President Bush and the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 10, 2004.

1. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i think that judges have become political or at least judicial activism is viewed as part of a political agenda. do you disagree?

the second election was not by a remarkably narrow margin, IMO. 3.5 millions of votes is less than Clinton's victories over Dole and GHW Bush, but still 3%

the margin of victory of Nixon over Humphrey would be remarkably narrow.

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i see the problem now.

you are unable to grasp distinctions others easily understand.

OK. here goes.

Scenario A: your life partner asks you what you want for dinner. you ask what is available. instead of answering that question the response is to talk endlessly about stoves and cheese graters and corian countertops, mixing in an occasional tirade about how emotionally unavailable you are.

you eventually starve to death.

Scenario B: your life partner asks you what you want for dinner. you ask what is available. turns out there is a choice between chicken or fish. you say you would rather have fish. despite your stated preference, you get chicken.

you eat the chicken.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your attempt to play the "let me educate you, you stupid" card fails because it fails to take into account reality. Scenario B is wrong because chicken was not served during the Clinton era - instead, there was a large backlog of empty seats. Scenario A is wrong because the talking would stop if you would just pick fish (or even fishy tasting chicken), but you would rather have nothing than not have chicken.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what you mean by judicial activism? Are you an attorney....a judge? I'm always curious to hear the numerous and sundry definitions of judicial activism.