Premier League - Matchday 9 - Arsenal v Aston Villa - October 22, 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Kickoff: 3 PM Eastern, 8 PM UK
    Venue: Emirates Stadium, London
    US TV: NBCSN, Universo

"Well, at least without Europa League, we'll have Saturday matches more often." - me, an idiot, c. June 2021

Arsenal welcome Dean Smith's Aston Villa to the Emirates in a Friday night, mid-table clash. Villa come into this one emotionally damaged, having blown a 2-0 home lead to Wolves in the last 10 minutes of their weekend fixture, falling victim to Ruben Neves's deflected free kick winner in the 95th minute. They've also been dealing with a bit of an injury crisis, with four attacking players missing that Wolves clash due to injury (Bailey, Traore, Trezeguet, Davis), and it's unclear if any of them will be available for this one.

Arsenal, as we all well know, are sputtering along in the league. 12th place after 8 matches, 7 goals scored, -5 goal differential. And yet, somehow unbeaten in 6 in all competitions.

Mikel Arteta has never gotten a point from Aston Villa as a manager; Villa have won all 3 meetings between the sides under his watch - a pair of 1-0 home wins, and a 3-0 win at the Emirates last November. Arsenal's only win against Villa since their top-flight return was a 3-2 home win under Unai Emery, which featured an Ainsley Maitland-Niles first-half red card and a stunning second-half fightback capped by an Aubameyang free kick. I would kill to see that kind of fight in this team again.

COYG

ArsenalJake, NorthBank and GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That 7 goals in 8 matches stat is the most damning one, IMO. I know at least two pundits recently chimed in about Arsenal's woes and they leaned into the defense as the main culprit, but you're not gonna win a lot of games if you can't score. And if you can't score other teams know they can push numbers forward and pressure your defense. Doesn't matter if you have an All-world back 4 if you're not offering any threats up top.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 3, 0, 2

The optimist says it's improving, the pessimist says it's a fluke.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we lose this arteta has to go

we look like shit since spurs

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The Spurs game is a massive outlier. We were shit before Spurs, we have been shit since Spurs.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's one game, and you don't make decisions based on one game.

Arteta has to go, period.

thebigman repped this.
  7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    If anything, the "one game" has been the spurs game, the rest of the season has been a complete dumpster fire.

We feel like a shittier version of Chelsea under Frank. There is talent there, and a better manager would get this squad pushing top 6 comfortably but Arteta is poor. Im pretty sure that equaliser was our 1st second half goal for the season.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s fair. But sadly there is negative chance that our owners will sack Mikel and replace him with someone of Tuchel’s caliber.

9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    We don't even need a Tuchel to get an extra 25% out of this squad. I don't think people realise how out of his depth Arteta is right now.

Silva 5 repped this.
  10. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm chillin' right now so I'm not gonna look who said it, but one of you wise people previously stated that the only way to enjoy this season was to accept that Arsenal are a mid table side and to watch them compete accordingly. Sadly, that is a fairly accurate assessment and despite that reality, it did help me enjoy watching our "triumph" on Monday, salvaging a point on the last kick of the game.
    Something to keep in mind ....

Silva 5 and NorthBank repped this.
  11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re the youngest squad in the premier league.

I’m not saying Arteta isn’t a problem, but the idea that our talent level means we would be knocking on the door of the top four with a better manager is ridiculous. We have talent, but we are not equipped to compete at that level this year or probably next.

And as much as we’d like to see Arteta go, this fact and our obvious strategic decision to go down this path points to him getting more time.

To the idea that @ArsenalJake references above, the real hope for enjoying this team isn’t necessarily to look at the current reality and try to embrace the mid-table struggle. It’s to witness the development of a very young core and hope that it coalesces into something legitimately fun to watch and support, and maybe even something competitive.

But I have little expectation that will happen.

Silva 5, mebeSajid, yossarian and 2 others repped this.
  12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was fairly optimistic until it wasn't :ROFLMAO:

cooper7d7 and NorthBank repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m somewhat chill too and I think I’ve said since August that we’ll have Arteta until Nov/Dec at least. And unless he truly puts us in R zone in Feb/Mar then I’d guess he’s here til season’s end.

Like most(?) of you, I’d be pretty happy with a slow gradual climb up the table, with players and team playing closer to their potential. AND some kind if positive, energetic style that I can get behind!

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you bring a nuanced non-binary view in here! GTFO!

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with this, but my concern is that Arteta doesn't know how to coach an attack. Arteta's had quite a bit of time now at the helm, and there've only been a handful of games where I've enjoyed watching Arsenal play. Even the good results (the Spurs games, the 3-1 v Chelsea, the FA cup run), I've been happy with the results, but it just seems exhausting to watch Arsenal play.

Tonerl repped this.
  16. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wanted to believe Mikel turned the corner post-christmas, but it appears things have gone backwards this season.

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Tierney is out, Tavares starts at LB. Lokonga is back for a 4-2-3-1. And it's Lacazette central with Auba on the left with Pepe and Odegaard on the bench.

maskito and cooper7d7 repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised that Tierney is out injured... had no idea about that.
    Surprised that Saka is playing given the whack he took to his leg.
    Not surprised to see Laca up top, and Auba out left.
    Not surprised to see ESR playing at 10 and MO on the bench.

COYG!!!!

19. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handbags early!

Edit: Watkins yellow

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1' immediate Hullabaloo between Gabriel & Watkins. The latter going into the book. :)

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Ollie Watkins first minute yellow. That's a shame.

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    That from Auba seemed a bit...overly dramatic.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VERY bright start by our players in the first 5'. With some pretty high pressing. Just keep it up lads!!!

24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Auba is pretty central and ESR is out left, more of a 4-4-1-1?

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But aren't you happier to see that than the drab conservative alternative?