Preston showed interest in Seattle Sounders' Jordan Morris, but no deal will happen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    He sadly won't go even though he'd be playing with a better club in a better league. Sounders probably have him priced at $10 million+ or something stupid like that. Can't blame him though, he's the hometown hero in Seattle and gets to live comfy with his family

2. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    PNE would manhandle the Sounders and would be favorites to win MLS Cup if they were in MLS. This isn't a bottom feeder club. They're good enough to be competitive for a play off promotion spot

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i watch a lot of championship and mls and dont think thats remotely true.

4. Ninjatom21

Ninjatom21 Member

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 1, 2017
    Agreed. Preston are ok and would be a playoff side in MLS for sure, but I would be surprised to see them in the promotion playoffs in the championship. Adding Morris to their squad could potentially change that, but he's too expensive. Fulham is in dire need of attacking players (not as much as defenders, but still) and Morris could be worth a shout.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say that for sure. What may have happened with his career at Bremen is a total mystery. While Bremen is not great, they could be better with Jordan, and/or he may have impressed a club up the table and gotten a good offer from a better team. I don't know if staying at Seattle was best for him, but what may have been with Bremen is complete unknown. What we know is that he's in great form for MLS, so all good for now.

6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Hhahaha this isn’t true at all.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree, but I think MLS is piss poor at negotiating good fees for their players for some reason and foreign clubs aren't willing to pay big fees either. Now with the financial pressure from COVID, they would part with even less, so big names aren't leaving MLS in the near future unless they are free. And no I don't consider Brendan Aaronson a big name.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why 22?

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP

10. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Its a starting point. The argument could be said that Jordan Morris is more influential to Seattle than Miggy was to Atlanta and should be worth more.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I thought Morris wasn't interested in Europe? That's why he originally turned down Werder no?

He's talented enough to get a lot sniffs across Europe, the fact that we haven't seen more rumors pop up tells me his agent has been quashing a lot in inquiries.

LouisianaViking07/09 and nobody repped this.
  12. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    !RemindMe Four Years.

13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm guessing Seattle will pay Morris as much or more than PNE, especially next contract he signs. If the Bundesliga couldn't tempt him a few years back I can't imagine why he'd be interested in a second tier English team unless he has re-thought going to Europe. As long as he prefers playing stateside and he's getting well paid, I'd have to think the only offers good enough to tempt him would likely be better than he is likely to receive. If he did have a rethink and wants to go over, I'd think he'd have plenty of suitors at the PNE level and most probably a few above it although playing in MLS this far into his career makes him a risk.

wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    are Premier League clubs interested in him or just Championship clubs?

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have Roldan higher than Morris at 4.4 million. So whoever's evaluating Sounders' roster for TM is being pretty sleepy w/ their updates.

These would have been fair #'s a couple years ago when Roldan was arguably their best player & Morris was injured. Since Roldan has declined & choked for the NT. Morris has shined for club & country. It should be more like 10 million for Morris & 1.5 for Roldan. Roldan is a befitting player for PNE. Morris is mid-table EPL level.

Almiron's at 17+, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, & they are partially operated on what you prove.

largegarlic and wsmaugham repped this.
  16. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    Looks like the Seattle homers are here. They'd be lucky to clinch a play off spot in the championship.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Neither IMO. He signed a 5-year contract extension in 2018 (3 years guaranteed with a two-year option) and is on a $620k guaranteed compensation that's said to rise to almost $1 million a season if he hits all his targets. They could pay his current wages, but not a transfer fee as well. This story is BS.

18. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A mid-table Premier club could pay it no worries. Newcastle just paid $24m for a cf. They paid almost 50 the previous yr. Prior 26 for Almiron.

And $1m/yr would be about their 20th highest salary. They're paying fellow former Sounders' member, Yedlin, 1.5+m Euros per. And his transfer fee several years ago was 6.5m Euros. Morris is a lot better than him & plays a more premium position.

Morris would be a bargain for some mid-table EPL club. I'm sure someone at least lower-middle EPL has realized this. He just doesn't seem to want to go.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very much the same. I saw it pop up and thought, "oh I don't remember this one, but I wonder who he's linked with now."

Morris would walk into the XI of 5 or 6 teams in the Premier League. For a team that hasn't touched the top flight in 60 years, he'd be their signing of the century.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 years ago none of us would have considered Sergino Dest a big name. Now he’s at Barca. Don’t think most teams would have given a plug nickel for him. That’s what I mean. Maybe Aaronson will be like that. The odds would suggest he’ll be more like Eddie Gaven but we can hope!

22. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Yeah but right now one of if not the hottest selling clubs in Europe is buying him. A little different type of situation than Dest four years ago....or Gaven. Ever.

23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He know decided to sign with Seattle over Bremen but that was 5 years ago now. Things change. Who knows what his current interest in going to Europe is.

Morris is very competitively compensated in the grand scheme of things. Only so many clubs can/would pay him more.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Not sure about 5 or 6. He is untested at that level afterall. I suspect with his pace and wildly improved tactical/technical game since 5 years ago he'd quite well though

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'll be honest - I rate Aaronson as a better prospect than McKennie, who play similar positions. He'll turn 20 this October, and will get his shot with RB Salzburg shortly there after. We'll see where he is in 2 years.