Premiership Manager of the Year

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, May 8, 2005.

1. cods5

cods5 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Oz
    Hear Hear!!

2. cods5

cods5 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Oz
    From second place last seson to first place this season, what an achievement - 17th to 4th ??? :rolleyes:

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Who managed them to 17th last year though? Moyes did.

Last season Everton went from 7th to 17th, now they have gone from 17th to 4th.

It is an improvement from a position that he caused himself, if you do sh!t in the first place you leave yourself plenty of room to achieve.

Mourinho has taken Chelsea to the best season in the history of the Premiership.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i find it impossible to vote for anyone but Moyes. I mean good lord this was a club EVERYONE was picking to drop at the begining of the season and lost its two best players Rooney and Gravrson, a team with a wage bill that is dwarfed by most clubs in the premiership, and all they did is qualify for the champions league...amazimg. A monkey could have managed Chelsea to a respectable finish.

5. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But look at what Mourinho had to work with and what Moyes had. Then look at the end of season results. Who do you really think did the better job? It has to be Moyes. Mourinho took a team of high dollar stars and did what was expected. Moyes took a team of regular players and did what nobody expected.

6. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    And Allardyce took a bunch of washed up free transfer has beens, and qualified for Europe. Now that's impressive!

7. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it is the UEFA Cup and not CL. Plus, I don't like Bolton. ;)

8. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Moyes, but I find these bashes against Mourinho ridiculous. Yes, he's got loads of cash to spend. Yes, he's got great players.

But he led a team, in a foreign league, with lots of new faces, to the BEST SEASON IN EPL HISTORY! I'm sure all these posters on BS could have done that.

I guess what everybody's saying is that to be a good manager you have to have a total shite team then finish only some 30 points behind the league leaders.

Mourinho's an easy target because he's a total asshat and has ridiculous amounts of money to spend, but could we please recognize him as a very good manager?

9. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did a good job, I'll admit that. I just believe it is a bit easier when you already have some of the best players to start with.

And yes, Mourinho is an asshat! ;)

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got to be Moyes he's had an exceptional season!

11. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for today! OUCH!!!!

12. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

13. ChampionFan

ChampionFan New Member

May 5, 2005
    Yes, losing 7-0 is certainly exceptional..!

Get outa here, how can you deny a manager who, in his first season in a foreign country has :

Won the Premiership with a record number of points

Broke the clean sheets record

Broke the number of wins record

Won two major trophies.

Who's team were actually behind only five times in the entire league season.

Who are about to break the minimum goals conceded record.

Who's team went over ten hours without conceding.

Who turned Joe Cole into an England player worth having

Who stuck it to Man Utd 3 times, and drew the other game.

Who won twice at Old Trafford.

No - give to 0-7 David Moyes - only 33 points adrift, and won fvck all!

You are measuring his "achievement" against the disaster of his own making last season, hardly a fair benchmark since the season before the same team performed well, so you rewarding him based on his own last year's failure.

Hardly a valid yardstick, If he had performed as he should have last season, this year would have been a good improvement, but not exceptional.

You are advocating rewarding inconsistency.

14. novascotia

novascotia New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Truro, Nova Scotia
    moyes get my vote for sure, they only really had graveson and then he was delt with, then they picked up beattie who did nothing at all, moyes led them to forth place and turned marcus bent into a threat on the field who needs injury plagued beattie

15. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jose Mourinho.

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, then perhaps we should measure them against the more valid yardstick of expectations relative to the capital invested in their teams.

17. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Right. All the clubs played by the same rules in August. Went through a Season. So ********ing what he had Money to spend. He still had to win the stupid thing. The Season before Abramovic came in, were people complaining that Man Utd Spent a stupid amount of money on players. I think not.

Ps. Haway the toon.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    no quarrels there.

if one wants to assert that mourinho should be manager of the year, i'll not argue. he surely did the job.

i was just asserting that if, as suggested, moyes should be measured against one yardstick of expectations - which he exceded - then it's not unfair to measure mourinho against his yardstick of expectations - which were met - but simply could not be exceded, as he was given resources with which anything less than the title would be unacceptable. just ask claudio ranieri.

19. fireballil

fireballil Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Litchfield,Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have voted for Moyes even before the 7-0 result, but I think some consideration would be given to Stuart Pearce if he had been in charge longer, he has only lost once since replacing Keegan.

20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    lets be honest here people. even I could have coached that Chelsea team to a premiership title.

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tactics, It's all about tactics sunshine. Formations, It's all about formations sunshine. Training, it's all about training sunshine. Lets be honest here, i dont think you could have won it cupcake, also he has already won the stupid Champions League so i dont think that the Chelsea squad just had to turn up every stupid weekend and they were garanteed 3 poins.

Ps. Hawy the toon. Mines a pint and a packet of nuts.

22. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Moyes
    2) Mourinho

and

16) Wenger
    17) SAF

If you voted for either of them (and there are 54 votes for them!) then you are infinitely crazy. Dreadful season for both of them. Not an outright disaster for either, but way below expectations. Let's face it, for those two sides a UEFA Cup place is the same thing as relegation is for most of the EPL.

23. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

24. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston