Premier League Suspended - Returns June 17, First Liverpool Game June 21

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wingtips1 repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as 1) people stay safe and healthy, and 2) we finish the season which seems like most people know must happen.

Red Bird repped this.
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Question for you on this thing, Hubba. I saw Boris Johnson finally mention it a day or two ago (not sure which day's briefing I was watching) -
    But (insofar as I can tell, in terms of the economic issues) it's going to be nearly as important to have an antibody test (and then mass availabilty). I think a few countries are working on this, if Boris's tone was to be believed - and given that they have a perfect data sample on hand (sick people), shouldn't this be something that can be come up with pretty quickly?
    How long in your estimation for this to get workable? You are a scientist who works in this (or a close enough field) I think??

If they don;t have a way of determining that someone has had it who didn't know they had it, all this isolation will then of necessity be continually recurring......

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have been thinking the same for some time. But supposedly antibody test is close-ish .......

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t expect games to resume until June in any case.

6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stolen from twitter or rawk - can't recall where -

The coronavirus started on the other side of the world but put up a better title challenge than any of the other 19 domestic clubs.

:ROFLMAO:

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My birthday is May 24 and I'm not expecting to see another game/life back to normalish until at least then.

10. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't need antibody tests. It's much quicker and easier to use PCR (polymerase chain reaction). You isolate RNA from a nasal swipe and then use a pair of short pieces of DNA (called primers) that bind to the viral sequence and then amplify this in a specialized block incubator called a PCR thermocycler. This can be done in a matter of hours and if there are even low levels of virus in the patient you'll have a black and white answer as to whether they have caught the virus.

What they are probably talking about is developing passive immunotherapy. This is where you can use the serum from someone who has been infected with the coronavirus and developed antibodies against it to transfuse it into someone currently infected with it. This can be used in an emergency to try to temporarily increase someone's immune system. The old way to do this is to use the whole serum, a new technique which may end up being used is to clone the gene from the immune cells of the person that makes the antibody and then produce and purify it from tissue culture. This then provides you with a specific neutralizing antibody (you've probably seen commercials for various antibodies that are used to combat a ton of different diseases - e.g. psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, certain kinds of cancer, etc.)

Realistically, probably about 70% of the global population is either going catch this virus in the next year, or we will restrict it long enough to do mass immunizations on the timescale of about a year from now. After that, there will be no need to test whether people have had it or not.

zaqualung, bayred and speker repped this.
  11. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true, I'm walking dead. No way I'm going to be able to fight off this virus. Kinda grim...

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    thnx for the highly informative answer/info.

I think the first part of your answer (underlined above) answers what I was asking. FYI - I wasn't really asking it from any treatment development question or standpoint, so wasn't asking about the passive immunotheraphy angle you mention. but that's interesting.

As to the underlined part -
    This PCR test, just for clarity, you are saying that that type of test will show the remainder/residue of viral material that is left after an infection (for want of a better way of putting it)? Same as the way there's a residue of measles, mouth herpes, etc.??

Assuming that's the case - Is it feasible that they can ramp up quickly to getting this test available to the general population in the space of a few months?

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My real concern is that the world economy won't bear that length of necessitated isolation. A few months maybe, if we're lucky. Hence (in my view ) the absolute need for an all clear system to start to function (quickly)

Wingtips1 repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

this is something i had posted in the other (random)thread ....

It can be done. Hang tight. Have faith. Nothing about this thing is written in stone.

upload_2020-3-20_20-50-29.png

StiltonFC repped this.
  15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the fly in the ointment is that i have a brand of lymphoma/leukemia which attacks red blood cells, so my respiratory system is already compromised.

we are keeping isolated as much as is possible. i will have to go to a grocery store periodically to get fresh produce, but Ralphs is opening for seniors from 7am to 7:30am so there will be far fewer customers. i ordered swimming goggles and will wear a surgical mask and gloves.

thanks for the encouraging words, Z. it means a lot..

