Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It has more to do with how many teams will get relegated 2 or 3 or how many teams will come up 2 or 3.

Maybe this article will help. But yeah, it is only the AFA that does shit like this. Make up things as they go and have zero continuity or structure. Its
    like me deciding where I want to go to dinner, just go on the fly.

https://golazoargentino.com/2020/03/03/changes-are-coming-to-the-superliga-and-the-promotions-relegations/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly didn't expect River to drop points the last two matchdays but I'll take it! What an exciting finish to the league!

BOCA CAMPEON!!

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fascinating stuff. Hell of a race. I honestly do wonder about if Gallardo’s time is gonna come to an end. He may need a break. Letting the CL slip and now this. Both of the times it was River’s to lose.

4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's also give a heaping dose of plaudits to Tevez, who scored 5 goals in the last 6 games including the clincher last night.

[​IMG]

Siempre_Albiceleste and Moishe repped this.
  5. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yeah, Carlitos had been pretty bad this campaign, but he came in huge in the clutch...maybe a little bit of inspiration from on high, eh? Roman comes in, and the winning starts again. lol

Burr repped this.
  6. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it was the coaching change more than anything.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you know... another structural change to the relegation rules

https://lapaginamillonaria.com/rive...-solo-habria-dos-descensos-20200309-0006.html

They backtracked on their decision to have a playoff game, therefore now only 2 teams will go up/down. What a bunch of clowns... seems they're trying to save good ol' Diego at all costs

SupaMario repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You know, for all the credit Gallardo gets for his historic triumphs, there have been several hiccups in the process: the loss to Al Ain in the CWC ( :confused: ), the final vs Flamengo, the infamous Lanus semifinal, the 2015 Sudamericana elimination to Huracan, the 0-3 defeat to Lanus in the Argentine Supercopa, the elimination to Independiente del Valle, losing the 2014 league title after topping the table all season long, and now this..

Not knocking Muneco, he's still the greatest coach in the continent and one of the best on the planet without a doubt, but we also have to admit that he has had his fair share of embarrassing defeats that could have likely been avoided with different tactical choices. Sometimes he gets a bit stubborn with respecting certain players and styles of play, practically setting his own death sentence.

However, that doesn't mean I want him going anywhere. He has given the club sooooo much and still has plenty more to offer. Many thought at the beginning of his cycle that the 2014/15 season (back-to-back Sudamericana and Libertadores titles) would be the pinnacle of his managerial career at River, yet 5 international titles, 3 Copa Argentinas, and a Superclasico Supercopa followed. Had he left on a "good note" say in 2015/16, he would have never won the landmark Madrid title that cemented him in the club's history. It's hard to imagine, but who knows if he still has another legendary chapter to write.

I think his idea is to stay til the end of his contract (December 2021, the same time D'Onofrio's presidency is currently set to conclude), but I think it'll also depend largely on how the next 6 months go. The guy is a winner who is always hungry for revenge, so if anything I feel these 2 lost titles will push him to chase that 2020 Libertadores trophy even more. Another blunder, however, could likely make him consider stepping aside for the sake of his legacy.

Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like that his first reflex is to make excuses for those hiccups either. He said Boca had easier opponents to play, uh what? We all played the same teams. :confused:

Moishe repped this.
  10. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, but I would guess Russo coming back has something to do with Roman.
    Let's hope the good vibes continue, because there are two very bitter Libertadores tastes that need to be erased.

Moishe repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The worst part of this format for me is that I didn't even understand it until a few weeks ago. I thought they just split the league into 2 after 23 matches, and then you have to play 11 more matches to determine the championship. Didn't realize they hand out the trophy after a measly 23 rounds. I was thinking Boca still had plenty of time to catch-up to River.

So 2 promoted/2 relegated? Guess that means the same stupid format next season (or will they change it just to confuse everyone? :cautious:). Thought they were gonna trim it down to 20 teams.

Guess in a way the AFA looks like geniuses. Its pretty much the only league that wasn't cut short due to Corona virus. :notworthy:

SupaMario and Burr repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFA now talking about going to 30 teams again in 2022.

What the actual ********. o_O

BocaFan repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol So sad, its funny.

There is always a risk of top flights expanding when something like this happens (ie. suspension/cancellation of a season). As it provides an easy/easier solution for the 'what to do about promotion/relegation problem?'. If you just promote 2 teams from every division and don't relegate anyone, fewer clubs can complain. Spain's La Liga considering expanding to 22 teams.

Of course, leave it to the AFA to not just expand by 2 teams but by 6 or 8. o_O

Burr repped this.
  15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They changed the name of the league again aren't you excited?

1262828451674894341 is not a valid tweet id

locoxriver and BocaFan repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have a date for the return of Futbol Argentino!

Tapia confirmed today that the Superliga will resume on October 30th after a 7 month break.

https://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-primera/tapia-anuncio-vuelta-futbol-30septiembre_0_C8WeCLyeg.html

Excited to get some action going again.. Still trying to understand the format of this new, experimental competition, but it appears it will run til January and will not have any breaks throughout (even during FIFA dates):

"Si bien faltan definir algunos detalles reglamentarios, el torneo comenzará el 30 de octubre, tal lo confirmó Tapia y luego Matías Lammens, el Ministro de Turismo y Deporte, y la final se daría el domingo 17 de enero. Y el fútbol que arrancará el día del cumpleaños de Maradona no se detendrá ni para la fecha FIFA de noviembre, ni para Navidad ni para Año Nuevo. Habrá actividad en continuado porque la Copa Liga Profesional 2020 clasificará al campeón a la Copa Libertadores 2021. Y aún falta resolverse cuándo comenzará la Copa Argentina, que no tiene fecha exacta, pero la idea de la dirigencia es disputar dicho torneo -podría comenzar los últimos días de noviembre-, ya que también el campeón ocupará un lugar en la Libertadores 2021."​

