Printing a print protected PDF?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jacen McCullough, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Hi folks,

I bought two short stories from an ebook website in order to use them in my 10th grade class. Unfortunately, it seems to have a block on printing the stories out or copying them to Microsoft Word. Does anyone know how I can get that fixed? It seems a tad silly since I did pay for the stories and want to use them in a classroom setting (which is permitted under the law AFAIK).

I did try and google a few options, but the only programs that came up cost at least 20 bucks (I NEVER read ebooks, so I really don't want to spend money on an app I'll never use again). Anyone know an easy way to enable copy/print permissions for Adobe pdf?

Thanks!

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacen:

From Digital Inspiration =>

When there are Copying or Printing Restrictions

"Say you want to print a couple of pages from the PDF document but the document settings won't let you do that. Open the document in Acrobat Reader or Foxit and capture the PDF page as an image using any free screen capture software. If there are multiple pages, you may try SnagIt since it can autoscroll and capture multiple pages of the document in one-go. If you want to copy just a portion of text from some PDF page, use a screen capture tool with OCR features (like Kleptomania, Capture Text discussed here) Alternatively, you can invest in commercial solutions like Advanced PDF Password Recovery from ElcomSoft and PDF Password Remover from Very PDF. (These utilities may not recover the password for you - they'll just remove the restrictions from the password protected file)"

Also see Pragmatic Utopia

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you look through all the free readers available? The best one is here, but there are also these.

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Nope. I actually just gave up and decided to go buy a physical copy at the bookstore this weekend. It was too much of a pain (I am not a tech whiz, apparently). I went with a workshop on writing concise essays instead. We also spent about 10 minutes using the adjectives from our vocab unit in Yo Momma jokes. :)

Thanks all for the help, but I was just to dim to get it done in time!