Preventing the "Artest" factor at ULHOWA

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And neither you or I would have accounts.

Right.....he's human feces.

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    here is another thought...have decent security to help.

3. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Building the type of passion that would result in fans rioting and attacking players would be a nice problem for FC Dallas to have. ;)

4. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    I barely missed getting hit by a full beer thrown by an opposing fan at one game this year. It hit a very nice Hispanic family, with kids. The thrower called some of us names, and yelled several death threats to various Dallas players throughout the game.

I understand it's been covered, he's some of y'alls buddy, I don't have a dog in this fight at all really. Thought it bore mentioning in light of this topic tho.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

5. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    so you're saying that the easiest way to prevent the "Artest" factor at ULHOWA is to keep the Chicago fans out of the stadium? you may be on to something...

6. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Instant nightsticking by the police would be an alternative option. I happened to witness that too. The guy who did it seemed generally apologetic and embarrassed the next day on BS so my hate for Chicago returned to its normal heightened orange alert level.

7. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    Hahaha...now, I was trying to be careful not to mention the opposing team or city... ;)

It's all good tho, no worries here; just found it funny in light of the topic at hand. Hey, I lived in that Unnamed City for awhile, and I sorta know how it is. Especially if you are a sports fan, heh.

Mostly I was being amused by their witty comments throughout, and of course the anguish they increasingly expressed as the game went on (and you remember how that one went).

Just noting that the beer thing isn't without precedent, or whatever :)

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I got a beer chucked at me one game.. I managed to catch some in my mouth and swallowed.. I then thanked the person for the refreshment.. my girlfriend then told me that she would never follow suit. :(

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, have some rep to make up for that.

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a report on the news that he has a convictions for one "assult to cause bodily harm" and two driving under the influence.

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So instead of a wannabe gangbanger we have an angry drunk.

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Dema is too much of a p*ssy to pull an Artest.

13. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here here.

I was in the unfortunate situation of being stuck listening to AM talk radio Monday morning while driving down I35 beyond Waco & it jest blew me away what some people were trying to lump this into. Apparently it's rap music again. Someone else even brought up the guy who attacked Monica Seles like it was even remotely connected!

Look, Stern was bang on with the suspensions. Players can NEVER get into the stands, whatever the provocation. But the fans were the ones who crossed the line. Not because of any societal shift or lapse of morals in our society but because they took it too far.

If we want exciting atmospheres & intimidating home crowds at our sporting events then we are going to have to live a little close to the edge. That means that every now & again someone will go too far. Thus we need to do 2 things:
    1. Make sure that if someone crosses the line they cannot do EXTREME damage (no guns/weapons in the stadium for example - I find it sad that at another sporting event this weekend 6 people died but it doesn't seem to have caused much controversy about the sport).
    2. Make sure we punish those who do cross the line appropriately.
    If a fight is started make sure the instigator is captured & charged.
    If a chair is thrown make sure the person is charged.
    If a beer is thrown make sure the person is thrown out.
    This can be done achieved simply by having plenty of stewards or CCTV. People will soon get the idea & control themselves & we wont have to turn stadia into morgues. Problem is that owners would rather not spend the money.

14. Wacko4Burn

Wacko4Burn New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Waco, TX
    Not to stick up for Artest, but where were the security personnel at that arena?

15. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    cowering in fear of the residents of Detroit. ;)