Pride. Passion. Tradition. The New York Rangers Thread.

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by otterulz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    those players are an embarrassment to themselves and the fans no much point wasting my keyboard on them anymore

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon man. That's a little harsh. I know it's tough to watch, and esepcially to get swept by the Devils, but they fought hard. You heard the soundbite from Renney, "Leave it on the ice, boys!" and they did. Yeah, their defensive breakdowns cost them. But the Devils played perfect hockey. Any mistake, they jumped on and took advantage of. If we played any other team in the NHL in a best of seven, I'd bet anything that the outcome would've looked different. Give it a few days. Hopefully we can all remember what a good season this was, considering the expectations. The Devils are a well oiled machine, and I'd hate to be the team that faces them next.

It was a good season. I'll give a recap sometime in the next few days, going through from the beginning till the end. When the Garden Faithful started the deafening LET'S GO RANGERS chant at the very end, it nearly got me choked up. I'm glad they didn't boo the boys off the ice. They gave it their all, and brought pride back to Broadway. I'm looking forward to next season.

3. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i agree the devs look like the best team in the NHL right now but the fall started 3 weeks ago when they've been defeated both by the Isles and the pens respectively and like you've assumed b4 even the Pens would've swept them

well,at least the Wings lost today

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    WTF? You call youself a Rangers supporter? Shame. Shame. The fans AT THE GAME were not embarrassed as they chanted the Rangers name for 3 full minutes after the game. Several of the players were clearly moved by the show of love from the fans to the players. If anything, the NYR has reconnected with the supporters, something that was kinda broken in recent years. If nothing else at all, that alone has made my decade.

5. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    you're probably proud of the Knickerbockers' season performance as well eh?

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

There's a huge f\/cken difference between the successful campaign that the Rangers had, and the massacre that the Knicks endured. I'm sure you've noticed. Seriously.

7. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    the only difference i see is that the rangers have arousen my expectations for 77 games just to kick the bucket and spil the milk all over the place and as for the knicks there were no expectation to begin with

can't recall a "successful campaign" to just losing a 9 pts lead 5 games to go and then to be swept away by a team we were leading almost the whole season sorry but this campaign has a very bad taste to say the least

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon. I can certainly understand why you're upset. The division was theres, and they coughed it up. However, give credit when credit's due. This team was predicted to finish somewhere in the bottom, and I myself thought so too. However, they definitely exceeded my expectations, and had a pretty damn good season to show for it. You look at the records that Jagr broke; single season scoring record and single season goal record. Lundqvist with more wins by a rookie goaltender. Prucha emerged as a surprise that provided offense and a tough-as-nails attitude. Oh, and not to mention that they qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 1997. Yeah, it was dissapointing the way it ended; a 9 game losing streak. However, the Garden rocked in a way that it hasn't in a long time. The team mattered again. When the fans started a "LET'S GO RANGERS" chant in the dying seconds of their final game of the season, I knew that the team mattered again. I can't wait till next season. Maybe the agony of defeat is still too fresh, but if you can't look back on it later, then I don't know what to tell you. It was a good season by my standards, so whatever.

9. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    dunno why they chanted "LGR" when the only place they were going is home with their tail between their legs being unconditionally swept by their fiercest mickey mouse rivals but i do know i've been humiliated like i've never felt in my life even during the time they even couldn't get close to make the post season for almost a whole decade and taking into consideration their 3rd highest NHL payroll it's even more frustrating

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

You just don't get it do you. I assume you haven't read the Rangers 75th Anniversary book. We just experienced a season that will continue to build upon our history and tradition. Exciting teams that just come up short. This is Rangers hockey. We are Rangers supporters. This is what we are.

11. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    there's nothing "exciting" by getting humped by your bitterest of rivals in my book

this season is history as long as the rangers are concern but if they'll come to next with the same recent amount of performance i'm well aware they could easily finish it with the worst NHL record ever

btw,i'm holding Brian McFarlane's The Rangers Original SIX book right now

hope it matches your higher standard for being a supporter

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Devils beat us in 4. It sux. But in October had someone said the NYR would get 100 points, and make the playoffs but lose in the first round.... what do you say? No thank you, it's Cup or nothing? BS.

13. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i didn't apply to the "cup of nothing" but i've expected them at least give a fight in the series not to be bitch slapped by each and every of the 4 not to mention the previous 5 RS games

the rangers is the laughing stock of the hockey world for enough time as long as my concern thought it changed at last during the current season but the last 9 proved my expectation were too high expecting them at least win one game from the devs..or the Pens...the isles.. how dare i ? :rolleyes:

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's your fault for having high expectations. No one else here has 'em, so why do you feel the need to? My only expectation every year is that the Rangers play passionate hockey for the season. I feel they did so this year. If you can't be satisfied with that, that's your problem mate. If you can't deal with a late season collapse, that's also your problem. Late season collapses of epic proportions of part of Rangers hockey. It's what defines us.

15. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    if you don't give a shyte they blew it big time last month and if you don't recognize they made a complete nono of what was looking like a stable season there maybe you're not a real fan

the problem here you're taking a consistent failure for granted like an Original Six franchise suppose to be the joke of the NHL for at least 8 yrs

after the lockout season nobody knew what to expect early October but as the season went into swing they were looking like a team worth watching(the most i recall is the midseason 5-1 home win on the Sens where they've played their best hockey for a whole decade) and that's when my expectations started to rise and i've started to believe they can actually win at least one post season series

the most frustrating stuff here is that you and the other Rangers posters here were not even been surprised by the free falling when it mattered the most

just look on the Oilers and even the Ducks that could be well eliminated 2nite but even if they will at least their fans would know they gave their butts out there sorry i can't say the same for our rangers

16. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are we supposed to do? Just feel sorry for ourselves over what happened? Am I dissapointed? Hell yeah! Am I frustrated? Hell yeah! You think I enjoyed watching the Devils sweep them, and sweep them so easily? Hell ********in no! But it happened. And I'm not gonna let that take away from everything positive that happened this season. A lot happened, and if you look at the team, there's a lot there to make me excited for years to come. I don't know the reason for the Rangers late season swoon. Maybe it was fatigue, maybe it was the injuries, maybe it was the pressure, or maybe it was just simply the fact that this team is mortal. Who the hell knows. Maybe it was a combination of some of those or all of those. But I'm not gonna sit on my ass and bitch and cry about how dissapointed I am with this team, because even if they did fall apart in the end, they took me for one helluva ride before then. I mean, if that's the way you honestly feel about the team, then that's your opinion.

17. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    this season is history for the Rangers and i'm not mourn on it anymore it won't help and life goes on but i'm more worry about the forthcoming future coz like i've mentioned b4 if they'll continue to perform like their last 9 then they could easily finish the worst NHL team ever

making the post season for itself means nothing if it meams being whipewashed by your biggest rival on the planet and i'm sure Isles fans feel the same for the magical 1994 Rangers Double season

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong - I relish every moment of rink-related agony you Rangers fans endure, especially at the hands of the Devils (finally, finally, that never-beat-the-Rangers-in-the-playoffs monkey is off our back).

That said, I can only hope that Ozolinsh, playoff goat or not, gets a hold of himself off the ice; evidently he had a stumble yesterday.

19. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    can't speak out for fellow NYR fans but i for once despise the Devs more than the Isles and the Flyers can put together and jealousy has all to do with it(well that and the ugly uni's of course)

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they didn't play the first 77 games like that, so I wouldn't worry too much. They played the wrong team at the wrong time. Unfortunately, that team also happened to be the Devils. If you honestly think that making the playoffs meant nothing, then I don't know what to tell you. You either have ridiculously high expectations or you're delusional.

Y'know, for a guy who barely came in this thread all season long, you sure have found yourself plenty of time to bitch and moan about this team.
    Yeah, in a way I'm not surprised. The Times had a nice article a couple weeks ago about him and how everyday is still a struggle to stay sober and how his family keeps him from hitting the bottle. After he made some of those terrible turnovers, you could see the frustration on his face. Maybe it was cynical of me, but I said to myself I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to drinking after this series ended. Anyway, I wish him the best. I don't want him back in a Rangers uni, but I hope he can just get his act together and take care of his family and be a family man.

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Basing next seasons predictions on the last 9 NYR games is completely assanine. Seriously. I'm not worried about next year. I am worried about Jagr's upcoming surgery, and Henrriq's hip. He declined to play in the World Championships for Sweden to rest himself. I always encourage NHL players to play in International competitions, but Henriq has already won gold for Sweden so he deserves a good rest. I am not jealous of the Devils. I hate them. I hate them the same way I hate the Icelanders, the Broad Street Bullies, the Boston B's, and nearly every other team we face during the season. I am jealous of no one else. At the end of the day, we are the New York Rangers. That is all that matters.

22. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    can't say i hate any other NHL team there(hell i even wish the Sens to take the SC it would be good for the game) is but i depise the Devs mostly coz i feel we,the rangers,the Red&White&Blue should have a succeful and a competitive team year and year out not a mickey mouse franchise landed from Denver to the Metro area a decade and a half ago and stealing the show and i'm quite possitive the few true Devs fans hate the Rangers the most(and btw,i see a blessing by the fact Rangers are between the most hated teams in the NHL coz it shows people do care about the rangers regardless their success)

it hurts seeing the Devs lifting the Stanley Cup more than any other team it's a humiliation as it's best

another team i hate is the Red Wings mostly for their uni's and their late 90's run(run which i feel like we should have with the right personnel running the club)and the isles of course btw,i'm a yankees fan but i don't hate the Mets like Mets fans hate the Yanx coz i believe they're still represent NY when they're playing and the same goes for the Giants and Jets but the Isles are "outsiders" somehow based outside the area

23. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Otterulz,to have high expectations is like Don Garber said about making the MLS the best soccer league in the world "you have to aim high" as i take it to the extreme but as i mentioned b4 all i expected from the Rangers this season is to be a competitive team showing out like the rest of them and if they couldn't perform then it's not much different from the Knicks(skipping the most humiliated part of course)

is it too much to ask after theit first 77?

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's great to have high expectations, but did you honestly believe this was gonna be a competitive team? All I expected this team to do was play hard every night, grind it out, and watch the youth develop around the few veterans. Anything else to me would've been a bonus. The winning was a total surprise. I dunno, maybe I'm just a realist, but my expectations were pretty low of this team. I was just happy to have hockey back. I'm not saying that you shouldn't expect them to win, I just feel like you're not giving them any credit when credit's due. Maybe not much, but at least something.

By the way, where'd you grow up? I'm assuming you're from New York, so just curious as to where you lived.

25. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    all i'm saying they've kicked the bucket and that was even more dissapointing than the Knicks for example where i've finished follow their results midseason for lack of interest

in a matter of fact never been in NY(probably will next year) but i have some cousins that were season ticket holders Knicks&Rangers and have special affection for the Rangers since my Fave Euro soccer team have that name&colors(also categorized as underacheivers in my books :( )