Preseason news & notes

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kool-aide, Mar 8, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all. Let's have a new thread for all the preseason news & updates. The other threads are starting to get overly cluttered.

To get us started, here's a youtube clip "meet the assistant coach."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFK_xK34Nq0&feature=player_embedded]Robbie Nicholson[/ame]

Nicholson mentions fitness and if I interpreted a previous tweet from Makoski correctly, then Beat players must reach levle 15 in the beep test. Averbuch said in one of her NYT pieces that SB players were asked to reach level 16 (and do 10 pull ups).

2. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 9, 2010: The Atlanta Beat added Christine Latham and released Jill Hutchison, Amanda Poach, Shaneka Gordon and Kasey Langdon from its preseason camp.

3. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    She must have her greencard then I would assume. I give myself a pat on the back for seeing she was going to Atlanta on the hunch of a tryout, it's a nice pickup if it works out.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor that Makoski tore her ACL. That would suck quite a bit (particularly for her).

5. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard the same, Twitters from Leslie Osborne, Weimer, and Makoski and others.

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta GM just confirmed on Twitter that Makoski had a season ending ACL. Seems like we are just days into camp and that's at least two major ACLs across all the teams that I have heard about.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible news for Makoski. Who is the other ACL during camp (my brain is mush right now and if I knew at one point, I don't remember).

8. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noelle Kesslica was the other ACL injury

9. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Can't seem to find much preseason info on Atlanta. Are there any write-ups of the games? Is Heath playing?

11. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty boring preaseason with no news releases. We are all in the dark

12. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    don't think so:(

13. jerseysoccer09

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    really? still sick?

14. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Sorry, all, we have been runnign around a ton. Check out the websiate at www.theatlantabeat.com for updates. But, to give you the update here. Lost Manya Makoski to a season ending knee injury during the opening week of training...total bummer. So far, we beat KSU 8-0, had an intrasquad scrimmage and played Auburn winning 3-2 (sloppy game, but at least the girls came through).

Have released 5 players (which will be released tomorrow). Got Monica Ocampo in, finally, on Sunday...so have full compliment of foreigners now! Once Tobin gets in, which should be soon, we will be full up.

Had our 1st Annual Atlanta Beat 5k Run on Saturday. Was the first public event for fans to meet the team. Check out our website for pics.

Hosted an event today at Shout to introduce WellStar as our jersey sponsor. Great day. Fans got to meet the players and see our new jerseys. Some good media out there, as well.

Team had a closed door scrimmage against a youth boys team tonight from Cobb FC. Team looked much better, much more organized. Bachmann is the real deal, I can promise you. Yamaguchi and Kerr did a nice job in the middle. Play in the back was much better. And Ocampo scored a cracker.

Team leaves for Florida on Thursday for 4 matches in 8 days (US u-20's, FSU, Breakers, UofF). Then, comes home to play UNC on March 28th. Round out the preseason against Athletica in Tulsa.

That is about all. Again, check out our website for pics and updates. I will try to do better and jump on BS to give you all updates.

15. jerseysoccer09

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Thanks for the update - it's much appreciated!

16. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks SHAWN

17. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Wow, Atlanta released both Sharolta Nonen and Christine Latham!!?? What's up with that!?

18. Garrettt

Garrettt Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Canton, GA
    A lot of moves going down over the transactions wire. Teams have to figure out who will do the best for them over the long haul.
    What is the difference in being waived and being released from a preseason camp? I assume there was a contract already in place for a waived person?

With this new info about her being sick and her previous instances missing National team call ups Tobin Heath seems to be having extended issues with sickness. Hope she can get that behind her and get some time in with her team mates. Looking forward to seeing her do well in the league.

I hope the stadium is coming along on schedule. I have a friend who went by and said there were a rather large labor force devoted to getting things done. I am seriously contemplating taking a trip out there tomorrow to take a look myself...

19. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So just so that i am clear here, of the remaining 24 player roster, you need to trim just 2 more before March 31st?
    Does Makoski count as she is out for the entire season as well?

Great to see Becks in there!

ATLANTA BEAT 24-PLAYER ROSTER
    Allison Whitworth
    Amanda Cinalli
    Angie Kerry
    Blakely Mattern
    Brett Maron
    Johanna Rasmussen
    Katie Larkin
    Katie McCoy
    Kia McNeill
    Leigh Ann Robinson
    Mami Yamaguchi
    Manya Makoski
    Marisha Schumacher-Hodge
    McCall Zerboni
    Monica Ocampo Medina
    Rebecca Nolin
    Ramona Bachmann
    Shameka Gordon
    Shannon Myers
    Shelley Thompson
    Sophia Mundy
    Stacy Bishop
    Tobin Heath
    Tracy Hamm

20. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Just an FYI...Manya does not count, as she is on IR. We have Kerri Hanks coming into camp along with Lauren Sesselmann...

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Health is not in camp yet, is she over her illness but needs to regain her strength?

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly finishing classes. That's what Cheney is doing.

23. WPS fan 55

WPS fan 55 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thomas Hofstetter, sky blue president, twitter account from yesterday:

Just ran into Tobin Heath. Great to see her feel better. Still weak but on her way up. Go Tobin.

My guess is that she still might be in Jersey.

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus the pick-up of Hanks