it to hard work (big time cliche).

-You'll be living in a new enviroment, where people may not speak your language. Not to mention food etc.

All in all, only a select few make it rich playing pro and others get by....

13. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    thanks for the info becks. but those are the most uninspiring words, no offense. they make me feel like ill never be able to get anywhere no matter how hard i work either

14. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    so did you have to pick up a 2nd job or what?

15. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    I dunno what you want me to say...I'm not gonna sugar coat a story for all of you hahaha

That is the reality of life and whereever you work. Top skilled people/players command top wages and the perks that come along with it. So unless your one of these people, don't expect everything you see on TV.

Some people might have different experiences but I can only tell you my own...the level I played at wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't the worse.

16. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    did you make enough money... or have to pick up a second job... or what?

17. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    no I didn't but I was only there for 6 weeks...I probably could have gotten another job but it's pretty complicated.

in HK...it's not uncommont o live with your parents till your into your 30's... so that saves a lot of money there but the wages reflect that unless your a really good foreign player who gets housing allowance etc.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Jay Demerit went from an English Conference side (Like 5th division) to the CHampionship so keep your hopes up!

19. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN

Im only 15 and a sophmore... are there any tips you can give me to help me get to the highest level...
    EX-- training drills, camps, things to look out for? how to get noticed?

anything would be appreciated
    thanks

20. Fury20

Fury20 New Member

May 13, 2005
    Nashville, Tennessee
    im 15 and a sophmore too, if your highschool does good this year there should be scouts watching those games.

do you play travel soccer?

21. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN

my high school team is a joke... i was leading scorer as a fresh last year... at CM, not even striker... and i'll prolly be captain this year...
    but my travel team will be good this year...

22. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    This has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm to lazy to start my own. My coach from last season told the new coach that he hated us.

23. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    I'm a keeper so I can't really offer drills and stuff...

But i think that the higher you go, the better you must be at these things
    -playing QUICKLY, that is you can play the game as fast as possible (when need be). The ability to vary the speed of your game from low (when required) to EXTREMELY fast is helpful.
    -Intensity is much different. Remeber, these people are playing to make a living. One thing I found is that the game is almost dirtier. People commented on me helping an opposing striker up after he tried to stud me (i didn't know that he tried to stud me ahah). Since I've been back, playing with my old club I found it boring because the intensity wasn't there. You have to play with the mentality that you cannot screw up and if you do it may cost your team the game. Demand the absolute best from yourself!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head since these things stood out to me... It'd be good if some other players with pro experience from a high level could offer input as well.

24. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN

thanks man... good luck w/ everything...

any other players w/ advice?

25. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    No they won't, don't get the notion that scouts come out to high school games with a clipboard. It's your job to get noticed, they're not going to come searching.