Pride. Passion. Tradition. The New York Rangers Thread.

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by otterulz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The team probably won't go there since that was a good market and reason from them leaving was because of lack of funding.

Great city and a supportive hockey town as for the other teams in the running are Las Vegas, Seattle, Hartford and Houston:eek:

2. The C0SM0polite

The C0SM0polite New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    NY
    Im excited for tonights game against the Flyers.

This game will give us a good idea of how good we really are.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was ours. This shouldn't have happened. Not again. God dammit.

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a win. Was by far one of the more boring games of the year. Rangers PP looked good from the start and they even got their second shorthanded goal of the year thanks to Steve Rucchin. Henrik was solid in net as Pittsburgh looked like the better team in the third. They hit a few posts.

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers vs. Fish Sticks tonight at the Mausoleum. We gave them an asskicking the last time out and I hope they do the same tonight. Interestingly there will stick tickets for tonight's game when I checked last night. Of course none of my friends like hockey so I chose not to go. Bah.

POTVIN SUCKS!!!!

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I don't want to jinx it by talking about it while it's still going on, but it looks like you should have gone to the game.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, tell me about it. Ahh well, I'll take the win.

Final score from MSG II, 5-2. Dominant first period by the Rangers. They were defensively and offensively sound. They had some great passing, mainly from the Jagr line. The PP clicked with 2 PP goals, especially the feed to Rucchin from Poti. The Isles started battling back towards the later half of the second period, and just about all of the third period. The Rangers relaxed a little and the Isles made it interesting. Luckily that beautiful setup on the Jagr goal ended any hope for the Fish Sticks. Weekes also made his first start in a while and came up huge. He made some big stops, especially since the Isles weren't really challenging him in the beginning. Weekes was sharp all game and you can't blame him at all for allowing the first goal. It's good to know that our backup to King Henrik is still capable of some decent goaltending. I just hope Renney doesn't go back with him on Saturday.

The Rangers also need more of a physical presence. I know Colton Orr was in the lineup, but aside from fighting Goddard, he wasn't used much. Trent Hunter and Aaron Asham were all over the place and hitting everyone in sight. The only guy who did any of that on the Rangers was Kaspar. What happened to Hollweg? Is he hurt or something? It'd be nice to have his energy back. And I'd like to see Strudwick get involved a little bit more physically. He's a big guy and the closest thing we have to an enforcer when Orr isn't in the lineup, which is just about always. Too many teams are getting away with roughing and stuff on our guys.

Well, we're tied for the Atlantic lead since the Flyers lost to the Sabres tonight. It's off to Philly on Saturday to take back the division lead. It's gonna be a wild one.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    The Islanders did push us around in the late second & third periods, but we had superior skills, passing and skating, and were able to get the win.

This team isn't a stanley cup winner, and it is missing a physical element. But, they'll have to rely on skill until they can find more edge, and that skill won the game last night.

Real test is against the Flyers, in their buildling. Go and get 3 points there...it's a race again.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Colton Orr will be in the lineup for this one, considering Brashear was pushing everyone around last time. What happened to Ryan Hollweg? Is he injured or something?

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a close on in Philly, with the Rangers this time coming out victorious in OT. However, they blew another 2 goal lead, and even fell behind 3-2 before they got one with less than a minute left in regulation. I think Sykora was credited for the goal although it looked like it went off of Nylander's stick. Then Straka got pulled down at the end of regulation to give the Rangers a PP in OT. Jagr blasted one past Eche for the winner.

Even though we got the win and took back first in the Atlantic, it's dissapointing to see them give up 2 goal leads. It seems like whenever the Flyers start their physical game, the Rangers cower back and let them run rampant. When Martin Rucinsky is delivering the biggest hits, then you know something's wrong. It seemed like once Prucha went down after the Stevenson hit, the Rangers just didn't know what to do and shyed away from any physical play. Still, a win is a win.

Don't know the status on Prucha yet. Hopefully it's not serious and just a knee sprain. It'll be tough if he tore something. Let's just hope he'll be back soon.

11. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the results of his MRI haven't been reported yet, it is to be belived that Prucha will be out for 4-6 weeks with a severe knee sprain. This means he'll miss the Olympics completely and won't play for the Czechs. If he returns as scheduled, he'll only miss a handful of games for the Rangers, which would be the best case scenario. I don't even know how many months he'd miss if it were a tear. Probably rest of the season I'm guessing. We'll find out soon I suppose.

