Premier League / First Division ratings

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 16, 2016.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I open this thread because there wasn't one yet, and because DBScalcio has some flaws to put it mildly. It is also interesting to see where publications might differ in opinion, or where there is a justified (or even strange?) type of consensus.

Some years are oddly even more sparse than usual, including the 1998-99 treble season by Manchester United, as far as I've seen.

For maintaining an overview and easy searching I kindly ask to use "1998 1999" or "1999 2000" as format.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1998 1999 season

The only one I'm aware of (and have in print too, next to additional details like 'fouls' and 'chances') is the so called 'OPTA Index'

It comes in these categories.

Goalkeeper:

1 Shaka Hislop West Ham 990
    2 Nigel Martyn Leeds 902
    3 Neil Sullivan Wimbledon 896
    4 Pavel Srnicek Sheff Wed 797
    5 Mark Schwarzer Middlesbro 784
    6 David Seaman Arsenal 763
    7 Kasey Keller Leicester 700
    8 Ed de Goey Chelsea 699
    9 Thomas Myhre Everton 669
    10 Paul Jones Southampton 639

Defenders:

1 Sol Campbell Tottenham 1103
    2 Frank Leboeuf Chelsea 1102
    3 Jaap Stam Man Utd 1079
    4 Tony Adams Arsenal 1063
    5 Lucas Radebe Leeds 1033
    6 Nikos Dabizas Newcastle 1031
    7 Paul Williams Coventry 1001
    8 Nigel Winterburn Arsenal 983
    9 Matt Elliott Leicester 969
    10 Emerson Thome Sheff Wed 961

Midfielders:

1 Dietmar Hamann Newcastle 1119
    2 Gustavo Poyet Chelsea 1103
    3 Emmanuel Petit Arsenal 1084
    4 Patrik Berger Liverpool 1061
    5 Roy Keane Man Utd 1035
    6 Patrick Vieira Arsenal 1029
    7 Mark Kinsella Charlton 1023
    8 Paul Ince Liverpool 1018
    9 Jamie Redknapp Liverpool 1001
    10 David Ginola Tottenham 994

Attackers:

1 Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal 1079
    2 Dwight Yorke Man Utd 1017
    3 Gianfranco Zola Chelsea 1013
    4 Michael Owen Liverpool 1002
    5 Andy Cole Man Utd 978
    6 Nicolas Anelka Arsenal 964
    7 Duncan Ferguson Newcastle 948
    8 Robbie Fowler Liverpool 939
    9 Tore Andre Flo Chelsea 910
    10 Jimmy Hasselb'nk Leeds 902

2003 2004 season

Again a scarcity although there's a bit more in terms of reflections. The best and most systematic one is from 'The Independent' it seems. Help is again appreciated.

'The Independent'

The only criterion for inclusion in the Index is that players must have appeared (for at least 15 minutes) in at least a third of their team's matches. The marks are based on these criteria:

1 Awful: The sort of performance you are likely to see only once or twice in a season.

2 Seriously below par. On average you might see one of these performances every other match.

3 Poor. Most matches will probably feature two or three performances of this standard.

4 Sub-standard: A player performing a little below an acceptable level.

5 Average: Every player starts a match with five marks, which represents a "level-par" performance.

6 A moderately good performance.

7 Good. A performance well above standard.

8 Very good. Most teams would be expected to have at least one player performing at this level in every match.

9 Excellent: On average you might see one of these performances every other match.

10 Outstanding: The sort of performance you are likely to see only once or twice in a season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With one match to go they had this:

LEADING GOALKEEPERS

1 D Kiely (Charlton Athletic) 6.5

2 A Niemi (Southampton) 6.4

3 E van der Sar (Fulham) 6.1

4= S Hislop (Portsmouth) 6.0

4= S Given (Newcastle United) 6.0

4= T Sorensen (Aston Villa) 6.0

7= N Martyn (Everton) 5.9

7= M Oakes (Wolves) 5.9

7= C Cudicini (Chelsea) 5.9

7= K Keller (Tottenham Hotspur) 5.9

LEADING DEFENDERS

1 J Woodgate (Newcastle United) 6.9

2= C Cooper (Middlesbrough) 6.3

3 S Campbell (Arsenal) 6.2

4= J Terry (Chelsea) 6.1

4= G Southgate (Middlesbrough) 6.1

4= U Ehiogu (Middlesbrough) 6.1

4= D Dublin (Aston Villa) 6.1

4= O Mellberg (Aston Villa) 6.1

9= K Cunningham (Birmingham City) 6.0

9= R Ferdinand (Manchester United) 6.0

11= K Toure (Arsenal) 5.9

11= A De Zeeuw (Portsmouth) 5.9

11= M Upson (Birmingham City) 5.9

LEADING MIDFIELDERS

1 S Gerrard (Liverpool) 6.8

2= R Keane (Manchester United) 6.5

2= S Parker (Chelsea) 6.5

4= P Vieira (Arsenal) 6.4

4= P Scholes (Manchester United) 6.4

4= G Mendieta (Middlesbrough) 6.4

4= R Pires (Arsenal) 6.4

4= Y Djorkaeff (Bolton Wanderers) 6.4

4= S Wright-Phillips (Man City) 6.4

4= M Izzet (Leicester City) 6.4

4= F Lampard (Chelsea) 6.4

LEADING FORWARDS

1 T Henry (Arsenal) 7.0

2= L Saha (Manchester United) 6.2

2= A Shearer (Newcastle United) 6.2

4= D Bergkamp (Arsenal) 6.1

4= A Smith (Leeds United) 6.1

4= M Forssell (Birmingham City) 6.1

7 T Sheringham (Portsmouth) 6.0

8= A Yakubu (Portsmouth) 5.9

8= A Mutu (Chelsea) 5.9

8= J Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur) 5.9

11 R Keane (Tottenham Hotspur) 5.8

I cannot see on their website (public archive) or in the archives the ratings after the very last match, but it is unlikely that it changed an enormous amount.

Especially Thierry Henry his position, going by these brief 2 minutes highlights of the final game.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting to see Puck.

Do we know for sure if the Independent was one of DBS Calcio's sources for 03/04 (or just that it is presently)? It's helpful to see the descriptions to get a 'feel' for how they rated performances and it looks like they'd have quite a lot of variance (being prepared to go towards both ends of the scale reasonably frequently) and the top 10's seem to suggest that's what they did too, with players scoring below 6 included - although maybe like for Euro 96 it can be that PL season 03/04 had a bit of a scarcity of fantastically performing strikers/forwards (Kolo Toure also below 6 does seem to say to me that it wasn't 'easy' to score above it though, although it can be other sources score him higher relative to Woodgate or something too). The Independent's classification for 5 and 6 is a bit different to the English sources I grew up with - Shoot and Match, the weekly football magazines, who called 6 average and 5 below par. Perhaps the Independent is more in line with a typical Italian system in that respect (but without awarding half marks), although still going for the higher marks more often so having less of a standard required to achieve them and that seems to tally with DBS Calcio's results so perhaps the Daily Express and Sky or whatever other sources scored things in a similar way to the Independent or slightly more generously in the middle range and even lower range (it could even be they'd use 6 as average as Shoot and Match did although that'd mean DBS Calcio's sources were working to slightly different definitons but that could even be the case for Italian sources too of course).

Obviously OPTA and 'eye witness' ratings differ in approach and scope, but I wonder whether (particularly OPTA) both make it hard for goalkeepers of top teams to score brilliant average ratings to an extent - the alternative being clean sheets getting over-valued when the goalkeeper has very little to do (we saw for WC94 La Repubblica declined to rate Taffarel and Illgner in some games due to I'm guessing exactly that reason). Aside from his penalty save in the FA Cup semi-final maybe Schmeichel didn't stand out as much as in some years anyway though in 98/99, and I'd tend to think Seaman's true peak had gone too.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    2007 2008

The Observer:

BEST OF THE PREMIERSHIP 07-08: THE FANS' VERDICT: TEAM OF THE SEASON

David James

Portsmouth

Cristiano Ronaldo

Man United

Cesc Fabregas

Arsenal

Michael Essien

Chelsea

Martin Petrov

Man City

Emmanuel Adebayor

Arsenal

Fernando Torres

Liverpool

Phil Jagielka

Everton

Rio Ferdinand

Man Utd

Nemanja Vidic

Man Utd

Joleon Lescott

Everton

SUBSTITUTES

Petr Cech (Chelsea); Patrice Evra (Man Utd); Steven Gerrard (Liverpool);

Alexander Hleb (Arsenal); Dimitar Berbatov (Spurs)

PAUL WILSON's BEST XI

Selecting the strongest team of the season would simply be a matter of merging Chelsea and Manchester United, with the occasional nod in the direction of Arsenal and Liverpool. Such an exercise would be as dull and predictable as suggesting the top four will remain the same next season, however, so in the interest of fairness and notional equality I've restricted qualification to one player per club. The following team may not be the best available from Premier League resources, although each player has enjoyed an exceptional season.

GK David James Portsmouth

RB Pascal Chimbonda Spurs

CB John Terry Chelsea

CB Paul Scharner Wigan

LB Joleon Lescott Everton

RM Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn

CM Mathieu Flamini Arsenal

CM Gareth Barry Aston Villa

LM Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd

CF Kenwyne Jones Sunderland

CF Fernando Torres Liverpool

The Times their calculation/points system:

Rank Player Team Points

1 Cristiano Ronaldo Man United 16.1

2 David James Portsmouth 14.5

3 Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal 14.1

4 Francesc Fabregas Arsenal 13.5

5 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 12.8

6 Edwin van der Sar Man United 11.0

7 Petr Cech Chelsea 10.8

8 Frank Lampard Chelsea 9.2

9 Robbie Keane Tottenham 8.2

10 Carlos Tevez Man United 7.9

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Are there seasons you especially like to see?

Next one I'll investigate is 1993 1994

Also thanks to @comme for showing me a few more places to look.

comme repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not especially, thanks, but I guess 94/95, 97/98, 00/01, 01/02 could all be ones I'd definitely look at (but to be honest I'm likely to look at all of them anyway!).

93/94 would certainly be interesting as it's outside the coverage of DBS Calcio anyway so good idea!

