Premier League - Matchday 8 - Arsenal v Palace - October 18, 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Oct 13, 2021.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wonder if that's why he cannot get on arteta's teamsheet.

NorthBank and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  2. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hated the result but this description gave me a laugh. it made me think of us doing our press by movie fight rule where people run into attack one at a time. :-D

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    holy shit. i didn't even see this before i made my post. that's awesome. :-D

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is neither of them are elite.

Laca was signed to solve the problems of Alexis and Giroud, but it not as good as either of them. A B-list striker signed years too late for far too much money, and the entire investment will be lost in order to offboard his silly salary.

Auba was signed because Laca failed. Auba was elite, but now is old, on a poor team being paid far too much.

Now you can of course afford a mediocre 9 who links play and presses well, if you get goals from the front 5 as a unit. But that means Pepe, Saka and ESR are going to have to score a lot, and MO would need to chip in from midfield

Remember Ozil and Ramsey used to be worth 20 odd goals between them.

mebeSajid, Tonerl, Silva 5 and 2 others repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    ArsenalMetro and daedalus repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's an enhanced mook tier post!

daedalus repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Chelsea have it right

Sack early and often.

i.e. its never too early to sack a failing manager.

mebeSajid, Silva 5 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so sayeth, ollie of clan giroud. :D

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let's be real, the one thing mid to late-period Wenger teams were good for was demolishing average to bad teams at home. They would have buried this Palace team--and we know this because they practically played this team circa 2015--Ayew? Benteke? McArthur???

We turtled most of this match away when it was 1-0 up--and we know that Wenger, for better and for worse, would not have done so, given similar circumstances. So I don't think there's much credit to go around here to be honest.

mebeSajid, Tonerl and daedalus repped this.
  10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Yeah, this. Lacazette has shown that at his best, he can score 13-14 goals in the league, but now he's 30. With the lack of goals from midfield, Arteta needs 20+ goals from his striker. If last season was just an off year from Auba and he was poised to bounce back to his 2018-2020 form, it would be one thing, but he's 32.

I'm not a Laca fan, but I will admit he looked good yesterday. Can he bring the same energy and drive for 90 minutes instead of 30? Can he score the 20+ goals this club needs from a striker? Extremely unlikely to me.

Until they can sign a new striker, I'd like to see Pepe moved closer to the goal. When he plays on the right, with Tomi staying deep, it seems like Pepe ends up further from goal, whipping in crosses and trying to take on defenders. I don't know why he isn't on the left, with Tierney pushing up, allowing him to get into the box and try to score. Let Saka drop deeper in the right where he's had success.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. And I had a similar thought afterwards. But unfortunately that was balanced against more than a few concerns:

* We struggled this much... against Palace! What would've happened against one of the big boys?

* Why did we start well for 15-20 minutes and then go missing in the next 45 mins or so? Arteta's post-match remarks seemed to indicate that he didn't know why either... so there's lack of control by him and a disconnect with his players?

I'm sure I could come up with more concerns but let's just leave it at that for now.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too missed your comment at the time.
    TBF when Martinelli did that, I thought to myself "that's foolish". With a few mins of injury time left, and an equalizer still to find, OK maybe you'd back Salah to dribble through 2 tight markers, but Martinelli??

Sure, I respect his confidence to try that, and I'm generally a big fan of going forward rather than backward, and I was super relieved he didn't cough up the ball at that crucial late stage (IIRC). But still I can see how a manager might pull his hair out watching that.

13. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’know, I just realized that other than the fact he’s not from the Championship, this is a pretty accurate description of Granit Xhaka.

But perhaps if we can find a player of Xhaka’s “talents” who is British, most of those red cards turn to yellow.

daedalus repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paddy was basically that kind of player. And we were seconds away from losing to him as a manger yesterday. Just sayin.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It’s not like martinelli can do anything. He has no moves lol.

Odegaard. Something has to Change with him.

Tonerl and Super Llama repped this.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kinda sounds like Pepe, but he is a low iQ footballer.

daedalus and Silva 5 repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Arsenal have the moral high ground to live up too.

And someone said it earlier about “big club is still doing this…”

Arsenal is not a big club and doesn’t behave like one and hasn’t for over a decade.

daedalus repped this.
  18. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Odegaard has been real bad except for one game against Spurs. But to be fair to him, I watched him several times drop into the LB slot to receive backwards passes from Partey yesterday. Something tells me that wasn't on his own initiative...

DaPrince84 repped this.
  19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. He's been poor in the last two matches, but was good against Norwich and good against Burnley, including scoring that great free kick for the winner.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #145 casoccerdad47, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Predictability = Defendability. This is where Arteta gets it wrong. He tends to marginalize players that don’t adhere to his concept of team shape.

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dunno, agree to disagree. I think he still has way too little end product for how advanced a position he’s regularly playing. His xG+xA per 90 has fallen off a cliff this year so far—early days still but he’s offering less than a third of ESR’s output this year when they were roughly equivalent in that metric over the year last year. And neither of them were particularly great in that regard last year, around 40th percentile. So far the numbers don’t look great. Maybe there’d be a case to be made for our midfielders if we were possessing the ball well and just not creating chances/having shit finishing but we aren’t even possessing well. We’re thirteenth in the league in possession. I’m not seeing what Odegaard is contributing at the moment

DaPrince84, ArsenalMetro and Tonerl repped this.
  22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah. you *might* be able to get away with it if you have the kind of players that PSG and manchester city throws out there who can create individual brilliance out of nowhere on the regular. we don't have those players right now. i appreciate and like the desire for structure and i get that it helps shore up defense which was a big need for us. but you need to allow for some creativity.

i'd love something of a compromise between arteta who requires players to simulate foosball players and wenger who just throws his hands up and say he cannot control what players do.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He’s not a ten. You can’t play someone that high up who isn’t a goal threat.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the trouble with the whole composition. If the front 3 can manage 15 each, and the rotation chimes in for 10, and only 5 from midfield, you have only 60 goals - which is not really CL level

how do you get 60 yet alone 70 from this lot?

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is essentially the Kloppo approach

The midfield play more conservatively to manage the game, while the fullbacks are the extra attackers

In the title winning season, the front 3 had 46 goals - but look how everyone else chips in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Liverpool_F.C._season#Goals