Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Reading the latest club to lose Cat 1 status.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62208661
    I agree with this but in 15-20 years times it will have big impact on the competitiveness of English footballers globally if heading has not been reduced in the senior game due to the skills gap.

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Every time the FA has tried to limit what kids are exposed to for the sake of welfare it has ended up hurting their development. Maybe it'll be worth it, maybe not. The most important thing is the facts are established and the education is out there.

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I don’t think the FA could have made another decision. Not trialing it would have been seen as outrageous. However professional clubs openly broke the training guidelines last season and I suspect that issue will become more and more noticeable.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They could have easily not trialled it and the outrage would be minimal to non-existent.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The FA always want to be seen as the do gooders so it’s not a surprise they want to try and lead the way.

I’m not surprised that when seniors trailed it, it won’t work but for kids it might work but not really sure but maybe it will emphasise a much more possession based game and might bring out more creativity in players which would be a good thing at grassroots level. Corners will probably just be short corners all the time as there’s little point in getting it into the box for example.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #1408 Fireburn47, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    The pressure has been building for years. It as been the rule in the USA for several years now. I’m not sure they really need a trial for something that is not a new idea. If they decided to publicly rejected implementing it would not have been a good look at all.

The Athletic had an article last year that said banning heading outside of the box during matches would reduce 76% of heading without having a drastic effect on the game compared to a total ban. But it would also mean certain positions were more protected while others remain at a similar risk.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be an all but non-existent look, because hardly anyone would know or care about it.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting one. Moving back down south.

Still got Jebbison, Arblaster, Peck & Potter etc

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  10. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Think he’s a Spurs fan so might of been to good a deal to turn down. Donley and Williams are pretty much the only Strikers at Spurs, looking forward to seeing him in the UEFA Youth league.

11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Contrasting fortunes for City and Chelsea in the youth league today. City beat Sevilla 5-1 whilst Chelsea lost 4-2 to Dinamo Zagreb. Chelsea may have been hard done by as they had 65% possession and conceded 4 goals from 6 shots. City also bossed possession. I've seen people saying that Chelsea are at a weak spot with their academy at the moment, anyone know if that's correct?

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Liverpool beat Napoli in the Youth League 2-1 today. Spurs beat Marseille 3-0 with Donley scoring a pen and Jaden Williams who I think is uncapped for England getting the other 2.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well Chelsea academy struggled last year and only just avoided relegation and have spent the summer buying players in for the academy.

AJ123 repped this.
  14. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Does anyone know what's happened to Emilio Lawrence?

Was widely reported that he'd left Everton for Man City but he's not to be seen anywhere on their website & now he's not been listed under either Man City or Everton by the Premier League.

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

What’s his eligibility for Scotland. With him being born in England he could be one to temp over.

ADM99 repped this.
  16. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He was part of the England camps early on as well so they must be aware of him.

Just such a tough situation to wait for your 17th to play official matches again. Worse the further your birthday is into the season.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He has been 17 since September 20th so I’m not sure it was his age that caused his transfer to be long winded.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

19. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Seems to be re-arranging the deck chairs more than anything. Whenever I see Premier League 2 i'm always struck by the poor quality of it, not a place you want to be spending too much time as a developing player. Not sure there's much to be done though. It's always going to be well below the standard of senior football.

I do find it peculiar certain clubs seem to hold players careers back for it though. A weird vanity project but surely no club really values PL2 success? Notably Leeds have had a habit since promotion of signing a lot of youth internationals then just hoarding them in their Premier League 2 side with minimal first team opportunities, all while signing people of similar ages directly into the first team. 9 of their starting 11 in their play off win the other day was signed to the academy post promotion in 2020.

20. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    This is not a political post but one thing the UEFA Youth League seems to be showing is that Brexit regulations have made PL academies weaker.

It was always gonna happen but other clubs have their XI's packed out with youth internationals, a handful of which are are foreign, while the PL sides all seem to carry a bit of deadweight given they're largely restricted to domestic players.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think also there is more spread among the PL compared to some countries in Europe where the CL clubs totally domainTe the national youth set up’s.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Aren't Chelsea the only English side to have success in the UEFA Youth league anyway? Four time finalists. It's been going 10 years now and the only other English club to have even made the semi-finals was Man City, once, back in 17-18.

23. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    To a degree, but Portugal is the only major nation where its talent is highly concentrated between just a few teams. Even the Netherlands has a pretty good spread

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    In England the best players in the Youth League era have been largely concentrated between Chelsea and City. In the past 10 years they've won 7 out of 10 u18 Premier League titles between them. Newcastle haven't been in the mix as a real top academy in that time so you'd expect them to struggle in the Youth League this season. Even United and Liverpool have remained poor relatives to those two academies in this period.

I do think that Brexit has hurt our fortunes in the competition though. I've had this debate on here recently and the most successful teams in the competition generally make use of signing top foreign talent. Personally I think Brexit has likely hurt the development leagues by reducing the overall level. I think it's better for our best players to be developing in a more challenging environment rather than a weaker one only with more English players. I don't see how this point is provable one way or the other but our best year groups in a long time developed in pre-Brexit conditions.