Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Libertadores free on Facebook only in Argentina? That's where I watched it all of last year.

locoxriver repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmmm, really? I’ll have go look into it. I thought they streamed a random game here and there, but not all of them.

Thanks for the tip.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, it’s only free on FB watch for South American countries :thumbsdown:

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mean… You can always change your IP to a South American one. People do that for Netflix, where certain shows are licensed to Netflix UK and not the US.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ehhh ******** it, too much work. I’ll stick to Fanatiz. The service is good and it’s pretty cheap. Can’t complain.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    “Too much work.”
    [​IMG]

Moishe and locoxriver repped this.
  6. manu chao

manu chao Member

Partizan Beograd
    Argentina
    Apr 10, 2017
    In the new season, the best football is played in Santa Fe.
    Congratulations to Union and Colon.

Teak and Chesco United repped this.
  7. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, I picked up Paramount+ last summer and was pleased to find that it carried the Argentine league in addition to the UEFA competitions which is what I was after. Enjoyed the end of the spring season, and now watching the fall season, Groups A and B. Starting to follow Union and Colon, along with Rosario Central, and Tigre (the only Buenos Aires one).

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Brruuuuuhhhh.......

You can’t make this stuff up :rolleyes: How are these guys always ********ing up the tournament format even more?

9. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, I don't understand what they are doing.

There are two groups, A and B. And they keep showing that the top four from each group goes into what? A playoff? Another league? Or South American FIFA competition, i.e., Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, or other?

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Equi Fernandez is so, so good. Such an intelligent player for his age. Boca will definitely want him back when his loan spell is over with Tigre. Unfortunately, Boca did not provide an option to buy. But you Bosteros should be happy. It was smart for him to go someplace where he’ll get playing time. He will also be in Europe within a year or two. We are playing really well, he’s one of the catalysts for the reason why. Of course, Magnín as well.

Colidio, is also playing well. Maybe his best games of the season. He scored and was helping to cause havoc. He’s had some really good moments this season.

manu chao repped this.
  11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There goes @SupaMario again parading with his Tigre jersey overhyping his mediocre players like nobody’s business :D

Moishe repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I expected better from you….

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @SupaMario just how bad was River today? I missed the game (fortunately... I think?)

Anyway, congrats! Big win for you guys. Please take down the dirty bosteros. Thanks!

SupaMario repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Martinez adjusted the team properly today. Remember, Tigre started season very well. They defended and attacked quite well. We were at the top or nearly at the top of the table. It was only the last third of the season where he began to shows cracks.

He used Facu and Retegui very well today, instead of the likes Magnin and Protti. We did not have to be as direct as we normally are. I think this threw a wrench in the back line of River. Zabala played well, and Equi Fernandez was a constant problem in the midfield. He broke up attacks and could lead the attack. The guy could be a top class player and as I said earlier in the season, Boca will not doubt want him back and I he will and should be in Europe in the next year or two. Maybe in the future we have a Fernandez and Fernandez midfield? Who knows?!

River struggled today but I think it was how Tigre set up. River had a chance or two but Pochettino could not convert. Enzo Fernandez goal was one of those we could do nothing about. That ball had no movement and flew in the back of the net. The team did a good job keeping Julian quiet. For most of the game, I don’t recall him doing anything. Perhaps that is the testament to the spirit of Tigre tonight. Or it could just one of those nights for a top player.

The game winner. Armani could’ve perhaps done better, I don’t think he needed to come out as quickly as he did. Colidio I was worried would have too much to think but he slotted it home and it rolled in. It was more about placement than pace.

Diaz is to blame though, there are no ways around it. I think it was just a few minutes earlier where he picked up a yellow, so I think he was playing a bit scared.

All in all, it is a famous win. Racing are perhaps favorites to win this thing but it’s a semi-final and once you get here, anything can happen. As I said, Diego Martinez is very much a modern coach, who will be willing to change the lineups against the opponents in front of them.

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ah, yes, the good ol’ Paulo Diaz blunder.... a disgrace that we River fans are way too accustomed to seeing. It’s long gotten to the point where we just expect him to have at least one ******** up per game.

Between him and Gonzalez Pirez we can make an hours long blooper reel.. it’s quite sad. David Martinez is ok, but not great, and a little overhyped. Reeeeaaaallly hoping we bring in a top centerback in the next transfer window before the real Libertadores starts.

As for Tigre, I like what I’ve been seeing throughout the season. Even in the loss vs Boca you guys outplayed them for long portions of the match. I don’t think it’s farfetched to say Tigre can win the title... you may not be the favorites, but you’re not that much of underdogs as an outsider might assume. Racing may have had their historic win streak recently, but they really aren’t anything that special. Boca is quite poor too and depend mostly on Villa lighting up, but if he’s having a bad day it can be anybody’s game. It would be quite the story for Tigre to win the cup after just returning from second division, and tbh it’s not impossible.

Of course first you must get past Argentinos, who like Tigre is another well-managed side who can be a headache to play. Milito has done a good job there making the most of what hes got.

Good luck!

SupaMario repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks! Appreciate the support. It does seem a lot of the “neutrals” are pulling for Tigre. It is a nice story though. Ascending back to the top flight and coming to the brink.

And indeed, it was two mistakes on that play that cost River. I agree, Diaz not a River caliber player. His lack of focus is evident.

I think a lot of people are thinking that the Boca-Racing game is the final but I that would be a mistake. Argentinos or Tigre will put up a valiant fight against either Boca or Racing. I’m trying not to get overly excited but it’s there for the taking.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anybody else reading up on this Sebastian Villa story? He may even play against Racing, which is crazy…

18. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Tigre beat Argentinos Juniors on penalties 3-1 to win the tie that ended 1-1 after regulation time. They will play Boca next Saturday or Sunday for the final. Boca won on penalties against Racing yesterday after it ended 0-0.

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would lying to say I did not want this and I’m happy just to be here. But I’m beyond proud of this group. They could be the first team and second only since Central who won the league after promotion(1987). Now until next freakin Sunday feels a long time from now.

20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca are so bad lately that Tigre should be kicking themselves if they don't take this, imo, lol.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ahnnn, don’t play that game, dude. I see what you’re doing. The old reverse psychology bit. I see you’re trying to pull the wool over my eyes…
    [​IMG]

By the way, congrats on your Bolts for winning that great game 7. A three-peat will be something else in this day in age.

locoxriver and Burr repped this.
  22. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    So what does the winner of this tournament get entry into? Copa Libertadores? Copa Sudamericana? Is this the Apertura or Clausura?

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The winner of this gets a bid into the CL. This is more of a Cup tournament but has the feel of a league and a Cup tie bunched j to one. It was two zones, where teams were split into two. Top 4 in each zone qualified then it became a KO tournament.
    A few weeks later, the league kicks off with 1 off games. It is always confusing with us. New formats and cups and this and that seems to have changed over the last few years. They may even decide to change things again. Sometimes, you just have to laugh and say Okay…

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the Bolts, check this out!

SupaMario repped this.
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think 80s and 90s football jerseys are the best, in all of sports. However, hockey jerseys have been consistently great over the decades. I wear my Hawks jerseys during the colder months and it is comfortable, keeps me warm and stylish. Those blue Tampa’s jerseys are pretty sweet.

The Edmonton and Calgary second period was insane. 7 goals in that period alone.

Burr repped this.