Premiership Manager of the Year

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, May 8, 2005.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Who do you think should be name the Premiership Manager of the Year?

2. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    it's obviously got to be david moyes: he came off a horrible season, lost wayne rooney and thomas gravesen and tomasz radzinski, and only made two signings over the summer, and got everton to fourth with minimal resources and everyone pulling against him.

3. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Moyes was a no-brainer. This team was sure-fire relegation bait at the beginning of the season, especially with the sales of Rooney then, shortly after the season began, Gravesen. To be headed to Europe instead... that's beyond compare this season.

4. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Rooney was sold right before the start of the season, leaving Moyes with no time to look for a replacement or spend the cash. Graveson was sold to Real Madrid in January, half-way through the season. If Moyes does not win, the voting was rigged. (Both on BS and the actual award.) Everyone thought they would be fighting relegation all season. Instead, Everton have remained 4th all season. From division 1 to the Champions League in three quick seasons while selling the best players. That never happens.

David Moyes, easily.

5. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you were to ask me TODAY, who is a team most likely headed for relegation I would still think Everton. Had he survived mid-table, Moyes would be deserving of recognition; however the fact that he got that team to CL is one of the best managing jobs I've seen.

And anyone voting for Rafa is just batshit crazy. This is a PREMIERSHIP poll and he hasn't proven capable of managing in the EPL. If this were CL MOY, he would deserve the votes, but not for this.

6. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    We were never in Division 1. Just really close to it.

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time will tell, but if Southhampton stays up, it's 'arry.

But this means that Norwich will need to lose at Fulham and Soton draw with ManU. Southhampton would stay up on Goal Differential, IIANM.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick reminder to those voting for Rafa Benitez... The reds are overachieving in the Champions League, they're underachieving in the premier league!

9. Yobbogadaba

Yobbogadaba BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 29, 2003
    Swe
    Obvious choice: Sam Allardyce.

10. Yobbogadaba

Yobbogadaba BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 29, 2003
    Swe
    A reminder to those who vote for Moyes, Evertons table place isnt because of Moyes it is because of the players, the manager does 10% the players does 90% at least.

11. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

- Moyes is the only choice. And - yes, I know the players play the game - but he develops the strategies and puts the players on the field - just like all the other managers do. Nobody has done more with less.

12. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    And I couldn't edit.

Still, 17th to 4th.

13. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And Allardyce suited up for which game exactly? I would love to know, Mr. Pot.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?? Does this mean we don't give an award for manager of the year? Or, since the players contribute the same 90% for every team, that we're voting on the best contribution of 10% to the cause - which brings us back to Moyes?

15. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    What if Liverpool had not been a hospital this season? Because of the genius that is Benitez Liverpool were fighting for the 4th spot till the end and with all their injuries this season. Take away the injuries they would have probably been 4th or higher. Im not trying to say what Everton did isn't a good thing. To be realistic, If Liverpool had not been a hospital this season Everton would be a UEFA cup team. Their acomplishment is more connected to the injuries that Liverpool had rather than Everton being some great team (which they arent)

16. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Chelsea dominated, broke records, won the championship and almost go to the CL final. Not only that but Mourinho owned Sir Alex.

17. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    There are a million "if" scenarios. The bottom line is that Liverpool were hurt most of the season, and that's part of, but not the entire, reason as to why they are where they are.

But it's utterly ridiculous to diminish Everton's accomplishments this season. To say that "their accomplishment is more connected to the injuries that Liverpool had rather than Everton being some great team" is pure rubbish. That team, while perhaps overachieving, is a bunch of nobodys. I'm not saying we're a great team, but we were certainly a better team than Liverpool this year regardless of injuries. They couldn't win games when they needed to, they couldn't make up ground when we slipped up. They were just awful in the league this year.

18. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Mourinho wins hands down. This is not even a contest.

19. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    All the top teams did it by purchasing top players. They were expected to be at the top of the table.

Sam Allardyce got his Bolton Wanderers into a UEFA spot on a shoestring. I can't imagine what he could do with a Chelsea budget.

The Manager of the Year should be the one who Managed a team to a far better spot than they were expected to be in at season's end. In this regard, it could only be David Moyes or Sam Allardyce.

20. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    fine. suppose the table positions were reversed: Liverpool 4th, Everton 5th. guess what, that still makes moyes the clear choice for having so greatly exceeded pre-season expectations, whereas 'pool would only have met theirs.

21. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    I am astonished Mourinho is polling so well. He inherited a team that finished second last season after bringing in a half-dozen new players. Chelsea spent truckloads of cash again last summer, and Mourinho watches his team finish first. How is that so huge an accomplishment that he deserves to be honored as Manager of the Year? How is that an accomplishment at all?

Thank goodness fans don't pick these awards.

Moyes will win the award or I'll eat my hat!

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It isn't all about money though.

Mourinho is in his first season in a foreign league and has set a new record for points, and is on course to set a record for the least goals ever conceded.

I'm sure all the gooners last year would have been calling Wenger manager of the year, when his accomplishments don't touch those of Mourinho.

23. cods5

cods5 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Oz
    Why are you even voting in this poll then, as by your reckoning the players do everthing - I like Allardice and think he has done a good job, but if you think he gets it over Moyes, then you have severe dillusions.

24. cods5

cods5 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Oz

You fool, with an open chequebook I could win manager of the year. With a 40 million pound in debt club I dont think many could do what Moyes has done.