Premierleague.com Drafted League

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DoctorJones24, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Welcome back, all.

There were 6 of us from last year's parallel draft league who stayed active the whole year, and it made for a great season. This year, we are looking to add 4 new managers to make it an even 10. We have already added one (JG_Revs) and now ArsenalTexan and Scouse are in, so we've got one spot left. First person to post here gets it.

If you see your username listed, you've got your spot reserved:

1) DoctorJones24
    2) Ingromius
    3) Hal
    4) Clanblue
    5) kopiteinkc
    6) JG_Revs
    7) 1-800 World Cup.com
    8) Arsenal_Texans
    9) Scouse
    10) _______________

To participate in the draft league you will have to:

A) login to the main site again with a new email/username/password
    B) create a new team full of scrubs
    C) get the private league password from me and join

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for setting this up Dr Jones.

Glad to see my space reserved, wanna PM me with the password?

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    How the Draft will work:

There are three ways we can do the draft:

OPTION 1: Extended "Rolling" Draft
    This method would be designed to take 7-10 days. We would set up a draft order, and the draft would officially begin at 6pm on Sunday, Aug. 3 (EST). Whoever is up would make his pick by posting it on a special Draft Thread. Then he would PM the next person in the order, and so on. The benefit of this is that we would could all go about our lives, just checking in periodically to see if our turn was up. Patience would be a key (which, admittedly, has not been our strong suit in past drafts! :) ).

OPTION 2: Two Hour "Live" Draft
    This would also use a special Draft Thread or the BS Chat room; we'd all agree on a time and show up to conduct the full draft quickly. To make this go quickly, we'd have to enforce a 2 minute per pick rule. The benefits are that this is pretty fun and instantly gratifying. The downside is that it can be tough (near impossible?) to settle on a time good for everyone. And even when we do, it's likely someone will miss or have to leave early. (We could use backup "ranked draft lists" to solve this problem, though).

OPTION 3: Live/Rolling Hybrid Draft
    We could start with the Rolling draft for the key early round picks, to make sure everyone is able to pick their own top 7-8 guys. But then we could schedule a "live" cleanup day, where as many of us as possible try to meet and finish the draft quickly. This would make using draft lists less of a big deal, as managers scrape the bottom of the EPL barrel.

Personally, I like live drafts, but they can be unfair to those who miss out, and can be a pain to even try and set up in the first place. So I vote for Option 1 this year, with Option 3 as a backup if things are going too slowly. Your thoughts?

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Cool. But try to be a bit more active throughout the season this time. It definitely made it less fun last year when you and Outback Mav were totally dead teams. I do realize in your case that this was due mostly to forgetting your password (thus having go re-register with a new team). Anyway, welcome back. That sets the league.

Sorry for anyone who didn't get in. But it would be simple to just start your own if you still like the idea. Hey, we could even end up with a few division and some kind of interdivisional Cup. Let us know if anyone does this.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clanblue has set up a Chelsea draft league similar to what we have in mind, maybe an interdivisional cup could be set up??

What do you think Paul?

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Also, I need email addresses from the following managers, so I can add you to the group mail list and contact everyone easily. Just PM them to me when you get a chance:

Arsenal_Texan
    Scouse
    JG_Revs
    Captain Splarg

I will be away from a computer from Thursday am until Sunday evening. That's why I was suggesting the Rolling draft beging that evening.

One problem with starting then would be that there will be new trasfers into the Premiership after our draft begins. However, that is likely to happen no matter when we begin, considering the window doesn't close until Aug 31. So the rule will be that anyone listed on BBC's "New Transfers" page by the day of our draft will be eligible. All other latecomers will be lumped in with the Free Agents after the draft is over.

PS: I'll post the draft order before I leave on Thursday if you like. I'm just going to put everyone's name in a hat...

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whatever option you choose works for me, not going anywhere and I have access to BS at home and at work, so I am flexible.

Sunday evening sounds good.

9. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Glad to see the wheels getting into motion for another season. No more bridesmaid for me, looking for some GOLD hardware this time around!

A small set of draft issues: I'll be flying back over to the UK on around the 19th of Aug, so I'd hope to have the draft finalized before the chaos of this year's transatlantic move engulfs me. The only other issue might be unbreakable medical appointments for rabies shots (I'm not kidding!) but as long as we discuss with plenty of notice, this shouldn't be a problem.

LSG in 2003. See, it even rhymes.

Jon

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    That is an excellent idea Mark.

If everybody else is agreeable we can do something with it down the road.It was hard last year, if i remember right, to get anything going with the drafted league because of the small amount of teams, comparing it of course to the much, much, larger "regular" Big Soccer one.

Reminds me, i still have to register for this one.
    (this will be team #3...if i come out of all these drafts still married i'll be doing well)

BTW..Jay, on the Chelsea board we have gone with what you have in option 1.
    There is almost 3 full weeks untill the kickoff.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's let both leagues get going, then after a few weeks have a few cups and stuff.

That gives everyone a chance to settle in and get used to it (we do have a few new players). There'll be injuries and teams that everyone will want to get players from if they do well (Portsmouth, Leicester, etc) or dump if they under achieve (Chelsea!!). ;)

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    As I'll be in a work-retreat all day tomorrow, and then leave the next morning for a boat trip until Sunday, I figured I'd go ahead and post the draft order now. Here's how it came out. The first round can begin anytime after 6pm on Sunday, so everyone do your draft prep over the weekend. Check for those EPL new transfers and injuries.

DRAFT ORDER (to be reversed in alternating rounds)

1. Scouse
    2. 1-800 WC.com
    3. Arsenal_Texan
    4. Ingromius
    5. DoctorJones24
    6. Clanblue
    7. Captain Splarg
    8. JG_Revs
    9. Hal
    10. Kopiteinkc

Remember to keep track of your finances. You need to draft 15 players with 100 mil to spend.

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pick 10 is my handicap from last year's success, I can take that, but a bluenose with the first pick, that's not right ;)

15. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm back from Italy and am ready for the draft.

So far we have:

Kopite Juniors Chloe Adams
    1800-UK.com Glenn Hoddle
    DC Chickenhawks J. Jones
    London Saint-Germain Jimballs Stoobeyboobey
    I Hate Man U Brian Schoenfelder
    Romans Roubles Andrew Hughes
    Aviators Hal Jones

I make that 7 teams. ;)

16. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    i'll tell you what's even worse than that....i'm picking a manc as my first choice

1. Ruud van Nistelrooy (£11.5m)

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    You won't be picking anybody mate if you don't get the password and sign up for the league.
    You, arse-tex and JG revs are all missing from the league.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL. When I first read that, I thought you were calling Scouse an "Arse-Tex" and I was thinking, what the hell is that :D

19. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Just wanted to let everyone know I have no problem with people picking before Sunday (obviously it makes no difference when Scouse picked...unless Ruud blows his hamstring tomorrow). I just said Sunday because I'll be on a boat for the next 4 days, so you'll have to stop at pick 5 anyway.

Sunday night, though, I will be visiting Ingromius, so hopefully we can get a few rounds in if possible.

20. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suggest everyone subscribes to this thread.

My pick coming up shortly.

21. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    nah, nah...i signed up before making my pick...

22. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. Postiga (Tottenham) 8 Million

23. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tried to PM Arsenal_Texan

:(

24. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I found him and sent a message to ArsenalTexan3

25. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can everyone post their Team name so that we know who's who.

I'm 1800-UK.com