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #7 PuckVanHeel, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    I struggle to find something for 93/94 - except for a few top earners lists at the end of 1994. It was claimed that Cantona and John Barnes were the top earners, with Sutton and Shearer following them. Klinsmann was at that level too or just behind with a few other names. Cantona had a 500k deal with Nike, which was about the half or 75% of what Maradona received in his pomp (as we know, these figures really skyrocketed in the following years; a major exception is Beckenbauer who had a 2m a year deal back in late 1960s).

I'll look at 97/98 next (and put in the format as laid down in the OP).

edit: Andy Cole (Manchester United) topped them all - Cantona, Barnes - a month later because of his wages.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1997 1998 season

'News of the World' gave a weighing to the OPTA data they had at hand:

KEY - Goalkeepers: CS: clean sheets (5 points). PS: penalties saved (5). S: saves (1). E:errors leading to a goal (-3). GC: goals conceded (-3). Outfield: G: goals (10). AO: attempts on target (2). AF: attempts off target (1). A: assists (5). OP: passes in opposition half (1). KP: key passes (2). T: tackles (1): I: interceptions (1). OG: own goals conceded (-10). PC: penalties conceded (-5).

For the forwards (league topscorer had just as in 1998 1999 merely 18 goals) it resulted in this:

Sutton (Blackburn) 1266
    Dublin (Coventry) 1245
    Di Canio (Sheff Wed) 1176
    Yorke (A Villa) 1125
    Sheringham (Man U) 1098
    Baiano (Derby) 1069
    Scholes (Man U) 1048
    Bergkamp (Arsenal) 1047
    Owen (Liverpool) 1014
    Ferguson (Everton) 972

(Good to mention: Di Canio and Bergkamp had the most key passes with 29, which was likely a more narrow definition back then as today, followed by Owen with 25, Dublin 12, Baiano 11)

Corrected for minutes played it would look something like this:

Sheringham (Man U) 0.436 [1098/2518]
    Scholes (Man U) 0.429 [1048/2442]
    Bergkamp (Arsenal) 0.428 [1047/2449]
    Yorke (A Villa) 0.425 [1125/2644]
    Sutton (Blackburn) 0.408 [1266/3101]
    Baiano (Derby) 0.405 [1069/2637]
    Ferguson (Everton) 0.398 [972/2442]
    Di Canio (Sheff Wed) 0.396 [1176/2967]
    Dublin (Coventry) 0.390 [1245/3192]
    Owen (Liverpool) 0.337 [1014/3006]

Joint topscorer Michael Owen (and 10 assists, 25 'key passes' on top) ranks at the bottom.

I'll do this for the midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers too, but I'm not sure whether 'News of the World' designed a decent system for this (unlike Opta's their own 'Opta Index' for 1998-99, which looks a lot more decent and well thought - they took into account 92 different variables for their index).

Just posted it anyway...

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good work Puck.

Just to mention (hopefully it won't be too annoying or cause too much extra work and adjustment, as like when Gregoriak was showing World Cup stats by position and I might have a suggested change of category) Paul Scholes should be considered a midfielder for 97/98.

I guess it's possible OPTA or NOTW considered him a forward at the start of the season and continued to show his data and calculated scores as such though (like in fantasy league C.Ronaldo was listed as midfielder for 07/08 I think probably). But he played in a 4-4-2 or arguably 4-1-3-2 as a midfielder for most of his appearances I think anyway (like he would the following season after being an AM in the WC too) with Sheringham, Cole and Solskjaer playing up front.

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1997 1998 season

Here are the other positions, uncorrected for minutes played (for ex. http://www.bdfutbol.com/es/j/j93783.html ) Example: Vieira played 2723 minutes, McManaman 3193 minutes

Goalkeepers:

Schmeichel (Man Utd) 126
    Sullivan (Wimbledon) 99
    Poom (Derby) 76
    James (Liverpool) 72
    Keller (Leicester) 66
    Martyn (Leeds) 64
    De Goey (Chelsea) 61
    Seaman (Arsenal) 57
    Forrest (West Ham) 52
    Hedman (Coventry) 46

Midfielders:

McManaman (Livpl) 1705
    Beckham (Man Utd) 1535
    Batty (Newcastle) 1495
    Redfearn (Barnsley) 1416
    Ince (Liverpool) 1326
    Lennon (Leicester) 1292
    Ginola (Tottenham) 1272
    Vieira (Arsenal) 1244
    Speed (Newcastle) 1235
    Sherwood (Blkburn) 1113

Defenders:

Leboeuf (Chelsea) 1270
    Elliott (Leicester) 1243
    Wright (A Villa) 1162
    Winterburn (Arsenal) 1117
    Kenna (Blackburn) 1090
    G Neville (Man Utd) 1060
    Unsworth (W Ham) 1039
    Dodd (Soton) 1022
    Nilsson (Coventry) 961
    Cunningham (Wimbdn) 960

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Here is something for 1994 1995

The 1995 World Soccer vote
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL4ev1QI1K6T012ZG5YS3NHV2c/view

They don't show the players beyond the top 10, but according to an article Shearer was the highest ranked British player at 19th.

The Independent had at the end of the year their top 20 players of 1995 (27 December 1995). It's also publicly available.

--------------------

ALAN SHEARER

The modern Roy of the Rovers. Brave, honest, hard-working family man. A fine leader of the line and a deadly goalscorer. Except Al of the Rovers is suffering an international goal drought the like of which never afflicted Roy. Failed to score once for England in 1995 and only managed a penalty in six European ties. However, still regarded as the best centre-forward in England, and not just by Terry Venables.

All this and not a whiff of scandal - the sort of boy, as Kenny Dalglish once said, you would be proud to call 'son'.

LES FERDINAND

The black-and-white No.9 jersey is a big one to fill but it fits Ferdy like a glove. His goals have taken Newcastle top and banished the memory of Andy Cole. Off the field he remains level-headed, despite suffering a kiss-and-tell in the tabloids (even then he was given a glowing reference). Last season's contribution at QPR not to be overlooked.

ROBERT LEE

About once a year Kevin Keegan buys a player for Lee's original position, right wing, and, taking the hint, Lee has moved inside and become the dominant midfield player in the Premiership. Just one worry about the nickname the Newcastle manager has bestowed on a player who scores almost as many goals as he makes: General Lee ended up on the losing side.

NICK BARMBY

His judgement may have been questioned when he left Tottenham for Middlesbrough, but Barmby's ability is not in doubt. A sharp finisher who brings out the best in those around him, he has been a key figure at booming Boro and has quickly adapted to the international stage

ROBBIE FOWLER

For all Neil Ruddock's services for Liverpool the most important might prove to be the haymaker with which he blackened Fowler's eye and redirected the young striker on the straight and narrow. Has been compared to Jimmy Greaves, who also knew what it was like to be left out on occasions. His left foot is destined for a position of pride in the Anfield Museum.

JURGEN KLINSMANN

Left Tottenham chairman Alan Sugar with a cloth to wash his car and the club's supporters with a bucketload of memories when he left for Bayern Munich in the summer. Germany's World Cup-winning striker lit up the Premiership with his goals, his grace and his gift of the gab.

STEVE STONE

Overnight success at international level but a slow-burning one at his club. After three broken legs the unassuming Geordie would appear old beyond his years (24) even if he had hair. Deserves his selection for a good year's work with Forest

TEDDY SHERINGHAM

Blossoming like the ugly duckling. Once the fans' least favourite England striker (too slow, can't score, Venables' pet), he is now finally receiving recognition for his intelligent linking play. Learned from Klinsmann but playing even better out of the German's shadow. Beginning to score for England as well as Spurs.

TONY YEBOAH

At one time the only dilemma facing Yeboah was whether his strikes would be included in the goal of the season or the decade. Since revealing a liking for Yorkshire Pudding (the edible sort, not Brian Deane) however, his rate has declined to mortal proportions and Leeds fans await the time his diet returns to ambrosia. The lull, you suspect, before another storm of goals.

DENNIS BERGKAMP

Even during an early goalless spell, which provoked myopic tabloid scorn, he looked too classy to fail in the Premiership. He is already Arsenal's key player: lethally lurking just behind Ian Wright, where his ability to bring colleagues into the game is often reminiscent of Kenny Dalglish. The question for '96 is: can Bruce Rioch rebuild well enough for his side to be similiarly successful?

PETER BEARDSLEY

There are just two things wrong with Beardsley: he is 34, not 24, and his team-mates are sick of Kevin Keegan describing his goals as the best he has ever scored. Still Newcastle's most important player, he runs for ever unpicks defences with the craft of Fagin. Every aspiring England playmaker ought to be made to study him.

JAMIE REDKNAPP

Hard to believe he is so young (22) given his composure but he has been around a long time. Neat passer and a resounding striker of the ball. Has fitted into the England team like a veteran. No coincidence that Liverpool slumped during his injury. Unfairly talented and good-looking.

RYAN GIGGS

Suffered a disaster at the start of 1995 but his hair has grown since and now bears some resemblance to the posters on the walls of a thousand schoolgirl bedrooms. His form has returned with his locks and his dribbles now have the virtue of maturity as well as divine talent. The biggest single reason to believe Manchester United might win the Championship this year.

ERIC CANTONA

Risking losing the tag of the Premiership's most controversial Frenchman to David Ginola, Cantona's cunning plan has been to become almost saintly. Still brilliant, he has refrained from kicking opponents or supporters and now looks more likely to kung-fu Lee Sharpe or Andy Cole. At the moment few Manchester United fans would blame him.

TONY ADAMS

Has fully outlasted his detractors and is, by some way, the best defender in the League. Strong, determined and surprisingly quick, and his brilliant reading of the game means he is embarrassed far less often than his lumbering image would suggest. His performances in Arsenal's recent European forays bode well for Euro '96.

MATTHEW LE TISSIER

It is increasingly hard to recall the fuss when England dropped him last spring. Then he was touted as the man to save England as well as Southampton. Form has since deserted him but he just earns inclusion for a stunning first half of the year. In a changing game his loyalty should be appreciated, even if his career needs a move.