16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Go to the markets early .... Don't be like me and randomnly oversleep it when its important!!.
    And disinfect well on the in and outs of house entry. Just Stay away from people ..... and instead enjoy watching their ever replayable replicas on TV!
    Good luck with this one, man.

Oh, and watch Three Days of the Condor another couple of times ... that can't hurt! ;)

StiltonFC repped this.
  17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    easy for you to say...:)

18. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No the PCR test is what is being used right now, but it will only detect presence of the virus itself in an active case. A successful immune response will clear your system of any remaining virus. They may institute a point of service test if this goes on for a long time (years). That would be one where they place purified viral proteins, like the protein which binds the virus to the host cell, and then test a drop of blood for antibodies. This would be a lot like a pregnancy test, and could be as short as 10-15 minutes. The problem is that they need to know which proteins people typically raise antibodies to, and they'd need to do a lot of testing to make sure that it was effective and doesn't give false positives and/or false negatives. My guess is by the time these are widely available, we may be well on the way to a vaccine and drug therapies. Once everyone is immunized (either by infection or by vaccination), this sort of test is less useful.

The PCR test is really quite basic to design (we do similar types of experiments daily in my lab - although we work with plants not humans - but the principle is the same for every type of organism). The main bottleneck at the moment is hospitals need to use specialized viral RNA extraction kits to isolate and purify the coronavirus genomic RNA. These are apparently very limited - hospitals in MI have been asking researchers to donate kits because they are running out. If you don't have the RNA isolation kits, you can't run the PCR test... Just another example of how superbly screwed up the US response to this viral outbreak has been. There are reports that the intelligence community had been warning since Dec and Jan that we needed to begin preparing for this to spread to the US. Ramping up production of these testing kits and RNA isolation kits should have been done back then - but apparently folks high up in this administration believed that simply cancelling flights from China would be enough. This frankly flies in the face of everything epidemiologists know about how epidemics spread. Really amazingly short-sighted mistakes that will unfortunately lead to more sickness and mortality than might have happened if things had been handled properly.

Hey Stilts, I'll echo what Zaq has written. Its important to remain positive and calm. I think everyone should understand that this is likely with us until we develop effective vaccines. Until then, for those who are older or have underlying health conditions it is really important to remain isolated as much as possible. Look into grocery delivery, or pre-ordering so they can simply come out and pack the groceries in your trunk. But remember, awareness and avoiding places where you might come into contact with infected people, and effective hand washing will go a long way to keeping you healthy. Just because you can't see the virus doesn't mean it has superpowers. Staying away from others by ~6 ft and religiously washing hands regularly and especially whenever you come home from being outside will dramatically reduce the chances of becoming infected. Good hygiene will beat this virus every time - it's not rocket science!

If our public health mitigation strategies work, we will see the numbers of infections flattening or dropping in the next couple of weeks (probably we've got another week or two of these cases going up rapidly, but after that we hopefully will see things stabilize). Further, we may see the speed at which future outbreaks amplify become significantly slower as we move into the warmer months due to people being outside more, and more adverse conditions (higher temps, more sunlight, more humidity in the air) affecting the length of time the virus particles remain infectious in the environment.

Life is going to be different for the next several months... but we are an adaptable species and we'll learn to cope and overcome this just as we have for millions of years.

StiltonFC, newterp and speker repped this.
  19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I NEVER tire of watching this sublime goal

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang in there. Like others have said, nothing is set in stone. Stay positive. We might not agree on much but we don't want anything bad to happen to you!

newterp and CB-West repped this.
  21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Speak for yourself. :eek: :D

Nah, stay healthy Stilts,

StiltonFC and burning247 repped this.
  22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time for a vote??? ;)

23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And yet Trump thinks he is a hero for doing this ............

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Look after yourself Stilts.

It angers/saddens me no end to see assholes lining up for pubs on St Patrick's day/Spring Break with no regard for their parents/grandparents ........

StiltonFC repped this.
  25. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The GOP senators who received the briefings, told the public everything was OK but privately dumped millions in stocks should go to jail.

Want to chant "lock them up"? Now you have a REAL reason.

asitis repped this.