Preseason news & notes

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kool-aide, Mar 8, 2010.

1. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Yep, see it now. Thanks!

Well, there is a discrepancy with this list in that Philly's developmental players aren't the same as the dev. list at the Philly website story! Don't know what's up with that!

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My completely uneducated guess is that either Ocampo has a greencard or Nolin has dual citizenship or a greencard. If I had to bet, I'd go w/ Nolin. Via google, I eventually pieced together that Rebecca Nolin (or someone with her name) was a coach this summer with the Gwinnett Soccer Association and (maybe) her last name use to be Hall and she went to Kennesaw St. and played w/ the Silverbacks at one point (wiki has Rebecca Hall w/ an American nationality) Of course, this took a bit of searching and I could have the wrong person....The bigger point is that I shouldn't have to do that detective work. Cause now I feel a little creepy--internet stalker creepy.

ALTBeatNews & ATL_GM, I know the start of the season is incredibly busy and there are a TON of things for you & the other staff to do. And I know there were likely last minute player decisions. Unlike Texas Gator, I think that WPS and ATL has done fairly well with communication and you've done darn well with all the other aspects of starting a team (jersey sponsorship, stadium, etc). I'm guessing you're working 14-16 hr days right now (at least) so I know you're working hard and trying to do a great job. And I appreciate that. But please, learn from the FUBAR clusterf*@^ that is the new MLS site and PLEASE put up some basic bio info on the players as soon as you can (like today).

We fans have, at times, unrealistic expectations for info but getting out info on players and dominating the web is key for building the brand (I know you know this). WPS has done a great job, to this point, with their web presence and social networking (especially for such a new league). Don't drop the ball now. Getting info out via the web to fans about the players is HUGE. I'm fairly adept at internet searching and finding info and it took a while to construct any sort of bio on Nolin. That's a problem. And the font/table alignment of the roster release looks terrible. I know it will get fixed & look great soon but compared to what some of the other teams put out yesterday, it's pretty bad. Details like position, DOB rather than age, and noting which players are developmental players is rather useful. Also.

And Mexico is not a hometown. It is a country. Same with Denmark and Japan. I know ATL isn't the only team that lists country only for the internationals. But really, step up your game. thanks.

Thank you for all your hard work to bring WPS to Atlanta. As a fan, I appreciate it.

3. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes Rebecca Nolin and Rebecca Hall of the Silverbacks are one and the same person, and she would be a permanent resident alien with a green card.

4. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    I can only agree with Kool-aide that ATL has done a pretty good job up to now. I can only agree that writing reports on the internet must come far down on their lists of "to do"-importance wise.
    Anyway, I am sure, that as things get, "run in", they will have more time for us.

Happy Easter! everyone.

5. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be the Atlanta Beat captains ?

6. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Appreciate the comments. We are continuing to work hard to improve the website and our press releases. So that you know Rebecca (Becks) Nolin is the same one you have mentioned above. She is married to an American and does not count against the International number.

As for the Developmental Players, they are: Rebecca Nolin (Def), Blakely Mattern (Def), Mallori Lofton-Malachi (GK), Marisha Schumacher-Hodge (Mid).

As for the website, and so that you know, we have a process that we have to go to make major changes, it takes some time. We are working on imporving the process.

Do appreciate everyone's support. Stick with us. We are improving everyday, but still have a lot to do. Thanks.

7. ATLBeat News

ATLBeat News New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hi Beat Fans! Thanks so much for your input. We truly value your voices and are continuing to improve daily. We love your suggestions and will continue to share information with you as it becomes available. Below is our most recent press release:

Beat defeats Saint Louis Athletica

TULSA, OK (April 3, 2010) – The Atlanta Beat Women’s Professional Soccer team concludes this inaugural preseason with a 7-1 record after today’s 2-1 result over the Saint Louis Athletica (also of WPS) in Tulsa, Okla.

The Beat struck first as forward Ramona Bachmann dribbled a short corner into the box and sent a low, driven ball to Beat defender, and former Athletica centerback, Kia McNeill for a finish in the 27th minute. Bachmann, who rejoined the team in Tulsa following a national team call-up with Switzerland, also finished the game’s second goal to put the Beat up 2-0 at the 38th.

“It was a good game for us,” said Beat head coach Gareth O’Sullivan. “We got off to a nice 2-0 lead against a very talented Athletica squad.”

Thirty-five minutes into the first half, an injured Bachmann left the game but was probable to return. “While we tried to determine if she would come back, St. Louis scored,” said O’Sullivan. Athletica midfielder Shannon Boxx combined on a one-two with Aya Miyama before striking a far corner, left-footed finish.

Following the goal, the Beat replaced Bachmann with READ MORE

8. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought when I saw the final roster.

9. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know the players numbers and who the team captains are ?

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the numbers from the Tulsa game...

1-Allison Whitworth
    2-Lauren Sesselmann
    4-Stacy Bishop
    5-Katie Larkin
    6-Kia McNeill
    7-Leigh Ann Robinson
    9-Mami Yamaguchi
    10-Ramona Bachmann
    11-Angie Kerr
    12-Monica Ocampo
    13-Johanna Rasmussen
    14-McCall Zerboni
    15-Amanda Cinalli (she wasn't there but it was on the program)
    16-Blakely Mattern (I don't know if she was there)
    17-Brett Maron
    18-Shelley Thompson
    19-Tracy Hamm (I think, there was 19 on the field but not listed in the program)
    20-Sophia Mundy
    23-Marisha Schumaker-Hodge (I don't know if she was there)
    24-Rebecca Nolin (I don't know if she was there)

Tobin Heath wasn't at the game, so I'm not sure what number she wears. They had Zerboni and Sesselmann's numbers mixed up in the program. I thought Kia McNeill was the captain of the game in Tulsa.

Edit: Looking at my pictures from the game, McNeill was wearing the captain's armband.

11. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again Cville KC comes through..Thanks again for your contributions!!!

12. Garrettt

Garrettt Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Canton, GA
    Anybody here go to the UNC game? I know it was a lil while back but just wondering.

13. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States