Premier League - Matchday 6 - North London Derby - September 26, 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Sep 24, 2021.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 4-2-3-1 is more about the emergence of ESR and the acquisition of Odegaard than it is about Xhaka. We didn't settle into it last season until Boxing Day, which was, not coincidentally, ESR's first league appearance.

With our personnel, I think we're married to the 4-2-3-1 for a while, plus the occasional fling with a back 3.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went 4-3-3 against Burnley. I think there’s a decent chance we see at least as much of that (with Pepe) as a 4-2-3-1 (with Sambi) while Xhaka is out.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i really think one of odegaard/smith-rowe can play that 8.5 in a 4-3-3 (preferably odegaard) and try to mimic debruyne/silva. both might be a little lightweight (though i'd consider it if we had a kante or a gilberto silva at the base). i'd love to see odegaard/partey in that 8.5 and keeping smith-rowe out wide left.

i mean, the effect is going to be largely the same: smith-rowe is going to cut inside and open the flank for tierney's overlap. odegaard is going to shunt wide right to allow saka to shift in while tomiyasu stays deeper. but it would allow partey to maraud while still leaving lokonga to protect/provide extra body for the back 4 (or 3 when tierney bombs forward).

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I really like ESR in that Pires-type role as opposed to having him drop deeper. Let Odegaard play the latter role in matches that require it.

daedalus repped this.