MARK DRAPER

If Steve Stone struck a blow for the tonsorially challenged in 1995, Draper could do the same next year. Villa's resurgence has helped him realise the potential he showed in a struggling Leicester side. A busy midfielder with vision and flair, he could be Gascoigne's natural successor in the England team

COLIN HENDRY

Strong, courageous and commanding, the classic British stopper. At times this season it has seemed like a blond mane against the rest in Rovers' defence. One of the few players to maintain a semblance of his championship form - and, in this case, that meant a lot to live up to. Has also impressed with Scotland.

19 PETER SCHMEICHEL

The biggest, the most agile....and that is just his voice. The highest profile Dane since Hamlet, his own defenders are scared witless by the foghorn behind them, while opposing Premiership players became so intimidated at Old Trafford last season that only Southampton's Simon Charlton beat him. The keeper least likely to say: "Sorry lads, my mistake."

20 RUUD GULLIT

Glenn Hoddle pulled off one of the transfer coups of the decade when he signed Gullit from Sampdoria. A shortage of appearances sent him down our list, but he has already stamped his class on the Premiership. When did the great Dutchman last find himself five places beneath Tony Adams in a list of leading players?

--------------------------------------

Also from 'The Independent';

-----------------------------

The Tottenham striker Jurgen Klinsmann is the Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year after a record poll. "It's a great honour," said Klinsmann, who will pick up the award at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London on 18 May. Klinsmann, who could be leaving Spurs for Bayern Munich in the summer, is only the third overseas player to win the award. He follows fellow countryman Bert Trautmann in 1956 and Dutch star Frans Thijssen in 1981. He is the sixth Spurs player to take the trophy, the others being Danny Blanchflower (twice), Pat Jennings, Gary Lineker, Steve Perryman and Clive Allen. The Blackburn forward Alan Shearer - last year's winner - came second, while his team-mate Colin Hendry was third. Klinsmann and Shearer picked up 76 per cent of the votes. Earlier, Klinsmann declared his intention to discuss his future with the Spurs at the end of the season, amid continuing speculation that he is set to return to his homeland to play for Bayern Munich.

-----------------------------------

1994/95 VERDICT

Best match: Tottenham's 2-1 win over Liverpool in the FA Cup quarter- final.

Most thrilling match: Arsenal's extra-time and penalties win over Sampdoria in the European Cup-Winners' Cup semi-final.

Player of the Year: Colin Hendry (Blackburn)

Managers of the Year: Frank Clark (Nottingham Forest) and Joe Royle (Everton).

Chairman of the Year: Michael Knighton (Carlisle).

TEAM OF THE YEAR (4-4-2): Flowers (Blackburn); Berg (Blackburn), Watson (Everton), Hendry (Blackburn), Irwin (Manchester United); McManaman (Liverpool), Beardsley (Newcastle), Howells (Tottenham), Le Tissier (Southampton); Shearer (Blackburn), Klinsmann (Tottenham). Substitutes: Schmeichel (Manchester United), Le Saux (Blackburn), Pallister (Manchester United), Collymore (Nottingham Forest), McAllister (Leeds).

---------------------------------------

Alan Shearer, the Blackburn Rovers striker, was voted player of the year by the PFA last night, ahead of Southampton's Matthew Le Tissier and Tottenham's Jurgen Klinsmann. Robbie Fowler, of Liverpool, is the young player of the year.

-----------------------------------------

wm442433, comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good work.

Not sure to what extent it was put in that other thread where we discussed PFA Players of the Year, but in the 2002 PFA Awards this was the order for Player of the Year I notice (of course in the PFA XI Giggs was in and Beckham not, based on more votes for being in the XI as opposed to less votes for Player of the Year):
    Winner: Van Nistelrooy
    Second: Henry
    Third: Pires
    Also nominated: Beckham, Hasselbaink, Roy Keane.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    If you don't mind I ask you to use '2001 2002'. This makes searching and finding back easier.

1995 1996

-------------------------

Les Ferdinand was last night voted Player of the Year by his fellow professionals despite his team's strained fortunes in the run-in to the Premiership title.

The Newcastle United striker was presented with his Professional Footballers' Association award at a special gala dinner in London after scoring 26 goals in 36 games for the Magpies this season. He topped the poll ahead of last year's winner, Alan Shearer, of Blackburn Rovers, who has netted 34 in 44 games, including five hat-tricks. Third place went to another Newcastle player, the French winger David Ginola, the only overseas player to appear in the nominated top six. His compatriot, Eric Cantona, is still the only foreigner to win the title [as opposed to the FWA award, PvH].

Liverpool's 31-goal Robbie Fowler failed to repeat Andy Gray's 1977 feat of winning the junior and senior awards, but he was voted Young Player of the Year for the second successive occasion, matching Ryan Giggs, the Manchester United winger.

PFA DIVISIONAL TEAMS

CARLING PREMIERSHIP: James (Liverpool); G Neville (Manchester Utd), Adams (Arsenal), Ehiogu (Aston Villa), Wright (Aston Villa), Ginola (Newcastle), Lee (Newcastle), Stone (Nottingham Forest), Gullit (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Newcastle Utd), Shearer (Blackburn Rovers).
    --------------------------

Dutch maestro Gullit has been a huge success at Chelsea, guiding them to the FA Cup quarter-finals and making them a team to be feared.

But he is not among the six nominations for the PFA honour.

They are Alan Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Peter Beardsley, Steve Stone, Robbie Fowler and David Ginola.

Ferdinand has polled plenty of votes and the winner will be presented with the award by Pele at the Grosvenor House hotel in London a week tonight.

---------------------------------------------------

Eric Cantona was celebrating the first leg of a possible dream treble last night after being named Football Writers' Footballer of the Year, writes Steve Bates.

The Manchester United star - chasing a second League and FA Cup double with United - confirmed his rehabilitation from soccer bad boy by winning the prestigious award ahead of Chelsea's star import Ruud Gullit and Liverpool's young sensation Robbie Fowler.

-----------------------------------------------------

Highlighted and recommended letter - interesting letter showing the room for perception - in the Sunday Times:

JOE LOVEJOY should understand that, in sport, it is not so much how well you play the game but how you play the game that matters (Sport, last week). That Eric Cantona is an exceptional player is beyond dispute: indeed, his achievements are second only to Ruud Gullit among the players in our leagues. But when it comes to how they play the game there is only one winner and with depressing certainty, the gentlemen of the Football Writers Association chose the wrong man. Comparisons between the league positions of Manchester United and Chelsea are opportunist and irrelevant.

Of course, Gullit does not help his cause. He comes over here, spraying 60 yard passes around and generally elicits a standard of football from Chelsea that many, including Lovejoy I suspect, thought improbable. He gives interviews to the press in better English than many of his interrogators and uses neither football-speak nor references to seagulls or fishing boats. And as if this were not enough here we are in May and he has still to kick his first spectator.

Lovejoy reminds us that life often mirrors art. Not for the first time, he is 180 degrees wrong. In Cantona's case art too often mirrors (modern) life. In these days of declining standards, on and off the football field, maybe the journalists made the right choice after all.

---------------------------------------------------------

Daily Mirror (25 May 1996)

GIANLUCA VIALLI becomes the latest of Europe's Foreign Legion to grace English football.

Here is Mirror Sports's guide to the top 10 foreign players who have become the jewels in our footballing crown.

ERIC CANTONA (Man. U & France) HOW French boss Aime Jacquet can leave Cantona out of his squad remains a mystery. Age 30. Rating: 10 out of 10.

RUUD GULLIT (Chelsea & Holland) A GREAT tutor to the next generation of Stamford Bridge kids. Age 33. Rating: 9.

PETER SCHMEICHEL (Man. U & Denmark) NOT only Fergie's faithful followers reckon the Great Dane's the best keeper in the world. Age 32. Rating: 8.

DENNIS BERGKAMP (Arsenal & Holland) THE man who makes Holland tick, expect him to shine in the European Championship. Age 27. Rating: 8.

BRIAN LAUDRUP (Rangers & Denmark) JUST after being crowned Scottish Footballer of the Year, Laudrup laid on a one-man cabaret in the Scottish Cup final demolition of Hearts. Age 27. Rating: 8.

PHILIPPE ALBERT (Newcastle & Belgium) LIVING proof that the days of the donkey at the back are long gone. Age 28. Rating: 7.

GEORGHE KINKLADZE (Man. C. & Georgia) PROBABLY the most skilful midfielder in England, the ex-Dinamo Tbilisi star lifted the gloom around Maine Road. Age 22. Rating: 7.

ANDREI KANCHELSKIS (Everton & Russia) THE flying Ukrainian's lightning raids will test the Germans and Italians this summer. Age 27. Rating: 7.

TONY YEBOAH (Leeds & Ghana) AFTER settling in at Elland Road, Yeboah came out with all guns blazing this season. Age 29. Rating: 7.

DAVID GINOLA (Newc'le & France) LIKE Cantona, he can consider himself unlucky to be dumped by the French squad. Age 29. Rating: 7.

-----------------------------------------------

The Independent Top 20 players (30 December 1996 - link here)

ALAN SHEARER

The winner last year, in '96 he was even better. It says much for the esteem in which he is held that, unlike many of his predecessors, the world's most expensive player is rarely berated as overpriced. At 26, the complete centre forward: strong, skilful and lethal, Shearer surely now ranks among the best Britain has ever produced. He was able to rise above the general mediocrity at Blackburn in the first half of the year, and is having to do much the same at Newcastle. Close to repeating his Premiership pre-eminence at international level, following a brilliant Euro 96.

ERIC CANTONA

A melancholy autumn should not detract from the inspirational contribution the Footballer of the Year made to Manchester United's Double. Fully acclimitised to English football, there was nothing opposing defenders could do to distract him, even on the temperatmental side. If he rekindles that extraordinary form in the second half of this season, United will surely retain the Premiership.

STEVE McMANAMAN

A breathrough year for the Bootle 24-year-old, who has gone from being one of Liverpool's many good footballers, to the man who plays rhythm in the Mersey beat. The best dribbler in the league (and at Euro 96) his ability to drift behind the front runners, carving out opportunities for himself and others, may give the Anfield side a title-winning edge - though he can expect more man-markers after Sheffield Wednesday's recent success in shackling him. Now needs to work on his finishing.

