Premier League - Matchday 6 - North London Derby - September 26, 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Sep 24, 2021.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Kickoff: 11:30 AM Eastern, 4:30 PM UK
    Venue: Emirates Stadium, London
    US TV: NBCSN

No build-up. I don't know them.

COYG

danielh, ArsenalJake, mebeSajid and 5 others repped this.
  2. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We must crush them. I'll be disappointed with anything less than 3 points.

On recent form we should win, but every NLD always has me anxious.

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    In the prematch press conference Arteta said this about Xhaka’s fitness:
    "He came back and he was flying (in training) because he really looks after himself,"

I guess Covid is like the Red Bull commercial, it gives you wings:rolleyes: If Arteta is not playing mind games with Tottenham and intends to start Xhaka, I have two issues with this statement. First and foremost, since Xhaka doesn’t fly around the field during games, there is no way that post covid he is flying around the training pitch. Having been idle for four weeks the odds that Xhaka is match fit after covid, even asymptomatic covid, are very, very low.

Second, if Xhaka starts it feels a little like Willian returning from Qatar or Kuwait, or wherever the hell he went and stepping right back into the starting lineup. Catching covid because he is unvaccinated has a greater impact on the team than Willian’s travels and if Xhaka doesn’t face consequences for his inaction in the face of the pandemic, it sets a bad example for any other team members that are currently unvaccinated.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The crowd should be behind the lads at the start, if for no other reason than hatred of their opponent. Hopefully this and their recent form buoys the side and pushes them onward, knowing it could really jumpstart the season.

The reality is that S***s are measuring stick for Arsenal's progress - One of the ones with whom the Gunners hope to be contending for top 6 positions. Arteta has to know this, so not only is a point needed but form will be crucial: Arsenal absolutely cannot look out of place against this level of competition or it begs all sorts of questions (once again) about the process. Citeh and Chelsea were tall orders but this is within the Gunner's weight class.

Time to come out swinging, but maintaining their poise.

5. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be wearing my Gunner best for this one on Sunday, I may not have access to the community room here at Bishop Park (it has been shut down indefinitely due to a major COVID outbreak in our building so no NFL Gameday due also to no rooftop antenna access in the complex), but at least I have Premier League Matchday on NBCSN (on Hulu) on Sunday so I won't be without the TV going on here, and since the match starts after our 10:00 pm-8:00 am noise curfew ends I will be loud and proud here at unit 111 (my headquarters), ready to take on SHIT!!!

COYF'n'G!!! #MindThatGap #TottenhamAreShit #ArsenalvTottenham

This Is North London.jpg

6. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking my dog out for a walk (I don't own one but WTF), oh, he has to do some "business" first.

Tottenham are Shit..jpg

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, hell. i completely forgot that he went and got himself covid'ed during international. i only remembered him being out for the red. jeebus.

8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure Arteta is too fussed about COVID, given he was the first person I knew to contract it when the pandemic first started.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been away but I've heard there's a lot of talk about Xhaka and the fitness & merit of him returning to our XI, yadayad...

But what about the rest of the team news? Any new injuries, absences, etc?

Mainly for us but also for them.

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No injuries or absences, everyone is available.

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arteta may not be fussed about covid, but he should be fussed about whether or not Xhaka is match fit. Gabriel had covid last season and it took him a while to regain his form. Given that example I’m not sure it makes sense to reintroduce Xhaka, from the start, in a big game.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    if i recall correctly, gabriel's covid bout came prior to vaccine which can lessen effects of infection. obviously, we don't know xhaka's vaccination status so it's hard to tell where that falls but but it's been a decently quick recovery which might mean he has been vaccinated.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ugh. i honestly don't get it. i'll skip all the other reasonings and concerns that has been thrown about ad nauseam but . . .

if you're a professional athlete in a sport where conditioning is important and it has been made clear how much of an effect covid can have on that, i can't understand how you can even gamble with that.

BIGHMW repped this.
  15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They’ll put steroids in their bodies, but not a vaccine that is saving lives. Xhaka isn’t the only athlete that’s vaccine adverse. The Warriors Andrew Wiggins is unvaccinated and since the City of San Francisco has mandated vaccinations for all attending large indoor events, unless he does get vaccinated he won’t be able to play in any of the Warriors home games.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    seriously. "that'll do what to my balls?!? well, alright. it'll help the team."

i mean, hell, players get injections and all that just to be available for the next game all the time knowing it'll likely aggravate the injury further. but that's okay. vaccine, though? hold on, i gotta do my research.

both wiggins and kyrie irving are facing that fun bit. that should be fun. also, according to article i read last night, if wiggins suddenly changes his mind and gets vaccinated now, it'll depend on which he goes with as far as whether he'll be available by opening night. the 2-shot variety would be no. if he goes J&J, he'd just about be if he does so within the next day or two.

17. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not be a top conditioned athlete, but, unlike Granit Xhaka, at least I AM FULLY VACCINATED, and have my COVID-19 card to prove it for all of you to see as I proudly post it up here on the BigSoccer Arsenal Forums for all of my fellow BS Gooners to see.

As a role model and a hero for many of my fans it is up to me to set the right example for them, why wouldn't Granit Xhaka want to take the time to set an example for those who look up to him that IDK, COGX (Come On Granit Xhaka)!!! Vax Up!!! I DID!!!

COVID Card.jpg

daedalus repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally speaking, avoiding the vaccine is stupid and selfish. Not much else to say.

Generally speaking, we should be able to beat Spuds this morning. Following my NYRB’s example in their against-the-odds derby win tonight.

But to do this, Arteta is going to need to bring his (our) “A” game.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morning lads. 100 years of the NLD this year.

On NBC’s PL Mornings show today they showed a really nice little piece on the history of NLD. Maybe made by Sky?… it was a cut above NBC’s usual productions. Worth checking out if you can.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As expected, St. Granit walks right back into the XI.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 NorthBank, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Yeah, he sure is the teacher's pet. Oh well, just pray he doesn't disappoint... whether it be his sideway-passing, or those mistake-prone, rash, hot-head sides of him we all know so well.

In any case...

COYG!!!!

23. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    What is the official start date of the NLD? First time they played? First time they played after Arsenal moved to North London?

24. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets a dumb yellow within the first 30 minutes, halftime sub.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Xhaka will get sent off

worthless player, arteta is a clown for putting the Cnut back in

lokonga is already better

CarlosKaiser repped this.