President Bush Lied for War . . .

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pmoliu, Dec 28, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    This proves my initial response that this editorial simply says whatever you want it to say. In evaluating the "9 reasons for war" the editorial clearly stated that the administration exaggerated some threats (terrorism), disregarded contrary evidence in some cases (nuclear threat), and in other cases had valid reasons not really debatable (disregard of UN sanctions). The only thing that could be concluded from that editorial was what we already know: some of the reasons for war with Iraq were valid complaints, some were exaggerated, which leaves the listener still having to make the judgment call whether war was appropriate.

For example, I have no dispute that Hussein flaunted UN sanctions and that something needed to be done about that. I do not conclude that means that the US should have gone to war without UN support, though.

So, the editorial blows no holes whatsoever in anybody's world view. The fact you think it does only confirms my original point that the editorial is inconclusive enough to let you see it however you choose.

3. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    In Dave's world coins land heads up 80% of the time.

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I don't think we should breeze past your point so quickly. This really is the crux of the matter and is why we are having trouble getting past go, getting unstuck from stupid. We really do need a reasonable debate on how to handle the war on terror. I think we all agree that it needs to be fought and is against an enemy that is much more of an idea and much less than a standing army than any other enemy in the history of man. This war is against people who expect to take advantage of the West on it's terms, expect to use our individual freedoms against us and expect to have an irrational basis for killing. How we fight that war is important. For instance I think we all (mostly) agree that spying on private citizens without a warrant is wrong. And also, I think it could be argued that spying on private foreigners in the same way is wrong (they have rights too, right?) and arguing the gray area between the two, a phone call between a citizen and a foreigner is one where value judgements need to be made. Yet we can't make those value judgements if we are still stuck on the idea that Bush is a liar, or at least more of a liar than other politicians.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Some of us aren't blessed with the same super powers that were bestowed upon you from the top of Olympus Mons, dave.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Millions and millions of us are. And the powers aren't "super." The "power" is merely not to be a Bush slurper, and to have a modicum of curiosity about what was by far the biggest issue of the day.

There was a reason we couldn't get hardly anyone to sign up for the coalition.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Because Europe (outside England) is chock full of weak kneed pacifists????

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because they, as did I and many if not most posters here, as did 10s of millions of Americans, knew the Bush administration wasn't telling the truth.

Look, you got bamboozled. It happens. I believed them in the fall of 2002, too. I just am curious enough to not only trust, but verify. I read. I questioned. You aren't, and that's OK. It doesn't make you a bad person. Just be sure to listen to your betters, and beware e-mails from Nigeria.

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    God, I admire you.....

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those German pansies. They don't have the stomach for killing...oh wait... :eek:

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I worship Him.

Oh well, different strokes....

13. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I prefer the term "puss!es"

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You really didn't have to be all that smart to know the war rationale was a hoax. Just a little inquisitive.

15. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I doubt at the time you were so wise

16. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    We're here all week, ladies & gentlemen. Don't forget to tip your bartenders & waitresses.

17. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Can I pinch my waitresses ass ?

18. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    If SuperDave the "allknowing" were in charge right now, I wonder what he would do? Is he pulling the troops immediately?

19. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The evidence indicates that Iraq is reconstituting its nuclear weapons program. Saddam Hussein has held numerous meetings with Iraqi nuclear scientists, a group he calls his "nuclear mujahideen" -- his nuclear holy warriors. Satellite photographs reveal that Iraq is rebuilding facilities at sites that have been part of its nuclear program in the past. Iraq has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes and other equipment needed for gas centrifuges, which are used to enrich uranium for nuclear weapons.

Bush, October 7, 2002 - gosh, that was easy.

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    While I agree with you, from my perspective, the example you've chosen is precisely the problem from the other side of the coin.

Although I am only slightly familiar with all the details of the spying controversy, where I got really upset was that Bush decided that the surveillance on US citizens was justified by the Congressional authorization to use force. The way I see it, the administration justified what would otherwise be an obvious 4th Amendment problem on flimsy grounds that no one in Congress anticipated when they voted to authorize force. Couple that with the Bush Administration's claim that those who oppose this surveillance are hurting America. What I see is that the Bush Administration has made a conscious choice to be deceptive and not fully honest about its conscious choice to undermine traditional 4th Amendment protections.

So, yes, it's true that we need to have a debate that is not limited to either "Bush Lied, People Died" versus "You hate America." On the other hand, the perspective of those willing to have that debate from the left is colored by the honest perception that the Bush Administration has made repated choices to be misleading and evasive. So, what's the dividing line between the "honest debate" about whether the administration is being adequately straightforward and getting unstuck from stupid.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Turks wouldn't help us either. Are they pvssies?

22. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I suggest you read John Keegan's "The Iraq War"

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you believe Tom Daschle's so far uncontradicted account, the Bushies tried to get language allowing this into the force resolution, and were shot down. So they THOUGHT they needed to include the language, couldn't get it, now say the resolution allows this.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really getting old how the BTKWB brigade won't serve up some mea culpi (culpae?).

I mean, YOU FVCKERS WERE WRONG. That's a fact. Therefore, until you confront and deal with that, why the hell should we give you any benefit of any doubt about any Iraq-related argument? Figure out why you were wrong, where you were wrong, adjust your worldview and assumptions, THEN come and tell us how much smarter you are than us. So long as you're just a Bush-slurper, your thoughts on the subject are, frankly, worthless.

If I have a theory about, say, football, and I make money betting on it, and you have a theory about football and lose money, why the hell should I listen to you tell me what's wrong with my theory? It may not be perfect, but it beats yours.

25. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yeah, but bookies don't let you lay bets after the game ends.