ROBBIE FOWLER

Still only 21, he beat Ian Rush to 100 goals, and is capable of eclipsing the Welshman's legend. Has a telepathic understanding with McManaman already, and there are signs that he is belatedly beginning to develop some sort of striking relationship with Collymore. After an injury-plagued opening to the season, Fowler is now finding the net with daunting regularity. Lacks Shearer's all-round qualities but is his equal as a finisher.

DAVID BECKHAM

The player to have made the most progress in '96. Twelve months ago he was not sure of his place in Manchester United's first team. Now he is their creative lynchpin. At 21 he already looks destined to replace Gazza as England's most gifted midfield player - in some eyes he has already done so. A rare combination of technique and tenacity make him confident enough to attempt the outrageous - as Wimbledon discovered to their cost.

PETER SCHMEICHEL

It would be interesting to know how many Christmas cards he received from his defenders. One of the defining images of Manchester United's current success is Schmeichel screaming at them after an opposing striker has been given enough space to shoot well wide. A constant, if irritating, reminder of his perfectionism and competitiveness. Despite several high- profile howlers in 1996, Schmeichel's match-savers have been more important, and he remains marginally ahead of Seaman, partly because of his superior distribution.

DAVID SEAMAN

Showed for England what Arsenal fans have long known: that Seaman is worth a goal a game. Less athletic than Schmeichel, he remains a massive penalty area presence, as adept in the air as at shot-stopping. Like many before him, is playing his best football in his mid-thirties. A prolonged absence with his rib injury will seriously dent Arsenal's title challenge.

DAVID BATTY

If Asprilla was the signing that cost Newcastle the championship, Batty is the one who did the most to maintain their challenge. Twelve months after felling Graeme Le Saux, his combativeness is now celebrated for rather more positive reasons, and there are even indications that it can be transferred successfully to the international arena. Has quickly established himself as Newcastle's most consistent midfielder, though that may not be much of an accolade...

PETER BEARDSLEY

The Peter Pan of English football. Will be 36 next month, but has lost none of his capacity to bamboozle defenders or conjure vital goals. Has sometimes appeared uncertain of his role in Kevin Keegan's constant reshapings, but despite the arrival of close to pounds 30m worth of talent in 1996, Beardsley's place has never been in serious jeopary.

ROY KEANE

Would almost certainly be higher, but for the series of injuries which have deprived Manchester United of his services for most of the current season. His value was perfectly illustrated in the Cup final when he was the key figure in a United midfield that first out-fought, then outplayed their much-vaunted Liverpool counterparts. United's European aspirations surely depend on his fitness and focus.

IAN WRIGHT

A year that began in turmoil (bust-ups, transfer requests, lack of form) is ending in triumph (the Premierhip's leading scorer, back in the England squad) though the self-destructive temperament remains a constant. Somewhat surprisingly, this most instinctive of players is thriving under Arsene Wenger's cerebral tutelage, perhaps because Wenger is wise enough to allow Wright to be himself. Has lost none of his speed. Or his hunger.

LES FERDINAND

Reports of his desmise, following Alan Shearer's arrival on Tyneside, appear to be somewhat premature. Desite the fact that both appear to play exactly the same role, the two have dovetailed impressively and Ferdinand cannot be blamed for Newcastle's unconvincing first half to the season. In full flight, he is an awesome sight: powerful, determined and courageous. Not bad in the air, either.

TONY ADAMS

Like his Arsenal team-mate Wright, Adams' year has got better and better. His began with serious injury, and the only prolonged action he saw in the first nine months was as England defensive stalwart during Euro 96. His confession to being an alcoholic appears to have had a cathartic affect. Leaner and quicker, he has responded to Arsene Wenger's confidence in his all-round ability with some memorable forays upfield.

TEDDY SHERINGHAM

One of the most intelligent users of the ball in the English game, the signs are that Sheringham is growing increasingly frustrated by Tottenham's failure to acquire players of similar talent. As well as his thoughtful probing from the withdrawn forward position, Sheringham is a dead-ball specialist and dominating in the air. There would be no shortage of takers if he did decide to leave White Hart Lane.

ROBBIE EARLE

In those supposedly `disgusting' tabloid pen pictures of the Crazy Gang, Vinnie Jones could find nothing worse to say of his midfield ally than: "A bit too much the perfect pro." Earle also scores brave, vital goals (averaging one every four games) and has few peers in the Premiership in terms of helping both to create and destroy. Might have taken David Platt's place in the England squad had he been with a more fashionable club.

PAUL MERSON

The last 12 months have seen Merson play the best football of his career, with first Bruce Rioch and then Arsene Wenger preferring to use him in central roles rather than on the wing, where he was so often marooned during George Graham's later years. Stronger and quicker than before, his passing can be a delight, his finishing (despite Saturday's blinder against Aston Villa) less so.

SLAVEN BILIC

Had Newcastle spent half the fee wasted luring Faustino Asprilla to Tyneside on the West Ham centre-back, they would probably have won the League. Prone to the odd lapse, but on his game the best defender in the Premiership, combining the traditional virtues of speed, strength and timing with the continental ones of ball-playing skill and ruthlessness. His English counterparts can only watch, admire and - one hopes - learn.

RUUD GULLIT

It was the footballing cliche of 96. No matter how long the lay-off, or how short the appearance as a substitute, Gullit was the best player on the field. One of the greats in his prime, he remains a delight in his dotage, apparently playing the game in a different time zone. Would be far higher, and his Chelsea team more successful, were he able to play more frequently.

DENIS IRWIN

His contribution to Manchester United's defensive solidity is freqently taken for granted, but never by Alex Ferguson or his team-mates. Superb timer of his tackles, Irwin's astute positional sense means he is seldom out-run despite a lack of pace. Links well when going forward and a fearsome striker of the dead ball.

DWIGHT YORKE

Invigorated by Brian Little's clever management, Yorke's superlative form was a major factor in Aston Villa's success last season. For a time he seemed to score with every effort on goal, while his clever running made him virtually impossible to suppress. Though less prolific this term, there are signs that both he and Villa are rediscovering their best form.

BUBBLING UNDER

21 Andrei Kanchelskis

22 Georgi Kinkladze

23 Gareth Southgate

24 Colin Hendry

25 Ryan Giggs

26 Gary McAllister

27 Sasa Curcic

28 Andy Hinchcliffe

29 Sol Campbell

30 David Ginola

31 Michael Thomas

32 Mark Draper

33 Matt Le Tissier

34 Jason McAteer

35 Aljosa Asanovic

36 Juninho

37 Mark Wright

38 Stuart Pearce

39 Dennis Wise

40 Dennis Bergkamp

Not from myself: in some respects it is strange that Gianfranco Zola isn't among the first 40 players. This is easily revealed when we come to the 1996 1997 season, and the various sources. He is at #2 in The Independent their 1997 list. Unfortunately, the top 20 places for 1998 has fallen away. Maybe The Independent felt that Zola hadn't a sufficient body of work yet; he had only eight Chelsea games under his belt at that point (30 December 1996).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Steve Stone played very well in European Cup iirc. I mean against the French clubs at least. Auxerre and Lyon. 95-96. 1995 1996

PDG1978 repped this.
  15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    'Not' = note.

1996 1997

-------------------------------------

Gianfranco Zola, the little Italian Chelsea maestro, is Footballer of the Year.

He completes a hat-trick of foreign winners of the Football Writers' Association award in its 50th year.

[...]

Another pocket-sized overseas star, Middlesbrough's brilliant Brazilian Juninho, earned second place. Chelsea striker Mark Hughes was third.

--------------------------------------------------

All votes are now in for the PFA award and the six nominations are: Shearer, Zola, David Beckham, Roy Keane, Steve McManaman and Ian Wright.

-------------------------------------------------

Alan Shearer, the Newcastle United and England forward, last night became only the second player, after Mark Hughes of Chelsea, to be named player of the year by the Professional Footballers' Association twice in his career. Shearer finished ahead of David Beckham, of Manchester United, who had the consolation of winning the young player award. Ian Wright, the Arsenal forward, who has had a recent revival to his England career, came third in the awards. Shearer won the award in 1995, when he played for Blackburn Rovers.

-------------------------------------------------

IAN WRIGHT has blasted his fellow professionals for not making his team-mate Dennis Bergkamp their Player of the Year.

Arsenal's brilliant Dutchman was not even nominated by the PFA as Alan Shearer walked off with the award.

Manchester United whizkid David Beckham was second and Wright third, but Bergkamp did not even feature in the Premiership Team of the Year.

Wright said: "I was disappointed Dennis didn't even get among the nominees.

Crucial

"In the first half of the season he has been as good as anybody.

"I can't see how he was not even involved.

"People are too regimented in their voting. They look for where the names are, like in the goalscoring charts, and just pick them.

"It is unjust he was not even nominated."

Bergkamp's ability to set up goals as well as score them has been crucial in keeping Arsene Wenger's team involved in the Premiership title race.

Note: Gianfranco Zola wasn't among the first three either, unlike the FWA vote (where Juninho came second)

------------------------------------

The esteemed sports writer Simon Barnes had his XI of the season for 'The Times'.

FOOTBALL XI

P Schmeichel (Man United and Denmark)

G Neville (Man United and England)

S Bilic (Everton and Croatia)

F Leboeuf (Chelsea and France)

R Giggs (Man United and Wales)

R Keane (Man United and Ireland)

Juninho (Middlesbrough and Brazil)

D Beckham (Man United and England)

D Bergkamp (Arsenal and Holland)

A Shearer (Newcastle United and England)

G Zola (Chelsea and Italy)

----------------------------------------------------------

The Sun (15 May 1997)

Tony Banks, Labour's Minister for Sport, believes foreign players living in this country should be made eligible to be chosen for Glenn Hoddle's England.

[...]

If Banks had his way an England team of the future could look something like this:

Schmeichel (Man Utd), Petrescu (Chelsea), Leboeuf (Chelsea), Albert (N'castle), Gary Neville (Man Utd), Zola (Chelsea), Beckham (Man Utd), Cantona (Man Utd), Juninho (M'boro), Shearer (N'castle), Ravanelli (M'boro). Subs: Seaman (Arsenal), Giggs (Man Utd), Di Matteo (Chelsea), Bergkamp (Arsenal), Pallister (Man Utd).

Readers of The Sun....