Next up are the Sens on Wednesday, at the Garden. These aren't the same Senators that we saw after Christmas up in Ottawa. Since then they've lost their grip on the NHL lead to the 'Canes, but are no less deadly with the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line, and with the Dominator in net. Still, this is obviously our next big test after beating the Flyers. We've beat up on the weak teams and have won against a couple formidable opponents. Now we have to take down the big boys. I know we're more than capable.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoo! What a game! Rangers beat the Mighty Sens, 5-1 at the Garden. We had a little bit of everything in this game. After a tight and energetic first period, the Rangers got on the board by scoring on a 5 on 3, courtesy of Jaromir Jagr with his 36th goal of the season. Marek Malik then scored on an even strength goal which took a wicked deflection off of Alfredsson, I think. Then Jason Ward scored his second shorthanded goal of the season on a beautiful give and go with Ville Nieminen. Sens got one back, late in the second, but that's all they would get. Third period, Michael Nylander scored one off a beautiful feed from Straka and Jagr. This line is something else. They have some of the most amazing passing skills I've ever seen. And last but not least, Petr Sykora threw one in from behind the net and took a deflection off a Senator, then off of Hasek's pad, and in.

If there's one knock on the Rangers performance tonight, it's that they took a lot of penalties against the third best PP unit in the league. Fortunately the PK unit stepped up to the challenge and blanked the Sens on the PP. Looks like the PK unit is getting things going again. The PP looked ok, but not great. Jagr got things going with the 2-man advantage, but aside from that, the still look a bit hesitant. They're just not getting shots on goal. However, it still does look better than from earlier in the season.

Something really positive I noticed tonight though was that it seemed like everyone on the team stepped up their physical game. Everyone was finishing their checks and didn't back down when getting hit by the Sens. They just played an overall fantastic game and didn't shy away from the physical stuff. I especially loved the Malik/Chara matchup on special teams. Two giants going up against one another.

Lundqvist was once again sensational in net. This guy is a stud. He had some great saves and out-dueled the Dominator. And the cries of "HA-SEK" were raining down from the Garden. 5-1. A convincing victory against one very tough opponent. Next up, a home and home against the Leafs. My buddy in Toronto is trying to hook me up with tickets for that game, so I might be making a last minute trip up to TO.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    "I hope this can turn into a new Garden tradition at Rangers game for the rest of the year. As anyone who watches Euro football can tell you, there is nothing more magical then all the team's supporters standing and singing together. Sweet Carroline is the song that our Rangers have chosen for this year. it is now up to the fans to help start this new tradition. The atmosphere was electric tonight, and it can get even better. If they play the song with 2 minutes left in the game instead of 14 seconds, maybe we can get the entire crowd to sing the entire song at length. This is something that will draw much attention to the Rangers supporters, the team, the building, and the city."

Caught this on the official NYR board.........

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the name of the site?

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. This team is flying high right now. It's a shame the Olympic break is coming with the way they're playing. 5 game win streak, especially against tough opponents like the Flyers, Sens, and Leafs. I think the Rangers have proved to the NHL that they're for real and not some fluke. Jaromir Jagr is just amazing. 2 goals tonight, on the PP, and an assist. The guy is amazing. Tom Poti had a beautiful breakaway to score his third of the season. Petr Sykora got the third PP goal on a beeeeeeautiful wrister over a slumping Eddie. 3 for 7 on the PP and another perfect PK night. The special teams is clicking right now, and I never thought I'd say this, but the PP is on fire. Couple of brain farts that led to the Leafs goals. The first one by Killger was more of a spin-around, hope for the best goal. The Darcy Tucker goal was a brain fart by Poti who went to the wrong man. However he made amends for it.

Best part of the night? Sweet Caroline being cut short on the PA after the faceoff, but the crowd keeping it alive. Sweeeeeeeeet Caroline, bah bah bah. Good times never seemed so good!

Last game before the break tonight up in TO. I hope they don't take anything for granted and play as hard tonight. It's always a tough game playing up in Toronto. Let's end the Olympic break on a high note. Of course, Weekes will be in net so who knows. I hope we see the Weekes we saw against the Fish Sticks last week.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    4 -2, 4 - 2
    TO gets knocked out.........

