Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Jan 25, 2010.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Preseason is Coming!!!

He didn't appear to be training, he was running and off to the side with a trainer.

2. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

uh oh

:confused:

3. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landin still has that extra 10 pounder...guy, I don't know about this season with his extra 10 pounder...I'm just going to shut my mouth for now.. will see :confused:

4. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004

How'd Walker (#33) look out there?

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

if the money is guaranteed then Landin is owed the same consideration that was giving to Ade Akinbiyi (among others). look i warned peeps, this dude wasn't going to come in at 135 lbs. no way.

btw, my prediction is we win 1 trophy this year. book it.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What consideration did we give Akinbiyi? He looked stiff and slow with a few veteran tricks up his sleeve (not all that much different than Landin) and we cut him. I know they are stuck with Landin and have to keep him on the roster to have a prayer of getting any money back by selling him (no that's not a joke, we have the option to buy him outright and re-sell him).

What really gets me is how the team and Glenn Davis talk about how it is an "important year" for Landin, like he's some sort of backup guy who has to step in and prove himself, which begs the question: WHY DOES A GUY WHO WE BROUGHT IN AS A DP HAVE TO PROVE HIMSELF? Why did we sign a project as a DP?

He's got to produce this year, and needs to produce early. And by production, I mean outscore John Freakin' Wolyniec by a wide margin or this is headed towards Denilson-like territory for bad signings.

7. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even if Landin doesn't work out (so far he hasn't done much) I still have to give credit to the FO for making a big signing. I used to complain that the FO was afraid to make a big move for a high profile player but with the Landin signing, well, at least they tried.

8. toropug

toropug BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I totally agree, and hope they pull the trigger soon on a BIG midfield signing. (Or a couple solid ones) I think forward (and GK) is the least of our worries. Ching, Landin, Oduro, and Weaver are a huge improvement over our usual preseason forwards, and Landin will hopefully have a great year.

Midfield on the other hand is thin, however i think it all hinges on Mulrooney. If he comes back strong, things look alot better. Last year he played well when covering for Rico(before going down) Dont get me wrong he is no Rico, but finding an equal replacement is going to be damn hard. Also this depends on who, if anyone, Dom brings in to replace Stu. That is the Huge question, and the one hole I dont think we have a good replacement for.

Leaving Mulrooney at DM also frees up Cameron to stay on the backline. I know most people think Im crazy for saying this, but I believe this would be his best fit. Hes a good midfielder, but a great CB. He adds that bit of speed we need back there. Maybe I just have not seen enough of him at mid to be overly impressed, but i know Dom knows better than I do. I do hope Danny Cruz gets PT this season, and think he will come on strong.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Still hoping for some signings, and cant wait for the season to start.

9. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see Cameron playing on the back line unless it is out of necessity. You can make the argument he's better there than Robinson but given our losses in midfield, he's needed more in midfield. Center mid and right mid is where I expect to see him unless Robinson isn't back to his 2007 self...or a close approximation.

Cameron in midfield also utilizes his pace a bit more. At center mid, you have a guy capable of playing box-to-box and providing a solid shield for center backs who might not be the swiftest in the world. At right mid, you get some speed on the wings which people have been screaming about for years.

10. toropug

toropug BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I agree we probably wont see him there, but just stating my druthers. Like i said, in a my dream world we'd be making a BIG signing to fill AM. I can definitely see Cameron at DM or Right Wing. However, with noone being brought in to replace Stu, he looks to be slotting in there. Im sure Dom will make it work, he always does.

I really think we will do well this season, especially with less schedule congestion. Its always been starting thin at forward, we have never had to worry about midfield issues. The rest off the squad looks pretty solid if you ask me and im sure some signings will come to plug gaps or for depth.