Player of the season

1: David Beckham (31%)

2: Gianfranco Zola (19%)

3: Juninho (15%)

The Manchester United star has thrilled us with some spectacular goals and was a clear winner. PFA Player of the Year Alan Shearer was only joint- seventh and came behind the likes of Robbie Fowler, Ian Wright and Roy Keane.

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    By the way, is this (for the early years) a retrospective award?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Player_of_the_Season

1996 1997

-------------------------------------

Daily Mirror:

That might not have been the case had we elected Alan Hansen's choice of Roy Keane. With that loftiness which gets up many English noses, Hansen wrote last week on behalf of United's fiery midfielder: "I am worried that I have been watching a different game all season to members of the Football Writers' Association."

Keane is not in our first three of Zola, Juninho and Hughes, but surely Hansen might have noticed he's also not in the first three of the Professional Footballers' Association: Alan Shearer, David Beckham, Ian Wright.

Two imports in our list, but none in the PFA's. A sign of resentment in the dressing-rooms?

"No," says PFA chairman Pat Nevin. "Our choice of Cantona as Player of the Year in 1994 made it obvious our members have no problem about voting for a foreigner. Also David Ginola and Jurgen Klinsmann have been in our lists.

"Players are swayed only by what they see on the field; most simply ask: 'Who did I admire when I played against him?'

"Our winner, Alan Shearer, has been magnificent but missed part of the season, which may have cost him votes in the writers' poll. The same probably applied to Keane."

But how strange the omission of Juninho from even the PFA's Premiership XI when "He's easily head and shoulders above anybody in the country."

----------------------------------------

Zola led the field as the SunSport Player Of The Year with Arsenal striker Ian Wright in second place.

Manchester United and England youngster David Beckham was third with team-mate Roy Keane fourth.

TOP 10 HOW YOU VOTED

1. Zola (Chelsea) 2. Ian Wright (Arsenal) 3. David Beckham (Man Utd) 4. Roy Keane (Man Utd) 5. Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) 6. Mark Hughes (Chelsea) 7. Robbie Fowler (Liverpool) 8. Julian Dicks (West Ham) 9. Alan Shearer (Newcastle) 10. Juninho (Middlesbrough)

----------------------------------------

News of the World graded each game and came to these players (based on their grades):

Every Saturday our reporters give marks out of 10 to the Premiership players.

[...]

KEEPERS

NIGEL MARTYN (Leeds): Scored consistently all season and was rewarded with an England call. Nine eights (out of 10) in 24 Saturday games.

KEVIN PRESSMAN (Sheff Wed): Had a nine in the 2-1 win over Aston Villa on the opening day and never looked back. Other nine-pointers followed in a 1-0 win at Liverpool on December 7 and the 2-0 defeat at Manchester United on March 15.

TIM FLOWERS (Blackburn): One of the country's top keepers, he has maintained his form despite Blackburn's indifferent season. Best performance, a nine, in their goalless draw at Sunderland on February 22.

NEVILLE SOUTHALL (Everton): Has had his ups and downs this term but turned in enough impressive displays to make our short list. Had two magical nines - in a 2-1 victory over West Ham on October 12 and in a 0-0 draw against Leeds on December 21.

DEFENDERS

SLAVEN BILIC (West Ham): One of the Premiership's most highly-rated central defenders. Linked with Everton, but stayed to help Hammers' battle against relegation. Starred in last week's 2-2 draw against Everton and the 3-1 win at Coventry in March.

TONY ADAMS (Arsenal): Superb form underpinned Arsenal's challenge for the title. A huge influence in goalless draws at Leeds on February 1 and Tottenham a fortnight later.

COLIN HENDRY (Blackburn): Earned a 10 - one of only three this season - in the goalless draw at Liverpool on February 22, and a nine as Rovers went down 2-0 at home to Tottenham on the season's opening day.

SOL CAMPBELL (Tottenham): Consistent high marks catapulted him into England's squad. A nine in the 3-0 win at Middlesbrough on October 19 and again in a 2-0 home win over Sunderland in November.

JULIAN DICKS (West Ham): Outstanding in Hammers' relegation battle. Consecutive eights in a 3-1 defeat at Chelsea on December 21 and a 2-0 home win over Sunderland.

PAUL McGRATH (Derby): His international career is drawing to a close, but the Republic of Ireland veteran had seven eights in 16 Saturday matches.

MIDFIELDERS

DAVID BECKHAM (Man Utd): An amazing goal - and 10 out of 10 - against Wimbledon. Also gave a majestic performance in United's 1-0 win over Arsenal on November 16. But he had a couple of poor games - and got only a five in their October 12 win over Liverpool!

PATRICK VIEIRA (Arsenal): A major influence in his first Premiership season. A string of eight eights in 18 matches, including a fine display in the 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest on March 8.

ALJOSA ASANOVIC (Derby): Seven marks of eight in his 23 matches - which also included a magnificent nine in the 1-1 draw against Forest on October 19.

PAUL MERSON (Arsenal): Has shown some of the best form of his career, with seven eights in 16 games, and a starring role in the 2-1 win at Newcastle on November 30.

ROY KEANE (Man Utd): Had a useful six marks of eight in his 14 matches - but also suffered a nightmare four in United's 6-3 hiding by Southampton on October 26.

JUNINHO (Middlesbrough): The little Brazilian stole the show in Boro's double march on Wembley. Four nines, including a match-winning display in the 1-0 victory over Chelsea on March 22.

STRIKERS

BENITO CARBONE (Sheff Wed): Five eights in his 13 matches - and a nine in the 2-2 draw with Leeds on March 22.

GIANFRANCO ZOLA (Chelsea): Made a sensational impact since his arrival from Italy. Scored nine in a 2-2 draw against Everton on December 7 and the 3-1 win over West Ham on December 21.

IAN WRIGHT (Arsenal): Top scorer Wright has been in brilliant form for the Gunners - six marks of eight in 19 matches, and a nine to mark his winning goal against Newcastle on November 30.

DEAN STURRIDGE (Derby): Shock contender for a place in our team of the season, but three nines in 19 matches testify to his form. Kicked off the season with two goals - and a nine - in a 3-3 draw with Leeds, and has not looked back.

ALAN SHEARER (Newcastle): The Pounds 15 million hitman is always among the goals, even though his season has been hit by injury. His brace in the 7-1 thrashing of Tottenham on December 28 earned him nine points.

DENNIS BERGKAMP (Arsenal): The Dutchman has been in superb form - eight eights in 16 matches, and a nine in the 2-2 home draw with Aston Villa on December 28.

News of the World again (as final conclusion)

This is it, folks ...

Pressman (Sheff Wed), Campbell (Tottenham), McGrath (Derby), Hendry (Blackburn), Adams (Arsenal), Vieira (Arsenal), Juminho (M'Boro), Merson (Arsenal), Sturridge (Derby), Zola (Chelsea), Bergkamp (Arsenal)
    [...]
    We asked you to pick your top team in a 1-4-3-3 formation from a list of leading players compiled from our reporters' ratings out of 10 this season. Thousands of you wrote in - and many were caught out, naming the likes of Alan Shearer, David Beckham and Roy Keane in your line-up. None of them made our team!
    [...]
    But that didn't stop Zola! He totalled 89 points from 12 Saturday matches after joining the Stamford Bridge club on November 9. His average of 7.42 just pipped Arsenal's Dennis Bergkamp (118pts in 16 games, average 7.38).

Strikers stole the show in our ratings. Derby's Dean Sturridge was a shock third with 140pts from 19 games for 7.37 to make up our front line.

Surprise

Our goalkeeper was also a surprise with the majority of you picking Leeds' Nigel Martyn. He averaged 7.13 with 171pts from 24 matches - but Sheffield Wednesday's Kevin Pressman nipped in with an average of 7.14, thanks to his 157pts from 22 games.

West Ham duo Slaven Bilic and Julian Dicks were also among your selections - but they, too, missed out on the final line-up. Top defender was Derby's Paul McGrath who clocked up 117pts in 16 appearances for an average of 7.31.

He was closely followed by Arsenal's Tony Adams (7.06), Colin Hendry of Blackburn (7.05) and Tottenham's Sol Campbell (7.00).

Paul Merson and Patrick Vieira made it a total of FOUR Arsenal players in the final line-up, proving the Gunners' consistency. Vieira averaged 7.33 with 132pts from 18 matches while Merson averaged 7.31 with 117pts from 16 matches.

Middlesbrough's brilliant Brazilian, Juninho, who has been in marvellous form throughout their sad season, also made the final team, thanks to his average of 7.19 - earned with 151pts from 21 matches.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Independent:

Premiership team of season (3-4-2-1): Schmeichel (Man Utd); Perry (Wimbledon), Leboeuf (Chelsea), Adams (Arsenal); Petrescu (Chelsea), Beckham (Man Utd), Vieira (Arsenal), Bjornebye (Liverpool); Juninho (Middlesbrough), Zola (Chelsea); Shearer (Newcastle). Subs: Seaman (Arsenal), Elliott (Leicester), Keane (Man Utd), Solskjaer (Man Utd), Ravanelli (Middlesbrough).

Bettabuys: Solskjaer, Vieira, Elliott.

Supermarket sweeps: Karel Poborsky (Man Utd), Gianluca Vialli (Chelsea), Sasa Curcic (Aston Villa).

Class acts: Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal), Slaven Bilic (West Ham), Roy Evans (Liverpool manager).

Bottom of the bill: David Platt (Arsenal), Lee Sharpe (Leeds), Nicky Barmby (Everton).

Warm-up men (unsung but effective): Robbie Mustoe (Boro), Mark Wright (Liverpool), Dean Sturridge (Derby).

Ahead of their time: Stuart Campbell (Leicester), Michael Owen (Liverpool), Niklas Anelka (Arsenal).

Past it (but thanks for the memories): Ian Rush (Liverpool), Neville Southall (Everton), Nigel Winterburn (Arsenal).

Luke Skywalkers: Steve Claridge (Leicester), Robbie Fowler (Liverpool), Joe Kinnear (Wimbledon manager).

Darth Vaders: Ian Wright (Arsenal), Emerson (Boro), Middlesbrough.

Eurostar Passengers: Jordi Cruyff (Man Utd), David Ginola (Newcastle), Tony Yeboah (Leeds).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1996 1997

Final part (of what I found)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Daily Mirror (19 May 1997)

1. ERIC CANTONA

No player has dominated the Championship so much. Five titles in six years plus the Footballer of the Year and two FA Cups.

