Preseason Results

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Stupid_American, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Steven Goff, Crew falls 4-2 to DCU in 120 min of play.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

He lists the DC scorers (Emilio X 2, Moreno, & Gomez) and lineup (second post), but not much in the way of Crew details.

2. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how Goff starts it off "United Wins Easily". I would bet he wasn't even at the game. The result does not mean squat since probably half the guys playing were draft picks, and I don't believe Virtuoso and Herron have made it in yet.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Don't forget that DC should be much further along with regards to fitness etc as they have a game in the Champions Cup on 3/1(i think).

4. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    We've obviously got them right where we want them. Keep lulling them into a sense of superiority.:p

5. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, DC plays their first game in a mere 10 days, so they should be well ahead of all of our players.

Would love to see a Crew line-up though.

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dwight Burgess on MN wrote they are working to webcast the Fitz Memorial Match on the 15th against RSL. Apparently Dante will be joining him and will be working this year on the broadcasts. Don't know if that's just radio or TV as well.

If it's for everything, that's the most significant offseason move so far this year; droping McDermitt and picking up Dante.

He also said that there would be a very good TV package this year.

7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Actually it's next week (21st is the 1st leg in Honduras, March 1 is the 2nd leg at RFK).

8. Fútbol Fid

Fútbol Fid New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Columbus
    This is fantastic news.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wow, thats freakin fantastic.

10. KVelmer

KVelmer New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    I live in the Tampa Bay area and I made the trip today to see the DC - Columbus game. DC did win easy. Columbus was no danger at all for the first 70 minutes really. It was 4-0 DC before the reserves came in. Im not a DC or Crew fan I was just watching as a soccer fan. The Crew did not impress me at all. But its all just preseason, thats all it is.

I will be going to the game at USF on Thursday against Salt Lake

11. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    we certainly appreciate the update, though it pains us to hear it. did you recognize any of the Crew names/players are did they mostly seem to be rookies and trialists?

12. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    considering that the lineup for DC seemed to feature mostly first team starters, then i'm not totally surprised if we got drubbed without some of our first team.
    I still would like to see who we had playing. I wish the team's website would have some documentation...

13. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
  14. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At the very least it reads as if Gruenebaum had a decent outing.

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting GK on opening day!

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't think shutting out DC's reserves was that impressive, but I guess you take what you can. ;)

I'm more surprised that Hesmer didn't play. I thought he would be the top contender for Busch for the starting goalkeeper.

17. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Youre talking about the same Will Hesmer that couldnt beat out Bo Osheyni, right?

18. crewken

crewken Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Columbus
    I wonder if Dante will refer to himself as "Warshington" the way McDermott used to.

19. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet.com had the rounduo linked from their main page and had DC's entire lineup and subs, but sadly the Crew had nothing. Who is the guy the replaced Wuerth? Time to step up to the plate and start passing out some info.

20. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ari Fleischer?

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Stephany last I heard (but he is wearing two hats as he heads up the Crew Soccer Foundation as well and everything relatyed to that).

23. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for him to put on the news hat and stop worrying how to give another Linden football player more foundation money.

24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Snow.

Seriously though, the quality and quantity of the Crew's public information offerings has gone down the shitter in a real hurry since Weurth got the ax.

Lousy, embarassing team is the league laughingstock, and the single biggest of season move is canning the PR guy.

Maybe that's the plan: maybe Wuerth was doing too good a job, and management would prefer that the Crew's exploits be kept quiet.

If so, they're doing a brilliant job so far: the Preseason is well begun and, unlike all the other clubs, we've heard virtually nothing at all.

Shrewd.

25. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    [​IMG]

"Have Columbus Crew been losing? Well, I don't know that you can really sum up the entirety of the last couple seasons with a single word, or a participle, or even a gerund."