Prescription Eyewear

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by microbrew, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Any recommendations for goggles or etc. for soccer? I usually wear contacts, but had an episode where my eyes just started to water up. I think it was allergies, as the soccer field was near an orchid. So, I'm looking into something as a backup.

I understand that a player in the English Premier league wore goggles in a match because of an eye infection. Any idea what brand and model it was?

2. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    I had a buddy on a team who wore Rec-Specs. He ended up going by the nickname Rex, but they worked for him. Every now and then, they would fog up a little, but overall they worked for him.

3. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I need some prescription eyewear too. I went to tryouts at a college, and as luck would have it their field was out on a plain on a windy day. I could barely look around or the wind would blow so hard my contacts would not stay in place, and then when I started sweating they really started bugging my eyes. Anyone else have that problem with contacts?

Contacts suck. How much are those prescription goggles?

4. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I wore rec-specs.... they were like $150 CND about 5 years ago

People used to call me Horace Grant hahaha

5. i dont really have a problem with my contacts...unless its a really shitty field that has alot of loose dirt and its windy and i get whatever blows around in my eyes.

6. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I guess another option is to wear contacts but have a wrap-around shield or such to keep the wind and dust out. Anyone know if the shields are legal or not? I'm thinking of the type used for racquet ball or basketball.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You mean Edgar Davids?[​IMG]

IIRC, he had to get special permission from FIFA because the glaucoma medication he was taking contained a banned substance.
    He wears Oakley and I believe it's a custom model, but I couldn't find any information at the Oakley site.

8. Stomper

Stomper New Member

Feb 20, 2003
    OKC, OK
    My contacts have never really been a problem for me when I play, but you have another option nobody has brought up yet, Lasik, The eye surgery Tiger Woods had done. If you got the cash that is.
    Just something else to think about.

9. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I don't think that his glasses are even perspcription...simply to protect his eyes (getting poked in the eye etc)

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well, yeah. I was responding to the poster who was asking about a professional player wearing goggles because of an eye infection.

And you can get prescription Oakley shades, can't you?

11. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Ya i'm pretty sure...

12. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    It wasn't Edgar Davies- it was an English Premier league match, and the player in question usually wore contacts.

And Davies doesn't have an eye infection- he has glaucoma. As a trivial note- there was a Utah Jazz player who wore an eyeshield due to glaucoma.

About the only brand of goggles I can find is Rex-plex. My prescription is bad enough that I can't wear most Oakleys due to the curvature of the the wrap-around sunglasses.

Another sidenote- I've noticed baseball players wearing eyeshields with a prescription insert. I might consider this too, but I don't know if they'll stay on if I get smacked in face.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Prescription Eyewear

Yup...but you are limited to the strength of the lens depending on the model.

14. luvscoring

luvscoring New Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I am nearsighted and for playing soccer I have used both Rec Specs Maxx 30 53 and Slam. The Slam goggles have rubber on the inside which provided protection from impact by the soccer ball or another player. I purchased mine through SportRx.com. My goggles came in a timely manner and the opticians are very knowledgeable.