2. BRUCE GROBBELAAR

Crazy name, crazy keeper - but won every honour going in his Liverpool years.

3. OSSIE ARDILES

Argentinian World Cup winner paved the way for foreign stars and brought the glory back to Spurs.

4. PETER SCHMEICHEL

Probably the best goalkeeper in the world, Manchester United's fiery giant Dane is a real winner.

5. FRANS THIJSSEN

Footballer of the Year, the classy Dutchman helped Ipswich win 1981 UEFA Cup.

6. JAN MOLBY

Danish midfielder Molby won two titles and two FA Cups at Anfield and was rated the best passer in Britain.

7. GIANFRANCO ZOLA

Voted Footballer of the year after just 29 games for Chelsea. Tricky Italian hit World Cup winner at Wembley.

8. JURGEN KLINSMANN

Took the Premiership by storm in his year at Spurs.

9. DENNIS BERGKAMP

Helped bury the 'boring Arsenal' image forever.

10. JUNINHO

No-One can argue with the magical Brazilian's effort for the Middlesbrough cause.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/10 TOP FOREIGNERS.-a061230157

Daily Mirror (April 1997)

How come Dennis Bergkamp isn't mentioned in the same breath as Zola, Juninho and Cantona in the round up of the greatest foreign players.

Dennis has been absolutely brilliant this season. He doesn't need to take on three defenders by running at them, one touch can leave them all on their backsides.

Paul Merson called Berkgamp the best player he has ever played with, and Alan Hansen thinks that he's the most gifted player in the Premiership.

It's about time everyone else realised that Bergkamp is the main reason Arsenal have been able to launch a surprise championship challenge.

I hope Dennis is recognised with some award or something because he totally deserves it.

The Sun (23 December 1997) - in no particular order

JURGEN KLINSMANN was a stunning success in his first spell at Spurs, following a proud tradition of foreign superstars to make their mark on the English game.

OSSIE ARDILES: Joined Tottenham with Ricardo Villa in 1978 after helping Argentina lift the World Cup. He was part of Spurs' FA Cup winning side in 1981.

ERIC CANTONA: Won an incredible five championship medals in six seasons with Leeds and Manchester United as well as two FA Cups. Voted Player of the Year in 1994 and Footballer of the Year in 1996.

JURGEN KLINSMANN: Scored 29 goals in his previous season with Spurs in 1994-95 when he was voted Footballer of the Year.

PETER SCHMEICHEL: The Dane is probably the best goalkeeper in the world, as he proved again with two superb saves against Newcastle on Sunday.

GIANFRANCO ZOLA: Helped Chelsea win the FA Cup last season and was voted Footballer of the Year.

JUNINHO: The Brazilian was outstanding last season for Middlesbrough even though they were relegated.

ROBERTO Di MATTEO: Italian, scored the fastest goal in Wembley FA Cup Final history in May as Chelsea lifted the trophy.

FRANS THIJSSEN: Hugely gifted Dutchman who helped Ipswich win the UEFA Cup in 1981. Footballer of the Year the same year.

DENNIS BERGKAMP: Another Dutchman who has shown this season he is a world-class talent.

JAN MOLBY: The Dane helped Liverpool win the double in 1986.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Independent top 20 players of the 1997 calendar year

1 Dennis Bergkamp

(Arsenal)

So smooth silk is like sandpaper in comparison, he is the most watchable striker in England. The winner because, on his day, he conjures more goals from nowhere than anyone else.

2 Gianfranco Zola

(Chelsea)

Hardest player in the Premiership to mark, he drifts between midfield and the front, causing problems wherever he is. Chelsea would be watchable any way but Zola has turned them into title contenders.

3 Peter Schmeichel

(Manchester United)

Big and commanding, Schmeichel's presence is immense. The foghorn voice used to organise United's defence but since he has become captain he influences tactics, too. Saves against Newcastle took the breath away.

4 Paul Scholes

(Manchester United)

Alex Ferguson saw it first when he nominated him two years ago as Cantona's successor. Defensive midfield, in the hole, out and out striker, he can play anywhere. Knack of scoring in big matches.

5 John Hartson

(West Ham United)

Most improved player in the Premiership. pounds 3.3m seemed a colossal amount to pay for an Arsenal reject but he kept West Ham out of the relegation mire last season and has scored 17 goals this.

6 David Beckham

(Manchester United)

Can infuriate, but no one is more likely to produce a match-winning pass for club or country. Has turned what seemed to be a waste on the flanks into becoming the best crosser in the Premiership.

7 Nigel Martyn

(Leeds United)

How Glenn Hoddle could prefer Ian Walker to Martyn is mystery. A good shot stopper, his command of crosses makes him stand out. Will push David Seaman hard for the World Cup place.

8 Roy Keane

(Manchester United)

United's raging bull would be the perfect midfield player if only he could keep his temper in check. On his better days you have to count the team to make sure he is not playing twice. .TEXT: 9 Patrick Vieira

(Arsenal)

France's Roy Keane, he has been the best of Arsene Wenger's imports. Much was made of Bergkamp's suspension but it is Vieira's absence that hamstrung Arsenal recently. Will be a force in the World Cup.

10 Ryan Giggs

(Manchester United)

Fit at last to give vent to his skills, Giggs is keeping the promises of his youth. Glorious in full flight, if his distribution matched his dribbling he would be No 1 instead of No 10.

11 Sol Campbell

(Tottenham)

Very strong and if there was a doubt it was that his bulk might sap his speed. Gladly, that has not happened and, allied to an eagerness to learn, he is Spurs' best insurance against relegation.

12 Alan Shearer

(Newcastle Utd)

The striker's striker, it is the measure of his stature that he made it to the top 20 while playing only 17 matches for Newcastle in 1997. Every night England prays he will be fit for the World Cup.

13 Matt Elliott

(Leicester)

Robust, Elliott is a throwback to the days when centre-halves used to frighten strikers. His size belies his skill, and it would not be a surprise if he becomes a Scotland giant.

14 Dennis Wise

(Chelsea)

According to Alex Ferguson, Wise could start an argument in an empty house but there is little dispute about his ability. A clever player, his contribution to Chelsea's rise has often been overlooked.

15 Nicky Butt

(Manchester United)

Roy Keane is missing but has anyone noticed? Butt has always been a good tackler and the extra responsibility has allowed other qualities to blossom. Could supplant David Batty as England's ball winner.

16 Kevin Gallacher

(Blackburn Rovers)

Scotland bemoaned the lack of a goal scorer and all the time he has been on a treatment bench in Blackburn. Had nearly as many broken legs as goals for three seasons but has had a magnificent 1997.

17 Chris Sutton

(Blackburn Rovers)

Overshadowed by Shearer, Sutton needed Roy Hodgson to measure up to his erstwhile partner's shoes. Now resembles the player he was at Norwich, a strong mobile forward with a knack for scoring. 13 goals so far this season.

18 Ian Wright

(Arsenal)

An anti-climactic end but that cannot mask an otherwise splendid 1997. Broke Cliff Bastin's Arsenal scoring record and at last looked like the England striker Highbury believed him to be.

19 Steve McManaman

(Liverpool)

The enigma. At his best only Ryan Giggs can match his dribbling; at his worst he could find a cul-de-sac on a motorway. Has greatness within him but can he find it?

20 Franck Leboeuf

(Chelsea)

A rare regular in Ruud Gullit's ever-changing team. Already an elegant passer and astute reader of the game he added the toughness required of Premiership defenders after a going over from Wimbledon late in 1996. Contributed useful goals from 30 yards and 12.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/simply-the-best-1290972.html

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #18 PuckVanHeel, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    I hadn't an in-depth look at 1997-98 before because it was pretty clear to me that a few names dominated the recognitions. Matt Dickinson of The Times claimed that Michael Owen deserved the PFA & FWA double! "One could argue that Owen, as consistent as any of his rivals in the FA Carling Premiership this season, deserved both prizes, but there will be few who contest the vote for Bergkamp."

I'll also do a re-attempt for 1993 1994 but that doesn't look as easy.

I'll also try to show how 'the story' developed.

Either way, here we go:

1997 1998

Daily Mirror (26 August 1997)

Arsene Wenger reckons Dennis Bergkamp would be European Footballer of the Year if he were not playing alongside Ian Wright.
    Bergkamp was in outstanding form again in Saturday's 3-1 win at Southampton, scoring twice to leave Wright in the shade for once.
    Yet the manager knows that Wright's continued attempts to break the Arsenal scoring record will dominate all the talk again leading up to
    tomorrow's trip to Leicester.
    Wenger says: "Dennis is a great example to every footballer in this country - a tremendous player whose behaviour is perfect.
    "But the fact he is a quiet man away from the pitch is a handicap because it means he is out of the public eye.
    "It was very surprising for me that he was not mentioned at all for the European Player of the Year last season. Imagine that, no votes at
    all."

------------------------------------------------------

Ian Wright (23 September 1997)

He's been awesome this season. I can't understand why he didn't get a single vote in the European Footballer of the Year poll.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Independent (10 December 1997)

Dennis Bergkamp could be crowned king of European football before Christmas - and world No 1 early in the new year. Bill Pierce reports.
    Dennis Bergkamp is in line for a notable double after Fifa, the governing body of world football, announced yesterday that he is on a shortlist of four, along with the Brazilian pair, Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, and the Frenchman, Zinedine Zidane, for the accolade of World Player of the Year.
    The news comes a few weeks after he was named as a leading candidate from the Premier League for Europe's annual poll.
    "It is a big honour to be mentioned at the same time as those other great players," Bergkamp said.

The Dutchman has scored 12 goals in 16 games for the Gunners this season, and his manager at Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, said "I am delighted to see he has been given a chance to be European Footballer of the Year. And I am amazed that he has never been mentioned even in the list of possibilities before."
    "At 27 he has arrived at the peak of his career and that is why he is such an important player for us. Technically there are few who can challenge him and he has learned to add aggression to his game. In England you need to be more physical and although it has sometimes brought him a yellow card you cannot lose the aggression or else you lose the ability of the player."
    Bergkamp's goals this season are one of the reasons why he's among five Premiership players under consideration for the European award, conducted by the magazine, France Football.
    But, he says, "Scoring goals is not my real job in the team. I get just as much pleasure from creating chances for Ian Wright or somebody else to score. I have 12 goals now but at the end of the season we will see who the real goalscorers are."
    The winner will be announced at Disneyland near Paris on 12 January.

