Priced out

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Carefree 95, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Carefree 95

Carefree 95 New Member

May 31, 2006
    England
    Sadly the liverpool game in a couple of sundays will be my last for a while as i have decided I just can't afford it. I'm only 17 and, when im not at college, I work for minimum wage to pay for a ticket. £48 to sit in a uncofortable seat,even though i prefer to stand, in a ground where there is almost no atmosphere (except in the MHL even then its not great, outsung by 500 man city fans???) and where i'm discouraged from singing is not worth 20 quid let alone double that. I've been a Chelsea fan since 1994, went to my first game in August 1995 and have been going regularly since then. Now I'll stay at home and watch johnny corporate enjoying our success on TV. The success is great don't get me wrong but I would rather watch the terrible team of the hoddle era get beaten at home by blackburn, sing my heart out and pay £25 than see us take apart portsmouth 5-0 in a silent ground for £48. I have been forced out of the club I love and I fear that many other real Chelsea fans soon will be too. So lets get back £20 tickets behind the goals and create the best atmosphere in England. And when that happens i'll be back, even if we are in Division 2.

2. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    Well at least your going out on a big game.

I understand where you're coming from here but we are not even the most expensive in London for seats at a football match.
    It is part and parcel of becoming a successful team. I was there for Man City last Sunday and the atmosphere was as good as it has ever been the past few years.
    I'm afraid that if you boycott games then you'll just free up space for someone else who wants to see Chelsea play.
    £20 seats will NEVER happen while we are in a successful period, the way they see it is someone out there (Whether it be a johnny come lately or what ever) will pay for a seat, until the attendances start to dip for the big games (the Liverpools, Arsenal, United etc) then the people running the club won't even blink.

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Couldn't agree more about the expensive tickets. I thought the same when we became a premiership club and an 8 quid ticket in the West was suddenly 20 quid.

I'm sure people will look back at the days they could get a ticket for under 3 figures as the cheap old days. But with the surplus of fans we currently have, the management will keep raising prices. Why not - they're selling easily enough.

This is the same complaint I have heard every year since I started watching us in the 80's when they pratically gave out free tickets with the Bovril.

As for the atmosphere it is way, way quieter now due to all seater stadiums and the nature of the fan (the crowd is still noisy but not as much). We traded the 90 minute sing fest for the occasional blast of Care Free but there are no thugs (well very few) and families can enjoy the game without fearing violence. Welcome to sport in the 21st century my son.

4. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It is always a shame to see old fans priced out of the game, my first entrance to the Shed was around half a crown or 2/6 in real money which is about 12.5p these days.

Luckily have have a reasonably paid job and I can aford a season ticket. I miss turing up 1 to 2 hours before a game (there was no choice then if you wanted a good place) and singing till after the game and going home horse.

I actually prefer away games these days as all the singers are concentrated in one place, I guess this is also true of other teams which is why the away supporters seem to always put up a good show at Stamford Bridge.

5. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Never been to a match but I actually like watching us play away on TV better. It's a bit embarassing when the Bridge is so quiet, but I find that we still have good away support a lot of the time. It's even worse because you can think of a night like Barcelona at home 2 years ago and the Bridge was absolutely nuts, but the next home game was almost definitely like Highbury v2.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I thought the atmosphere at the Citeh game was pretty good, to be honest. But I'll also be missing the Liverpool game (most likely), but for a different reason - I forgot to check how early the tickets went on sale, and didn't buy any . :eek:

7. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah me too. When I got around to it, the only seats left were for West Upper and I'd rather watch it in the comfort of my sofa than pay £60 to sit up there. Going to the Charlton game instead in the West Lower near the MH stand. Always noisy down that end :D

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I suppose I should get my tickets for that. I had seats in the west upper for the Citeh game and the view was atrocious - I was off to the side and sat looking right at the lights (and thus couldn't see the televisions for replays, lineups, etc.) and for 60 quid. Pah. Almost makes the 96 quid seats at Arsenal's stadium worth it. Almost. ;)

9. Middle Of The Shed

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    There's usually a few spares kicking around on the new "legalised touting" site, chelseafc.viagogo.com...there's a few ones for MHL going around now for Charlton, they'll always be spares, especially for the non big games.

10. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    96 quid?!? Is that at their new stadium? Not sure I could afford that much what with my rail fare as well.

Just a warning that if you do go for MHL, the view is a bit restricted for the seats at the very back. You can still see the all of the pitch but you'll have to do a bit of crouching when the ball is at the other end and looking between heads when everyone is standing. Atmosphere is great though.

11. Middle Of The Shed

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    Yeah I think it's from row Z back to JJ (I think that's the last row)
    For Man City last week I had row U, which seems fine because you're basically above pitch level, however it was gate 16 or 17 so I basically had the lip from the East Upper obstructing the far touchline. It was bearable but any seats over and we would have been well and truely buggered. :rolleyes:

Actually talking about pricing out they should charge less for the bloody restricted seats or at least put on the ticket, restricted or impaired view, and let us know! How the club get away with selling restricted view seats at full price and without any warning is simply ridiculous. :mad:

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I had the box seats. ;)

13. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I will be in my usual seat in the west lower if anyone wants to say hi

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'll definitely drop by one of these days when I remember to buy my ticket early enough to get seats that I want.

15. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is that c/o your friend from the Arse forum? Must've been nice :)

16. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hey Dr I! Dont know what time I'll get there but I'll txt or call you. Be nice to grab a drink before the game.