Pride. Passion. Tradition. The New York Rangers Thread.

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by otterulz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. The C0SM0polite

The C0SM0polite New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    NY
    Looking at the Rangers schedule I noticed some strange things.

The Rangers do not play any teams in the Pacific Division this year.
    (LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose)

The Rangers play every other team in the Western Confrence once.

So lets see. They play a grand total of 10 Western Confrence games this year. Thats weird.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOO! Great win tonight against the Devils. Team came out strong in the first. Lundqvist got his first NHL win and stopped 20 shots. Rangers played disciplined as well, not taking that many penalties. This team is coming together quickly it seems like.

3. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    and another convincing win Vs Atlanta 5-1 :)

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    atlanta sucks crap 9-1 loss to the leafs and 5-1 loss to the rangers....

thats 14 goals that led up in two games.

5. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    there was a game they beat the caps 8-1 and the Caps beat the Rangers a week ago

go figure

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Blueshirts just keep on rolling. Lundqvist with his first career NHL shutout. Stopped 23 shots and the Jagr got 2 PP goals to beat the Panthers 4-0 at the Garden. Florida was shorthanded for a lot of the game and the Rangers took advantage. They not only have one of the best penalty killing units in the league, but they're doing pretty damn well on the PP. This team is completely different from the past few seasons and it makes me happy. Hopefully they'll keep it up when they face the Fish Stick on Wednesday, which I'll be at. Actually, my first Ranger/Islander game at the Garden. I always found the Coliseum fun to go to for that.

Weekes supposedly will start the home and home against the Isles. Hopefully it's not true although Renney has publicly stated who our #1 is. But hey, the way Henrik is playing, go with the hot hand.

7. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    The Rangers have surprised me so far this season. Hopefully theyll keep this up.

8. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    it'll be nice to see them do well against the likes of Detroit Ottawa and the leading teams from other divisions. it's about time but i won't believe it until it'll actually happen and NYR will make it to the playoffs for a change

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Lundmark traded! Wow.

10. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    WTF?!? why? and who is Jeff Taffe???

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Beats the hell out of me. Someone who gets paid a lot less than Jamie Lundmark, I'm guessing.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, the team was rolling along without him so I guess it's ok. Still feels like a waste of talent being traded away but if Renney has scratched him, I'm sure it was for a reason. If he stays in Manny Malhotra career mode from now on, I won't think twice about the deal.

Islanders vs. Rangers tonight at The Garden. I'll be there and it should be fun. My one highlight of the last hockey season was sweeping the 6 games against the Isles. We should've traded Lundmark for Mike Dunham for the home and home, who happens to play his best only against the Islanders. Don't know whether Weekes returns either. I really wanna see Lundqvist and I think the obvious choice is to ride the hot goalie. Anyway, should be fun either way tonight. Unless they lose of course.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

13. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I don't see why anyone is upset about the trade of Lundmark. He had no future on this team whatsoever. He's been kicking around for years between Hartford and MSG. Good riddance. Jeff Taffe has had basically the same issues in Phoenix and is of comparable quality to Lundmark. (Though he supposedly plays a much more physical game - which I like) Anyway two big nights against the Isles here. 4 points - no less. All hail King Henrik.

14. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    I look forward to these games tonight and tomorrow. Also i think they should play Hendrik tonight and start Weekes at the coliseum we'll see what Renney decides to do.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

15. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I feel like i'm in the minority here but I can't stand the shootout. The Rangers got a little bit of luck and battled back to tie the game and still an opposing team in the same division ends up with two points while we get one. What a crappy way to decide a game. Explain to me how a team who gets lucky on one of three shots deserves another point in the standings?

16. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    I am with you on this one, they should have kept the tie in the rules i dunno why americans have a problem with a game ending in a draw (and feeling "cheated" isnt a reason)

17. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    dunno how it's counted in the all-time meetings record as a tie or an Isles win(a tie in my books) and yes shootout sucks

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first I thought the shootout was stupid. But being at the game last night and watching my first ever shootout, you can feel the excitement. That's what the NHL wanted to do; to get fans excited about hockey. Is it the most fair way to decide a winner? That's debatable, but I sure as heck can tell you it's exciting as hell. Plus it's a lot more fun than soccer shootouts.

19. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    aarrrggg we lost again, although i think we played well in the 2nd and 3rd period.

Weekes wasnt that good, i say put king Henrik back in there.

Jagr has been on fire!!! 10 goals so far :)

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I in no way expected this out of Jagr. Unbelievable.

And, yes, the goalie controversy started in earnest 3 minutes into last night's game when they were already down 3 and had to take a timeout. I was okay with Lundqvist sitting initally because Weekes was a solid though unspectacular veteran and he played better in the pre-season than HL did. Plus, with a young team, you wanted someone solid back there that wasn't going to make mistakes and have his team get down on themselves.

But, HL was hot this last week, and Weekes was clearly rusty. There were 2 huge defensive letdowns as well, but he is not as bad as he showed last night. That said, Renney can't watch too many more games like that before Weekes gets the hook.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we'll see what happens with Weekes. I always liked him so I hope he gets it together, but I wouldn't have a problem if they threw Henrik back in there. We'll see though.

2 tough losses to the team I hate to lose against. The Isles are playing well right now and they got their act together. I was afraid when they signed Satan and now we know why. Jagr has been unbelievable so far though. He singlehandedly kept the Rangers in the game last night. Hopefully this'll be a season long thing.

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POTVIN SUCKS!!!!

I love Henrik.

23. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to beat the Isles last night. The team took waaaaaay too many penalties, giving the Islanders 11 chances on PP, but their penalty killing was awesome, especially Ortmeyer. I love the way this guy plays. He might not have the skill of the Czechs but the guy goes all out. He looked like a goalie on one play to block a shot. Lundqvist was also simply amazing. Straka got his first goal of the season on the PP and Tyutin netted a second. Betts got the empty netter to seal the deal. I also like that Tom Renney isn't so quick to praise his team after wins. He always seems to find something to say the team needs improving on. I'm hoping for a full 60 mins of domination by the Rangers. They let the Islanders get back in it in the third, especially by taking so many stupid penalties. Hopefully they won't let this be a problem throughout the season.

24. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    Huge win last night. I have to say I was beggining to fear that we were reverting to "same old Rangers" syndrome and I was about to give up the season. To anyone that doesn't follow this team that probably sounds a little ridiculous after a 3 game losing streak less than a month into the season. Like I said you don't follow this team lol.

25. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if we lose with this team, we lose with a bunch of kids. Before it was losing with a bunch of high-priced veterans which boggles the mind. But this team is fun to watch because they never give up. They might not play pretty all the time but they're capable. Of course, the team isn't entirely kids since we got a veteran first line with some others sprinkled in. But it's a step in the right direction and the team seems to be playing by a system. I couldn't be happier with where we are at the moment.