--------------------------------------------------------

31 December 1997

Dennis Bergkamp last night revealed his personal crusade to leave the English game in a healthier state as he launched an outspoken attack on the drink-fuelled culture which pervades the Premiership.

The Dutch master, who prides himself on being the consummate footballing professional, said: "The best thing I want to achieve in my career is this - I want all young kids in London, every little boy, to have the desire to play for Arsenal because it is the team of Dennis Bergkamp.

"I'm striving for perfection and recognition. That is the thing that keeps me going."

Bergkamp, brought up on the pasta and Perrier continental approach to the beautiful game, is clearly staggered by the booze-ridden antics of his colleagues this side of the English Channel.

Arsenal's hero says: "In England some players booze a lot. Those who have been out on the town and smell of booze the next morning in training are the ones I set out after."

While he is clearly horrified by their lack of discipline, he admits he is finding the burden of carrying Arsenal through their current slump equally wearisome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DENNIS Bergkamp last night scooped the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award - the first Gunner to do so since Liam Brady in 1979.
    Bergkamp beat off strong competition from Andy Cole, who came second, and third-placed Michael Owen.
    Bergkamp struggled to make a major impact in his first season at Highbury, but his inspirational form this season has helped Arsenal to the brink of a Premier League and FA Cup double.
    The Player-of-the-Year award was presented to Bergkamp by Sir Tom Finney.

2 May 1998

DENNIS BERGKAMP has been voted player of the year by the Footballer Writers' Association.

And that means he has completed a double of his own, having earlier collecting the same honour from the Professional Footballers' Association.

Not since John Barnes ten years ago has anybody won both the FWA and the PFA awards. And Bergy is the only foreign star to have done so.

He succeeds Gianfranco Zola as the FWA winner, who in turn took the trophy from Eric Cantona, who followed Jurgen Klinsmann.

As Arsenal stand on the verge of a League and FA Cup double, Bergkamp is not the only Highbury man to find favour among the football scribes.

In fact, a magnificent seven of Arsenal players attracted the votes from the FWA members.

Tony Adams finished second to Bergkamp and together they polled more than 50 per cent of the votes.

Eighteen-year-old goal-scoring sensation Michael Owen finished third but then came five more Arsenal men.

They are David Seaman, Martin Keown and Ray Parlour, Frenchman Patrick Vieira and Bergkamp's Dutch team-mate Marc Overmars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Daily Mirror 26 April 1998

Give it to Owen .. I've had enough of these foreigners

MY voting form for Footballer of the Year was signed, stamped and posted last night ready for Thursday's announcement of the winner.
    You won't find Dennis Bergkamp on it; still less the name of Gianluca Vialli. Not even Peter Schmeichel.
    I've had it up to here with fly-by-night foreigners holding aloft a statuette instituted to honour the best of British.
    In nearly 50 years, we members of the Football Writers' Association crowned only two Continentals.
    They were German 'keeper Bert Trautmann of Manchester City and the Dutch dribbler Frans Thijssen of Ipswich.
    But the dam burst three years ago when Jurgen Klinsmann was followed as Footballer of the Year by Eric Cantona and then by Gianfranco Zola last season. Of those three, I voted only for Ooh-Aah.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Independent 'team of the season' 1997-98 (also available online)

PREMIERSHIP TEAM OF THE SEASON
    PETER SCHMEICHEL MAN UTD
    FRANCK LEBOUEF CHELSEA
    MATT ELLIOTT LEICESTER CITY
    TONY ADAMS ARSENAL
    GARY NEVILLE MAN UTD
    EMMANUEL PETIT ARSENAL
    PATRICK VIEIRA ARSENAL
    NEIL REDFEARN BARNSLEY
    DAVID GINOLA TOTTENHAM
    DENNIS BERGKAMP ARSENAL
    MICHAEL OWEN LIVERPOOL

The Sun (16 May 1998)

Bergkamp bags a treble in reader awards
    DENNIS BERGKAMP has been collecting awards throughout the season - and he scooped everyone again with The Sun honours.
    Two Footballer of the Year awards, a Championship-winning medal, Goal of the Season...it has been a season of glory for Arsenal's great Dutchman.
    Today, he has three more prizes - courtesy of The Sun's 12million football-loving readers.
    They have voted Bergkamp the Best Player of the Year and the Best Striker of the Year, while his hat-trick goal at Leicester was named the Goal of the Season.
    [...]
    HOW YOU VOTED
    MATCH OF THE SEASON
    Man Utd 3 Juventus 2 31% Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2 30% Man Utd 0 Arsenal 1 26%
    GOAL OF THE SEASON
    Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) v Leicester 53% Steve McManaman (Liverpool) v Celtic 26% Kevin Davies (Southampton) v Everton 11%
    BEST PLAYER
    Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) 59% Michael Owen (Liverpool) 24% David Ginola (Spurs) 9%
    BEST BUY
    Emmanuel Petit (Arsenal) 39% Alex Manninger (Arsenal) 38% Kevin Davies (Southampton)16%
    WORST BUY
    Stan Collymore (Liverpool-Aston Villa) 77% Itzak Zohar (Antwerp-Palace)9% Teddy Sheringham (Spurs-Man U)7%
    BEST NEWCOMER
    Michael Owen (Liverpool) 61% Alex Manninger (Arsenal) 30% Rio Ferdinand (West Ham) 3%
    BEST STRIKER
    Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) 54% Michael Owen (Liverpool) 28% John Hartson (West Ham) 9%
    BEST MANAGER
    Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) 79% Danny Wilson (Barnsley) 9% Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) 8%
    WORST MANAGER
    Frank Clark (ex-Man City) 43% Howard Kendall (Everton) 39% Kenny Dalglish (Newcastle) 12%
    BIGGEST MOANER
    Kenny Dalglish (Newcastle) 38% Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) 35% Alan Shearer (Newcastle) 19%
    UNSUNG HERO
    Neil Redfearn (Barnsley) 43% Sammy McIlroy (Macclesfield)37% Giuliano Grazioli (Stevenage)11%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day before the FA Cup final there was an interesting preview. It was predicted correctly that Arsenal would win the game against Newcastle, but they showed a staggering effect their talisman had on the results during the 1997 1998 season.

Arsenal with Bergkamp :
    P40 W24 D14 L2 F70 A31
    Winning percentage: 60%
    Percentage at avoiding defeat: 95%
    Defeats: Dec 13 Blackburn (h) 1-3 Feb 8 Chelsea (a) 1-3

Without Bergkamp:
    P13 W7 D1 L5 F17 A15
    Winning percentage: 54%
    Percentage at avoiding defeat: 62%
    Defeats: Sep 16 PAOK Salonika (a) 0-1, Nov 1 Derby (a) 0-3, Nov 22 Sheff Wed (a) 0-2, May 6 Liverpool (a) 0-4, May 10 Aston Villa (a) 0- 1

Bergkamp's record:
    22 goals in 40 games

[P = games played, W = wins, D = draws, L = loss, F = goals for, A = goals against]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The overwhelming consensus - and this is different in other seasons - seems to be: 1) Dennis Bergkamp, 2) Michael Owen. The first one helped by his club posing a challenge for Manchester United ("until recently a mere formality" when they're not off-the-rails as a match commentator said), the second one helped by being 18 years old and joint topscorer - and being English perhaps. Also reasonably creative per 'key passes'.

The balance among contenders was tilting (slightly) towards Zola in 1996 1997 (my impression), and he hadn't an as good 1997-98, but the OPTA yearbook claimed that he rebounded in 1998-99. Indeed, the statistics and their index support this. As discussed recently, this is most likely why he missed out in the '100 league legends' list (of 1998) but was included among the first six names of the Premier League list (in 1999).

Southall, McGrath, John Barnes, Tony Adams, Gascoigne, Shearer, Giggs, Cantona, Schmeichel and Bergkamp (Football League 1998)

vs

Les Ferdinand, Peter Schmeichel, Eric Cantona, Alan Shearer, Gianfranco Zola and Dennis Bergkamp (Premier League 1999)

PDG1978 repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Lots of material for 2001 2002 season. Maybe I'll revisit this but I leave out the tabloid pieces here (in a Daily Mail readers vote Freddie Ljungberg was #1). Also many comments about that Pires and Ljungberg weren't up to standards in their first season (2000-01 and 1998-99 respectively) but then improved markedly.

2001 2002

Here are 'The Independent' ratings for 2001 2002 after the final game (same methodology as the one posted in post #2 for 2003-04).

BEST GOALKEEPERS

1 M Poom (Derby County) 6.8

2= S Given (Newcastle United) 6.2

2= C Cudicini (Chelsea) 6.2

2= D Kiely (Charlton Athletic) 6.2

5= M Sereni (Ipswich Town) 6.1

5= P Schmeichel (Aston Villa) 6.1

5= D Seaman (Arsenal) 6.1

8 J Dudek (Liverpool) 6

9= B Friedel (Blackburn Rovers) 5.9

9= M Crossley (Middlesbrough) 5.9

BEST DEFENDERS

1 R Ferdinand (Leeds United) 6.6

2= S Hyypia (Liverpool) 6.4

2= G Southgate (Middlesbrough) 6.4

4= D Richards (Tottenham Hotspur) 6.1

4= G Bergsson (Bolton Wanderers) 6.1

4= A Gardner (Tottenham Hotspur) 6.1

4= M Delaney (Aston Villa) 6.1

4= S Campbell (Arsenal) 6.1

4= S Henchoz (Liverpool) 6.1

10= M Keown (Arsenal) 6

10= J Terry (Chelsea) 6

10= J Fortune (Charlton Athletic) 6

10= O Mellberg (Aston Villa) 6

BEST MIDFIELDERS

1 R Keane (Manchester United) 7.2

2 R Pires (Arsenal) 7

3 R Giggs (Manchester United) 6.9

4= K Dyer (Newcastle United) 6.8

4= F Ljungberg (Arsenal) 6.8

6 P Vieira (Arsenal) 6.6

7 S Malbranque (Fulham) 6.5

8 D Dunn (Blackburn Rovers) 6.4

9= P Scholes (Manchester United) 6.3

9= T Gravesen (Everton) 6.3

BEST STRIKERS

1 T Henry (Arsenal) 6.9

2 D Bergkamp (Arsenal) 6.6

3= B Carbone (Middlesbrough) 6.5

3= D Duff (Blackburn Rovers) 6.5

5= C Bellamy (Newcastle United) 6.4

5= A Shearer (Newcastle United) 6.4

7= M Owen (Liverpool) 6.3

7= T Sheringham (Tottenham) 6.3

7= G Zola (Chelsea) 6.3

10= K Phillips (Sunderland) 6.2

10= O G Solskjaer (Man Utd) 6.2

10= R van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) 6.2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy was named the Professional Footballers' Association players' player of the year last night.

