Preseason schedule

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by lunatica, Dec 30, 2013.

1. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    This year in preseason Washington Spirit played against 5 college teams. They defeated Penn State 1:0, draw Duke 0:0, defeated UNC 2:0, lost to Maryland 2:0 and to UVA 6:3.

Who do you want to see the Spirit play in next preseason?
    Personally I would like them to do the same but replace UNC with Vtech. There was some drama with Anson Dorrance last time and Vtech was excellent this season. Or maybe just add more games?

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think five preseason games in probably a good number, or at least five in the region. If there's some sort of preseaon camp help somewhere warmer, then by all means do more preseason games.
    That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they do less this time around, since one "goal" of last year's run of games was to basically advertise for the team, which they don't need to do as much anymore.
    As for what teams to play, I don't really care, though it would be awesome if at least one preseason game was against another NWSL team. Wouldn't it be quite the buzz if they got a game with the Dash lined up?

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I wonder how much NT duty of some players will interrupt preseason this time around. There's Algarve Cup in March for sure. Possibly some friendlies later.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So what happened with Anson Dorrance?

5. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    He wanted to play by college rules. The college teams do not have the senior players. So they're at disadvantage.

6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    "The match almost didn’t happen, as North Carolina head coach Anson Dorrance insisted on playing with college substitution rules, despite being the guests of a professional team with NWSL guidelines stating pro/college exhibitions follow the “no re-entry” substitution format. Not wanting to turn nearly 2,000 fans away, Spirit GM Chris Hummer reluctantly agreed to the change."
    Source: http://www.nwslsoccer.com/home/707282.html

7. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    On second thought though if Dunn would end up on Washington Spirit roster it would be interesting to see her play against her college teammates.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I think that would be a good idea. SBFC isn't too far away, perhaps they could do a home and home preseason series?

9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  10. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Since it is pre-season, why don't they let the college teams substitute by their rules while the NWSL follows their substitution rules. Sometimes I think they make things more difficult then they need to be.

11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I think that maybe Parsons will be more willing to let UNC play by college rules.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNC did last year despite the Spirit's objections, so I'd be very surprised to see anything different this time.

13. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Next game added:
    April 5th @ the Plex against Maryland

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official announcement:

lunatica and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Great to hear that they'll play UVA too. Possibly many former teammates playing against each other and considering Spirit lost to them last year it should be interesting.
    I like the idea of Charity Match very much too. There'll be also public intersquad game (source: https://twitter.com/jgordon1987/status/428334429015003136)

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey @StarCityFan , what events/games are you planning to go to from that schedule?

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Planning? All of them. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but I will try.

18. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    #19 lunatica, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    The result of preseason game against UNC is 2:0. Goals from Matheson and Weimer.

The starting lineup for Washington was:
    (C) T. Huster, T. Pressley, Y. Averbuch, C. Nairn, R. Cuellar, T. Weimer, C. Jones, M. Morris, B. Sierra, J. Angeli, D. Adams.

A. Krieger, J. Taylor, C. Sandvej, L. Lindsey, C. Chapman, D. Matheson, A. Gay, R. Gayle all came on in the second half.

Fisher is no longer with the team. Dunn didn't play but there is possibility that we'll see her next week against UVA.

20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lunatica repped this.
  22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was pleased to see that the POTM in the Spirit's two preseason efforts were Meg Morris and Bianca Sierra, two undrafted players. I always like to see unheralded players come to the fore. And, maybe, just maybe, they'll be the answer to Washington's defense.

But, of course, hope springs eternal for all fans of all sports in Washington DC -- and is always dashed when reality rears its ugly head.

Blaze20 repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup... DCU opened this season 0-2 so far. Granted, last year's MLS Sheild winners started 0-2-2, so there's hope but..................

Also, last year the Spirit won their first two preseason games and then crashed even before the season started, so I still want to make sure they don't lose to more NCAA teams before I hope too much for the Spirit's D.

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Initial reports indeed indicate that defense looks much better but let's see how they'll deal with UVa this weekend since they lost to them last year 6:3. I think this year will be different.