Pro team in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by orbie, Apr 27, 2005.

1. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I am from Oklahoma and still have family living there. I have been trying to follow the progress of Oklahoma getting a Pro team.

Can anyone tell me where you are at in that process?

I feel MLS is the highest level of play in the US, and Oklahoma should press to be in this growing league. However, if MLS can not be done for any reason is there a plan B for a Div.I or PDL team?

I've read some good things about the Tulsa Ruffnecks NASL. Is this kind of support still alive in Oklahoma?

How are the college programs? I saw two guys from Tulsa University, play for the Boulder Rapids Reserve PDL with another friend from Tulsa. They both seemed solid players.

Any feedback is appreciated. Matt

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have gathered, the Unv. of Central Oklahoma had the best chance in Oklahoma of getting a MLS team. However, even though they had an excellent plan for a Soccer-specific-stadium, Central Oklahoma couldn't find a partner with deep enough pockets to help them secure a team. Last I read, the dean/athletic director of Central OK said that until a new Investor/Owner entered the picture, the Oklahoma bid for MLS is dead in the water.
    Sorry.

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    You know, this is sad because I think that an Oklahoma team would have had pretty good success. Salt Lake City shows that there's a lot to be said for putting a team in a medium-sized city with little major league competition. Unfortunately, with the emergence of San Antonio, the window of opportunity seems to be closing for MLS in OKC. USL might be the best bet now.

4. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now there's nothing going on. And there probably won't be for a little while. Dropping attendance this year isn't helping either. MLS needs to show that they can show a profit and make money before anyone in OK is probably going to put down the cash for a team.

San Antonio could throw a wrench into things but for all the good things coming out of SA are some things negative in the media. So who knows where that will eventually add up. And instead of a new team they might just get the Earthquakes to move out there.

As of now Wantland Stadium at UCO is still the best option. They just finished renovating it for smaller seating. Hopefully we can get some exhibition games back now. I think it could still be easily expanded to original MLS specs.