The 24 teams will be divided into 6 groups (River, Boca, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, and Velez will each head one), with the top two teams from each advancing to the next round. While that part is clear, I'm a bit confused about the second round, in which the qualified teams will fight for a spot in the playoff semifinals:

"En la primera fase se medirán a dos ruedas los conjuntos de cada grupo: no habrá fecha interzonal o “de clásicos” como se había planteado en un principio. Los dos primeros de cada grupo pasarán a jugar la Zona Campeonato, que determinará al campeón con una ronda de cinco fechas que definirá a los cuatro mejores, que se enfrentarán en semifinales y final a partido único. El campeón se hará acreedor de una plaza para la Libertadores 2021. ¿Y el resto? Continuará compitiendo, con la posibilidad de participar de un campeonato internacional en el anzuelo​

Los terceros y cuartos en la etapa de clasificación pasarán a la Zona Complementación. El vencedor de la misma se cruzará con el subcampeón del lote de los mejores, por un lugar en la Copa Sudamericana. Vale recordar que, para morigerar los efectos económicos en los clubes por la crisis del COVID-19, la AFA decidió suprimir los descensos."
    https://www.infobae.com/deportes-2/...el-formato-de-la-copa-de-la-liga-profesional/

:cautious:

12 teams in the second round, but only 5 matches to decide who advances to playoffs? Ummmm, ok?

Anyway, I'm excited to see futbol argentino again... European and international NT football is great and all, but there's nothing like our league back home. I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Burr and Ron Mexico repped this.
  18. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Kind of sucks. That’s too few games. 11-12 games (if I have that correct) to play in this short torneo. Perhaps it’s because they are starting so late in the year and want to finish by Jan 2021?

How are the COVID cases in Argentina, currently? I wonder if alternative ideas weren't feasible.

19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard it's pretty bad in Argentina lately after appearing to be under control for months. Definitely a weird tournament but MLS had to do the same thing basically so it's whatever I guess. Take what you can get.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, this new tournament can get confusing.. strange format, but they are indeed trying to finish by late-January 2021 in order to begin a new torneo and copa with a fresh slate.

From my reading up on this new Copa Liga Professional, it will be a total of 11-12 games (as you calculated): 6 of those games will be in the first group stage, in which each team will face their other 3 group-mates twice.

After that the top 2 sides from each group advance to what you could call the real tournament (Fase Campeon), while the bottom 2 will continue in the "Fase Complementacion" in order to remain active for the remainder of the year. In this stage, the 12 advancing teams will be divided into two groups of 6, in which each team will face each of their group-mates once for a total of 5 matches per team.

In the end, each team will have played 11 matches, with the top team from each "Fase Campeon" group advancing to play an additional, title-deciding match (single playoff final, to be held in a neutral stadium; penalty shoot-out if tied after 90 mins).

There will be an additional match after that between the loser of the "Fase Campeon" and the winner of the "Fase Complementacion" to decide a Sudamericana spot.

Not too many games, but it isn't bad given the circumstances... the competition practically starts in November, so to get 11-12 matches per team would result in having weekly matches without breaks for the next 3 months. Additionally, they're still planning on holding the 2020 Copa Argentina (which had already began in January), it's just a matter of seeing how they can squeeze in those extra games in this already-tight schedule.

The question now is what will they do for the second half of the season (January-June 2021): have another experimental, short tournament? Return to the Apertura/Clausura format? Begin a year-long season in January to coincide with the Libertadores schedule? Who knows....

megamac20817, Burr and Ron Mexico repped this.
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

♪♪Para el pulga, la selecciooooon♪♪

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another bs makeshift AFA tournament for 2021:

El primer borrador que tiene la Liga puso como fecha inicial del nuevo torneo el fin de semana del domingo 14 de febrero, el Día de los Enamorados.

¿Entonces qué formato tendrá el nuevo torneo del 2021? Los 26 equipos (se sumarán los dos equipos que asciendan de la Primera Nacional) se dividirán en dos zonas de 13 y jugarán 12 fechas, todos contra todos. En principio, los mejores cuatro de cada grupo -ocho en total- pasarán a la siguiente ronda que se disputará como en una copa: cuartos de final, luego vendrán las semis y al campeón se lo definirá en una final.

El campeonato será parecido al que se jugó entre el 5 de febrero y el 29 de mayo de 2016, cuando la AFA armó un torneo de transición para volver a tener un calendario similar al del fútbol europeo y que la temporada arrancase a mitad de año. Esa liga, que ganó Lanús, tuvo 30 equipos divididos en dos zonas de 15 y se jugaron 16 fechas.

Cómo se dividirán los equipos y si habrá clásicos en el nuevo torneo de la LPF aún no está resuelto... Y aunque ya se estableció que en 2021 no habrá descensos en Primera, lo que tampoco está definido es si los partidos de este nuevo campeonato -a diferencia de la actual Copa DAM- contarán para los promedios, que retornarán a nuestro fútbol a partir de 2022.​

https://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-primera/torneo-liga-profesional-2021-formato_0_RsuZdR1mq.html

Ron Mexico repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Given the circumstances I don't think I have a problem with this. Not quite enough time to play every other team once, and even if you managed to squeeze in 25 rounds it is a bit silly to determine a champion from such an unbalanced set of fixtures anyway (they did it for decades with the apertura-clausura format, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid).

So what are the options then? I think a Yank-style unbalanced regular season schedule followed by playoffs is the least-bad option.

Now they just have to fix the groups to ensure that we don't let more than a few weeks go by without River and Boca playing each other. :rolleyes:

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ron Mexico and SupaMario repped this.
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, not exactly the right place but still 9 in 6 games is impressive.