The Dutch striker, who has scored 32 goals in all competitions this season, received the award from the PFA's guest of honour, the Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier, in London. Last year's award was won by Teddy Sheringham, also a United player at the time.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry came second in this year's poll and his team-mate Robert Pires was third.

Van Nistelrooy, who has twice won the equivalent award in the Netherlands, said: "This is the proudest moment so far in my career. I have been voted by the players of the Premier League and it is the best league in Europe at the moment. That makes me feel proud."
    [...]
    NOMINATIONS: D Beckham (Manchester United), J F Hasselbaink (Chelsea), T Henry (Arsenal) R Keane (Manchester United), R Pires (Arsenal), R van Nistelrooy (Manchester United
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal's Robert Pires has been unveiled as the Football Writers' Association Player of the Year. Pires, who is preparing to undergo an operation on the knee injury which curtailed his sparkling season, won the award by just five votes from the Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, with England captain David Beckham finishing a close third. Van Nistelrooy thus missed out on adding the writers' crown to the Professional Footballers' Association award he received last weekend

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pires, who has been in scintillating form this season as one of the most potent weapons in Arsenal's armoury, can glean some inspiration from the man who pushed him all the way for the award: Van Nistelrooy recovered from a career threatening knee injury to enjoy a remarkably prolific first season in the Premiership and was voted Player of the Year by England's Professional Footballers' Association last week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUUD VAN Nistelrooy does not believe he has a hope of winning the PFA Player of the Year award tonight - and has tipped Robert Pires for glory.

The Dutchman has had a superb first season in English football and is one of the favourites to scoop the gong. But he feels Arsenal midfield ace Pires has been the most outstanding player in the Premiership this season.

He said: "It is a great honour to be nominated - it was a big surprise. But I think Pires will win it because he has been excellent. I voted for him."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 2002 'OPTA Index'

Goalkeepers:

TOP 10

Opta rating

1 D James West Ham 991

2 D Seaman Arsenal 821

3 E van der Sar Fulham 818

4 J Dudek Liverpool 811

5 D Kiely Charlton 785

6 N Sullivan Tottenham 764

7 S Given Newcastle 750

8 T Sorensen Sunderland 741

9 N Martyn Leeds 738

10 B Friedel Blackburn 723

Defenders:

Opta rating

1 S Hyypia Liverpool 1056

2 R Ferdinand Leeds 924

3 J A Riise Liverpool 903

4 I Harte Leeds 897

5 A Cole Arsenal 839

6 M Desailly Chelsea 836

7 J Carragher Liverpool 835

8 N Dabizas Newcastle 820

9 J Terry Chelsea 810

10 A Stubbs Everton 806

Midfielders:

Opta rating

1 R Pires Arsenal 1229

2 R Keane Man Utd 1211

3 D Beckham Man Utd 1177

4 P Scholes Man Utd 1093

5 J S Veron Man Utd 1060

6 R Giggs Man Utd 1006

7 F Ljungberg Arsenal 983

8 D Duff Blackburn 866

9 D Dunn Blackburn 864

10 L Robert Newcastle 852

Forwards:

Opta rating

1 T Henry Arsenal 1262

2 O G Solskjaer Man Utd 1118

3 R van N'rooy Man Utd 1028

4 J Hasselbaink Chelsea 1018

5 C Bellamy Newcastle 1009

6 S Wiltord Arsenal 989

7 M Owen Liverpool 988

8 D Bergkamp Arsenal 916

9 A Cole Blackburn 913

10 A Shearer Newcastle 899

Also available here:
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOT...ORY+OF+THE+PREMIERSHIP+IN+2001-02.-a086002188
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Giggs his rating might have gone down (for example) when rated as a forward, while a Wiltord or Bergkamp might have gone up if rated as midfielder.

Pavlin Arnaudov and PDG1978 repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I think Pires certainly was exceptional (and definitely scored some great goals too) in the latter part of 2000/2001 but maybe he had more a season of two halves compared to Ljungberg's debut season.

For 1990 1991 I found some things in an old edition of Shoot:

Their list of canididates to vote for for Shoot's Most Exciting Player of the Year (calls cost 7p, but please ask your parents before phoning is the instruction/info given!):
    Paul Merson
    David Platt
    Gordon Strachan
    Ian Rush
    Ian Wright
    Mark Hughes
    Lee Sharpe
    Niall Quinn
    Stuart Pearce
    Paul Gascoigne
    John Fashanu
    Alan Smith

And their writers gave their take on Players of the Season (and a few other categories - I've selected 3 more to show):
    Player of the Season (England): Stuart Pearce x 3, Paul Gascoigne x 2, Niall Quinn x 1, Lee Sharpe x 1, Paul Davis x 1, Dean Saunders x 1.

Player of the Season (Scotland): Hans Gilhaus x 3, Gary Stevens x 1, Eoin Jess x 1, Paul Elliott x 1, Trevor Steven x 1, Maurice Malpas x 1, Gavin Hastings (Rugby Union Player!) x 1.

Goal of the Season: Roy Wegerle (QPR vs Leeds) x 3, Paul Gascoigne (Tottenham vs Oxford) x 2, Paul Gascoigne (Tottenham vs Arsenal) x 1, John Harkes (Sheff Wed vs Derby) x 1, Andy Legg (Swansea vs Stoke) x 1, Dejan Savicevic (Red Star Belgrade vs Dynamo Dresden *Unlike for Player of the Year categories, domestic football not specified for this, or Game of the Season, or indeed another category Team of the Season in which a different writer voted for Red Star) x 1

Game of the Season: Everton 4-4 Liverpool x 6, Leeds 4-5 Liverpool x 1, Tottenham 3-1 Arsenal x 1, Red Star Belgrade 2-2 Bayern Munich x 1.

comme repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Very difficult to find something remotely useful for 1993-94. I tried it hard (at phases) over the weeks.

1993 1994

PFA
    nominees: Cantona (Manchester Utd), Giggs (Manchester Utd), Ince (Manchester Utd), Beardsley (Newcastle Utd), Andy Cole (Newcastle Utd), Shearer (Blackburn)

PFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR 1 Eric Cantona (Manchester Utd) 2 Peter Beardsley (Newcastle Utd) 3 Alan Shearer (Blackburn Rovers)
    PFA YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR 1 Andy Cole (Newcastle Utd) 2 Chris Sutton (Norwich City) 3 Ryan Giggs (Manchester Utd)

PFA Carling Premier League XI: Tim Flowers (Blackburn), Gary Kelly (Leeds), Gary Pallister (Man Utd), Tony Adams (Arsenal), Denis Irwin, Paul Ince (Man Utd), Gary McAllister (Leeds Utd), David Batty, Alan Shearer (Blackburn), Eric Cantona (Man Utd), Peter Beardsley (Newcastle Utd)
    --------------------------------

ALAN Shearer is the football writers' Footballer of the Year. The 23-year-old Blackburn and England striker narrowly held off Newcastle's Peter Beardsley to become the 47th winner of the most prestigious individual award in English football.

In a record poll, Shearer collected a third of the votes and the man who cost Blackburn pounds 3.3million from Southampton two summers ago goes on the honours list along with all-time greats such as Sir Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney, Danny Blanchflower, Gary Lineker - and his own manager, Kenny Dalglish.

--------------------

ALAN SHEARER has been voted Player of the Year by the football writers. The Blackburn and England striker, who has scored 34 goals this season, was chosen ahead of Peter Beardsley and Eric Cantona, the players' choice.

PDG1978 repped this.
  22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Some more for you on the 1995 1996 season. This is from the Rothmans football yearbook (chosen by the Football Writers Association).

Team of the season:

---------------Schmeichel

G. Neville --- Bruce --- Southgate --- Irwin

--Cantona --- Gullit --- Keane --- Giggs

------------Shearer --- Fowler

Subs: Scales, McManaman, Ferdinand

Players with the highest votes were Cantona, Schmeichel and Shearer. People who came close to inclusion were Alan Wright, Dan Petrescu, Seaman, Kinkladze, P Neville, Ferdinand and Mark Wright.

PDG1978 repped this.
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rothmans on 1996 1997

Team of the season:

--------------------------Martyn

--------------Perry ----- Adams ---- Campbell

Neville --- Beckham --- Keane --- Juninho --- Bjornebye

---------------------Shearer ---- Zola

Subs: Leboeuf, Vieira, Mark Hughes

Beckham was selected unanimously and Shearer and Zola came next.

Foreigners who didn't make it but were supported were Schmeichel, Petrescu, Bergkamp, Di Matteo, Leonhardsen, Bilic and Ravanelli

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rothmans on 1997 1998

---------------------Seaman

G Neville --- Keown --- Adams --- Winterburn

---Parlour --- Vieira --- Petit --- Overmars

------------- Bergkamp --- Owen

Subs: Beckham, Giggs, Sutton

Adams received more votes than anyone else followed by Bergkamp.

Others who came close: Schmeichel, Ginola, Leboeuf, Ince, Shearer, Redfearn.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rothmans on 1998 1999

------------------Schmeichel

G Neville --- Keown --- Stam --- Winterburn

---Beckham --- Keane --- Petit --- Ginola

--------------Bergkamp --- Yorke

Subs: Adams, Vieira, Kewell

Beckham and Keane received the most votes.

Players coming close to making it: Irwin, Campbell, Ferrer, Giggs, Desailly, Owen, Anelka.

PDG1978 repped this.