Premier League Suspended - Returns June 17, First Liverpool Game June 21

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ...and a TV Channel that everyone gets...

will NBC continue coverage in the USA?

owian repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    given the absence of - and huge hunger for - live sports, you'd think broadcasters would be tripping over themselves to air Prem games ....

CB-West repped this.
  3. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping it will be on regular NBC since there is nothing to compete with, but there are complications with affiliates and rules. At a minimum this would be on NBCSN right? They couldn't put it on gold, could they?

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

asitis repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope we don’t win the league because City drops points against Burnley before we get to play Palace.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :)

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Crowd noise for Goodison will be played on loud speakers.

oh, so a silent game then. :)

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When the Premier League returns on 17 June, television viewers will have the option to switch on artificial crowd noise during matches.

With games being played behind closed doors because of coronavirus, clubs, leagues and broadcasters are seeking the best way to showcase matches and mitigate the loss of spectators from stadiums.

In South Korea's K League, crowd sounds were played over stadium loudspeakers when its season started last month.

On Saturday UK viewers of BT Sport's Bundesliga coverage could hear artificial crowd noise as they watched matches featuring Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.
    Borussia Dortmund.

How it works is quite clever - an "audio carpet" for the basic noise is taken from the previous meeting and it is mixed with the real noise of the game. Reaction samples for scenarios such as penalties, fouls and decisions from VAR are created and "inserted" by a watching producer.

Sky Sports and BT Sport will both use the artificial crowd noise when the Premier League returns, with viewers also being given the option of switching it off.

Gary Lineker: "It’s actually bloody clever this crowd noise technology. Instant cheers at goals, louder for home goals etc.. very smart and an improvement. Rather like a soundtrack in a movie: not entirely necessary but adds to the watching experience. Hope the Premier League adopt it."

10. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Having watched the Bundesliga with and without added noise, I prefer without. My wife's response yesterday was "the empty stadium is in really good voice today."

asitis

usscouse repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There were no positive results for coronavirus from 1,195 tests in the latest round of Premier League testing.

The sixth round of twice-weekly screening of players and club staff took place on 4 and 5 June.

One person tested positive in the previous round, and 13 in total from 6,274 tests since they began.

12. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think at one point I was seriously looking into flying over to watch the Palace game, since I figured that might be the one...

Having had to cancel four international flights since then, I think I'll be happy to watch on the telly. What a year...

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well this is interesting. maybe this will start to erode the ridiculous influence player agents have......

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-online-dating-methods-in-the-transfer-market
    For a few frantic hours last Thursday, executives from 250 football clubs across five continents were immersed in the world of online speed dating. Every 10 minutes a fresh encounter would start. Small talk would be made. An understanding be reached. Perhaps even a deal struck. And then a button would be pressed and the whole process would start again. And all the business was conducted without an agent in sight.

In all, 13 Premier League clubs were involved, including Arsenal, Everton, and Brighton. “You get a 10-minute slot. That’s it. Then, bang, on to the next one,” explains Dan Ashworth, the Brighton technical director, who says he and his colleagues Paul Winstanley and David Weir wracked up 45 virtual meetings with other clubs in four hours.

The summit was the latest to be held under the auspices of the online player trading platform Transfer Room, which allows clubs to make transfer and loan deals online. The message to those clubs from Jonas Ankersen, its founder and chief executive, is seductive: they can take back control when it comes to transfers. The pitch seems to be working: more than 500 clubs are involved, paying a monthly subscription of £165 to £2,500 depending on whether they are League Two level or in the Champions League.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ry-caps-coronavirus-fifa-premier-league-tests

The Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, has admitted salary caps may be necessary to restructure football’s finances in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The suspension of games, the curtailment of leagues and the absence of paying spectators will affect the profitability of all but the biggest clubs and Infantino feels this could be a time for the game to step back and reflect. After inviting member associations to submit their views on possible ways forward Infantino says he was struck by the need for clearer and stricter financial regulations.

erm - wait - what was that .... "stricter financial regulations"???

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CB-West repped this.
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, it would be the booing and hissing.

16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO::eek::laugh::laugh::confused::(:mad:

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how "home field advantage" will play out when play starts again? It appears (without fans) it has basically been a total lack thereof in the Buli.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say Everton will definitely have an advantage with no groaning, hissing and booing from the home crowd.

19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game at Woodison.

I actually think it could be a huge plus for Everton to have no fans at their games - they seem to get nervous and tense when the crowd turns on them.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No neutral grounds. Good.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Manchester United’s friendly with Stoke City was called off on Tuesday after Michael O’Neill, the Championship club’s manager, tested positive for coronavirus.

A match at United’s Carrington training ground was cancelled shortly before kick-off, with the members of the visiting party sent home. No United players interacted or came into contact with O’Neill or other Stoke players and staff members, who were based in Carrington’s academy building.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a timely reminder ....

Michael O’Neill had tested negative in five previous rounds of COVID-19 checks before a positive result came from a test administered on Monday.

delaynomo repped this.
  23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s interesting. The virus is definitely still spreading. I wonder how he caught it, though?

24. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had (have, they still haven't refunded me) tickets to the Villa match. I've been spending the whole season figuring out how that could be the "one" and then...

25. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah man, sorry to hear that. Yeah, my wife is a virologist and by early-to-mid January she was freaking out about what news was coming out of China. Then when my March flight to Guangzhou got cancelled, I though... well so much for that.

Hope you get some respite. The one good thing is that the airline companies have at least been pretty good about refunding flights that were cancelled. My wife is German, and her parent's 50th wedding anniversary was this year. She's still holding onto the hope that we might still be able to fly over in August (we'd still have to quarantine there and stay away from her parents for 7-10 days to be safe), but it might be doable. We'll see, hopefully these recent upticks in infections in the US are simply a result of people being a bit stupid over Memorial Day weekend and doesn't turn into another sustained outbreak again. Expect another big wave of outbreaks in about a week to 10 days as people congregating and marching in the protests end up spreading the virus as well. Turns out yelling or singing loudly is one of the more effective ways of spreading the virus. At least most people were wearing masks...

I am really looking forward to some premier league football and some F1 racing again.

newterp repped this.