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Arsehat Dolan wants to move MSG IV across the street and wreck another train station. Discuss.

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a link for that? I'm very interested in knowing what this douche bag wants to do.

By the way, I signed up for that Rangers board. Man, some of these posters are absolute idiots.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind, found it in the Times. Registration required: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/15/nyregion/15garden.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Dolan's a douche bag. I hope this doesn't happen, just to spite him. Plus I like the Farley building. I love the columns and columns of pillars. I'm sure turning that into a giant transit hub would be more beneficial to the city than a new arena. Plus there ain't nuttin wrong with MSG. Hey Dolan; ******** YOU!!!!

In other news, Jagr got hit by Jarkko Ruutu and had to leave the game. He was laying on the ice for a few mins and had to get stitches. I didn't see the hit so I can't comment. Some fans on the Rangers official board are acting like idiots and are calling for Ruutu's head and death to all Canucks fans.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Yes they are very stupid. Yet those are the hardcore NYR season ticket holders. odd.... Thought they'd be a smarter lot.

Glad you signed up there. Oh yea. Hi !

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The best thing that could happen to NYC would be Amtrak at Moynihan Station, with NJ Transit taking over the old AMtrak digs, and LIRR expanding into the old NJ Transit digs. This is what NYC needs. MSG IV is fine the way it is. Rennovate the bathrooms if you want, but the building is perfect.

I already have Cosbys for my shoppe, and all the bars and restaurants I'd ever need are EVERYWHERE.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I'm ashamed some of these people are Ranger fans.

Also about Cosby's, did you ever get numbering and lettering done for them? I'm trying to find a place to get numbering and lettering done, but can't seem to find a place. I used to get it done at the Mets Clubhouse Shop when I worked there, but apparently they don't do it anymore for hockey. Anyway, just wondering if you know about the quality of their lettering and if they'd do a jersey I bought elsewhere.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I got a '97 Gretzky blue authentic at Cosby's in Westburry. The name is sewn directly into the shirt, no nameplate.Fantastic job. I got it on sale for $150 cause CCM had just changed the style of shirt to those retro ties. I dunno if Cosby's is still in Westburry anymore, but yea they do a good job, but youre gonna pay a premium.

I also had work done at V & C Tutto Calcio II when they were located in fresh Meadows. They have moved to New Hyde Park. I had a Gilbert 7 put on a blue shirt for me mum. They did a fine job as well.

This is their sister location in Brooklyn
    V & C Tutto Calcio
    (718) 837-5888
    7620 18th Ave,
    Brooklyn, NY 11214+1108

Joe Dimmagios used to do excellent work but now the're a bloody Indian Restaurant.

There is a store in WhiteStone that is the official kit supplier and dry cleaner of the NY Mets. I've heard they also do hockey jerseys, but I have not been there.

I used to get the plastic name and muber on replicas when I was younger. It was cost effective, but 8 years later it is peeling off. Because tackle twill lettering is a lot of $$, I made a policy that I will only get jerseys of former Rangers who made great contributions to the team, not a 1 or 3 year player (if they win a Stanley Cup with the Rangers that can obviously change my outlook. Thus Stephane Matteau played was on the Rangers for a very short time, but his name lives forever in the white shirts.).

So I have an authentic Gretzky blue, and a replica Messier in white.
    Next I need a Richter, Leetch, and Graves. That will complete for me my '94 NYR collection. After that I want to get some blueshirts of Bathgate, Patrick, Worsley, Cook, and Boucher.

The modern replica hockey jersey is good enough for me. The quality differnece between the modern replica and authentic I can't justify price $ wise. However those older hockey shirts, from the 80's and earlier... the replicas were really poorly made, if made at all.

I have about 15 NYR jerseys, 1 USA hockey, 1 Hockey Canada, and 1 LA King (replica with the fighting strap, only in Canada). I was going to get Gretzky lettered on the LA King jersey, but he was soon traded to St. Louis and then NYR so I never bothered to do so.

I regret not purchasing a 1996 Leetch World Cup of Hockey jersey, but I didn't have the $. I do need to add to my USA hockey jersey the '1980 away. Of course who could ever forget that 1976 USA Canada Cup shirt.