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

this is what i keep coming back to as a conclusion. less schedule congestion is going to do wonders for this team.

not to mention less NT call-ups because 2 of the 3 usual call-ups are now in Europe and i doubt Ching will get more than the usual as 'Rob' Bradley already knows what he's going to get from Ching and doesn't need to see him over and over again. Landin is only 1 slot above me in the Mexico FWD depth chart, so he's OK. Oduro is OK. Perhaps Onstad & Andy are the only probables and i haven't seen a schedule of Canadian games. as you can imagine there's not a rush to schedule the Maple Leafs in order to prepare yourself for the WC.

suprisingly, i think we enter the season at probably the strongest we ever been in the FWD position. no really, think about it. Ale Moreno, Cerritos, Dalglish and his 'troubles', Ngwenya disappearing off the face of the earth, us contracting the only Argentine in the world that couldn't play football, Kei and his eccentricities, Jacqua 'pissing off' to Austria, etc., etc.

we come in with an established guy Ching (he's good for 10+ goals this year), a guy who has a killer goals per minute ratio in Weaver (get's 7 or 8 this year), a guy who has track speed in Oduro (will stumble into 3 or 4) and a wildcard (but boy, what a wild card).

i'm telling you peeps, if we can get these guys service (yeah i know that's an if) then they will score. plus we will have them all year when other western conference teams will be dealing with mish mash lineups do to call-ups and congestion. did you see Dom's/Oliver's/Ching's mantra this year? "underestimate this team at your own risk."

fk it. we're getting a triple this year. :D

12. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

only if the "Dom" take the US open cup seriously :mad:

13. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

maybe Corey can learn a new trick and at least become the 2TP...:p

seriously, with the current roster guys like Corey, Danny, and Harmse will have to step it up...Davis, Mullan, and Mulrooney will benefit from the less congested schedule but injuries are bound to crop up here and there...maybe Chabala will see some time at mid this year...

I am excited to see what happens...

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

yup and to add what you said the defense is still solid. Methuselah, bobbyboswell.com, a very servicable Chabala, Andy, Cameron in either DM or CB position, either Eddie and/or Mulrooney returning with Waibel and the Captain getting spot minutes. that's not too shabby. seriously, we can do something this year and any quality addition (either one of Doms trades or draft picks) will only help.

edit - Canetti confirms in blog that Cameron moves into MF and that they're still pursuing some internationals:

http://mydynamo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/season-five-is-here-a

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you. I get tired of reading gloom. Now, please go post something positive on the stadium thread.

16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

hey Luis can't compete wid dat. Woly is from Staten Island and is in the Fordham Hall of Fame so he has a distinct advantage over Landin.

17. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So here's something to think about it.

Right now we have 2 roster spots open. We drafted 3 players (Walker, Appiah, and Holden). Navas will be given a shot at a first team spot. And we are actively looking at a trade or international acquisition for a midfielder.

My point is that we could have a situation where 5 players are competing for 2 spots unless the new CBA allows for larger rosters (and it very well could). If we do trade some allocation money/draft picks for a MLS mid or acquire an international mid, you know they are going to take 1 of the spots. That essentially leaves 1 spot for Walker, Appiah and Navas to compete for (I'm assuming that lil Holden isn't coming here. If he hasn't accepted the invitation by now, he probably won't.)

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Without trying to disagree with your general opinion, two things:

1. House park does not have a running track around the field. That makes it much better.

2. Turf age. House is new. Nelson is old. If you've different info -- could you provide a source? I drive by House everyday. I think I'm pretty familiar with it.

19. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's not, supposedly signing a contract in Denmark by the end of the week.

20. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally agree on the running track. I forgot about that. I was living near Nelson when they tore out the grass and put the crap turf in. It was roughly the same time period as House. Same company too if I remember correctly. Austin deparately needs a real soccer field.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=10

21. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it that same 2nd division Danish club he trialed with a while ago? Because seriously, a 2nd division Danish club? I'm fairly certain I could start a team in HFA, slap an FC in the name, and it would be equal in stature and pay to a 2nd division Danish club.

22. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This may have been mentioned earlier but the March 5th friendly against Austin isn't on the schedule anymore.

23. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I'm seriously certain it wouldnt. Don't get it twisted as to stature(ability of the players there) and wages over in the 2nd division when compared to what a rookie like Euan and other rookies that aren't Gen.Adidas signing will have on the table.
    I love the Dynamo but he'd be making a wise choice going there first. Whenever he comes back he won't be signing for less than 35k and thats one of the reasons you take the offer from Denmark if given.

24. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, sarcasm aside, I genuinely do think that the difference in salary isn't much different. No way he's getting paid 6 figures there and after taxes, his take home won't be that much more. And the level of play will be ridiculously low then compared to MLS.

25. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate all the offseason speculation without a CBA. I wonder if the FO is just as confused as we are and doesn't want to make any moves until they know what the actual rules are.

I can't wait for the season to get here. That and the world cup it's gonna be really exciting.