Premier League Suspended - Returns June 17, First Liverpool Game June 21

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    This is getting more and more serious. Taking off my human compassion and tragedy hat for a moment and looking at this purely through LFC-tinted glasses, here's what I'd like and expect to see, assuming (not unrealistically) that this gets far worse before it gets better:
    1. We play Atletico - and qualify for the QFs - in front of a full house at Anfield. Looking very likely on the full house front anyway.

2. We wrap up the league as soon as possible, making us immune (pardon the pun) to any cancellations or postponements. This is hopeful but not certain as to gain the 6 points we need, assuming no more favors from City, the earliest we can do it is March 21st. It's possible, but unlikely, by then that there'll be a lockdown and postponements in place.

3. Continue with the CL, assuming qualification. This is the most obvious competition to take a hit. I can see UEFA and the various country FAs and governments either postponing or cancelling the tournament. The best case scenario might be all games behind closed doors which removes our considerable Anfield advantage.​

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think the U.K. will postpone games - they may play them behind closed doors for a couple of rounds like La Liga is doing. Serie A was a special case as the Italian government reacted way way too slowly.

The CL is too lucrative to not play - they will leave it to each team to decide what to do about closed doors. If we progress the next round isn’t for several weeks - so this issue could be over (or worse of course).

Supposedly in China the new cases are going down (or they are lying of course).

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They're already talking abut playing in alternative venues and can obviously play behind closed doors. The games will be played. They are unlikely to suddenly change the date/location of the final unless it is decided that it will be played behind closed doors.

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Don’t be so certain that games won’t be postponed or go behind closed doors in the U.K.

As I understand these matters, the U.K. is now, with infection rates, deaths and new cases, at an almost identical place as Italy was 2 weeks ago.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2020 will go down in history as the year we finally won the Prem title but holy crap, it's otherwise pretty depressing so far.

delaynomo repped this.
  6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I see the City/Arsenal game has been cancelled - in a harbinger of things to come - which means at the very least we don't claim the trophy at Goodison. Shame. But the sooner we do claim it, the better, because I do think games are going to be postponed which will delay the inevitable.

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    postponed not cancelled.

Samarkand repped this.
  8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Oops, yes, postponed, not cancelled.

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Crap. #s1&3 gone and #2 looking iffy now. Looking like our game with The Bitters will be postponed. Arteta and Hudson-Odoi have come down with it and it looks like other clubs are also having problems.

The best case scenario left for us is that the League will be postponed not cancelled and resumed when this clears up.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Unconfirmed but likely rumor that season is postponed until April 4th.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes sense to me - given that all our schools in Maryland just got placed on a two week "break" - and all the other sports leagues have done a lock down as well.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to Corona Virus. I think this will only be a planning phase and a longer suspension through April will occur.

13. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well we can always playpl into June as there is no way the European championship is happening this summer

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the CL and EL get cancelled (despite the revenue) and the domestic leagues get completed. The Euros have to be moved. It's criminal if UEFA doesn't do that.

15. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Wanna wake up from the bad dream into Reality when our Winter break has extended into the Corona virus break and we need to start From Atletico Madrid away.Again.

:D:p:ninja:

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    There is space in the calendar to complete the PL as Euro '20 has been moved to the summer of '21.

I've been saying for a while, I think the CL and Europa get cancelled as they are trans-national competitions and there's more than one entity controlling things. For instance for a hypothetical European game to go ahead between an Italian and Spanish side, you'll need the agreement of the Italian FA, the Spanish FA, the Italian government, the Spanish government and maybe the EU. For La Liga to ahead, all you need is the Spanish FA and government to be on the same page.

newterp repped this.
  17. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Also the Cross contamination angle.

Arteta has contracted it from the Olympiakos owner.

Across the border, matches pose the highest risk especially when your up against the Italian & Spanish teams for now.

And I'm not saying all this so we remain Defending CL Champions for a second year running.Not at all.:p

YNWA.

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s good news that euro was moved.

19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euro 2020 has not YET been moved.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #20 Samarkand, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    I was going off the BBC website which said that it had been moved until 2021, but I can no longer find that report now.

The gist of the item was that as the playoffs had not started, not all the finalists had been named, and there have been requests for every playoff game to be either postponed or played behind closed doors. The thinking was that postponement of the playoffs looked very likely and therefore that compressed the timeline for preparations. friendlies, etc. But not only that, gathering players from 24 countries from all across Europe, and beyond in some cases, was also going to be an unnecessary danger; furthermore, the loopy format of having 12+ different venues across 12+ countries was also seen as sheer lunacy in light of travel restrictions.

My guess, (and now it's only that and not from the BBC :oops:), is that it will be moved to next summer, 2021; to have it proceed now would be the height of madness and against best practices. Then again, we must remind ourselves, it's UEFA.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and think that is has to be moved as well - given the logistical nightmare.

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    With a bit of objectivity, I think it's fair to say that while playing games behind closed doors is laudatory and advisable, it's only a stopgap measure and not a cure-all. Football is not meant to be played behind closed doors. Best postpone, put coronavirus behind us (assuming it's possible) and then return to football as it should be. No more games behind closed doors, postpone them.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'There is a determination to complete the season'

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

A reminder of the details our sport editor Dan Roan brought us earlier after the Premier League cancelled all matches until 3 April.

This action goes against the government’s highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world.

But, DCMS officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken given the need to protect employees, and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus.

The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds Utd, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory.

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

24. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Gonna be a tough call, it will be months rather than weeks before it’s behind us in the U.K. And with 29 games played it doesn’t seem logical to void the whole season. And relegation and European places are really up for grabs.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh wow, their over-sized, multi-country, convoluted qualifying tournament is coming back to bite them in the ass...