Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1826 frankieboylampard, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    I'd say Marriner's is bigger in regards to table and sheer $$/star power of both clubs. Liverpool have been hitting roadblocks lately with stumbles on matches they should on paper haven't dropped points on. Chelsea badly need a win or draw to keep pace with United and LC who are snapping at their heels. So 1 team with nothing to play for but pride and another team who badly needs a win.

Realistically Tottenham are playing for Europa League but they could be edging past wolves if they continue dropping points. LC of course needs a win. So it should be a tough match as well.

Im more curious about the Watford v. City appointment. Im on my work computer and shouldn't be on this forum but I'm curious if Watford is in the relegation zone. Thats the only reason why I can see Oliver being appointed that match to keep him away from United or LC for what I believe will be a winner take all match the following week.

Also on the LC v. SHU seeing Dean Henderson wear a full baseball cap is something that seem so strange to me still. Like that's a move I'd expect to see in my O-40 men's adult league or Co-ed league. I hope they'll let AR's use hats at one point.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Man United's 2-0 win at Crystal Palace, Crystal Palace had a goal taken away by VAR when a player was offside by an inch. TV showed one line that made him seem level with the last defender, and then another line that showed him a tiny bit offside. I attached a screen shot showing the attacker's red at the front of his shoe on the line and the last defender's light green at the front of his shoe behind the line.

Man United won 2-0, so they probably would have won even if the goal stood.

Attached Files:

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I saw this in live play or this part of the match. I think it’s correct by the letter of the law but without VAR I think AR keeps flag down and we have a 1-1 game. So a bit different but ultimately, it’s the correct call and little speculation but it’s a fun going down these what ifs

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    This could indeed be an important match relegation-wise for Watford (depending partly on tonight's result against West Ham).

Oliver just had Leicester's last match - a home win over Sheffield. Would the committee want to assign him to two of Leicester's last three matches (including the last two home matches)?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    FA Cup Semifinals

Arsenal - Man City
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistant Referees: Simon Bennett & Marc Perry
    Fourth Official: Paul Tierney
    Reserve Assistant: Nick Hopton
    VAR: Craig Pawson
    AVAR: Gary Beswick

Chelsea - Man Utd
    Referee: Michael Dean
    Assistant Referees: Ian Hussin & Richard West
    Fourth Official: Andrew Madley
    Reserve Assistant: Stuart Burt
    VAR: Michael Oliver
    AVAR: Sian Massey-Ellis

The 2015 and 2008 Final referees in charge of the semifinals.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Top six" matches:

Liverpool - Man City (Community Shield): Atkinson
    Man Utd - Chelsea: Taylor
    Man City - Tottenham: Oliver
    Liverpool - Arsenal: Taylor
    Arsenal - Tottenham: Atkinson
    Chelsea - Liverpool: Oliver
    Man Utd - Arsenal: Friend
    Man Utd - Liverpool: Atkinson
    Liverpool - Tottenham: Taylor
    Chelsea - Man Utd (Carabao Cup): Tierney
    Liverpool - Arsenal (Carabao Cup): Marriner
    Liverpool - Man City: Oliver
    Man City - Chelsea: Atkinson
    Man Utd - Tottenham: Tierney
    Man City - Man Utd: Taylor
    Arsenal - Man City: Tierney
    Tottenham - Chelsea: Taylor
    Arsenal - Chelsea: Pawson
    Arsenal - Man Utd: Kavanagh
    Man Utd - Man City (Carabao Cup): Dean
    Liverpool - Man Utd: Pawson
    Chelsea - Arsenal: Attwell
    Man City - Man Utd (Carabao Cup): Marriner
    Chelsea - Man Utd: Taylor
    Chelsea - Tottenham: Oliver
    Chelsea - Liverpool (FA Cup): Kavanagh
    Man Utd - Man City: Dean
    Man City - Arsenal: Taylor
    Tottenham - Man Utd: Moss
    Chelsea - Man City: Attwell
    Man City - Liverpool: Taylor
    Tottenham - Arsenal: Oliver
    Arsenal - Liverpool: Tierney
    Liverpool - Chelsea: Marriner
    Arsenal - Man City (FA Cup): Moss
    Chelsea - Man Utd (FA Cup): Dean

Distribution of these matches in the EPL so far:

Taylor: 8
    Oliver: 5
    Atkinson: 3
    Tierney: 3
    Pawson: 2
    Attwell: 2
    Dean: 1
    Friend: 1
    Kavanagh: 1
    Marriner: 1
    Moss: 1

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Of the Select Group referees, the ones who have not had a Final are Attwell, Bankes, Coote, Hooper, Kavanagh, (Andy) Madley, Mason, Pawson, Scott, and Tierney.

Pawson, Tierney, Attwell, or Kavanagh?

8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’ll cast my Vote for Kavanagh or Tierney. I think the admin m group likes those guys a lot.

9. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I actually think Pawson is the most likely, having handled the EFL Cup Final in 2018.

RefIADad and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Lee Mason is in his 15th year as a Select Referee. Goodbye present as he will be 49 when the new season is expected to start?

Pierre Head repped this.
  11. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Question:
    Bou vs Sou min 51. Bournemouth player drives, gets fouled, advantage played, drives 10-12 yds more, gets fouled again and Pawson restarts at the position of the original foul.

why is this? If the reason for advantage not realized is another foul, I usually give the restart at the second foul. I mean I feel like the attacker earned those yards.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Could it be that the R did not think the second event was a foul, just that there wasn’t actually an advantage? Or actually stopped before the second foul occurred? I agree with you that if he recognized the second foul as a foul, the more advantageous FK should be given.

chwmy repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see that for Lee Mason. It's a London derby with a Europa League place on the line for Arsenal. They will want someone who can handle this type of match, and I simply don't think Mason's up for it. I think Pawson is the pick this year.

14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    wait FA Cup winners get into the Europa league?

15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, and if they had not already qualified it takes the spot from the last qualified team. Arsenal winning the FA Cup would knock either Spurs or Wolves out.

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the full Europe qualification setup from the Premier League website. FA Cup winner goes right to the EL group stage. EFL Cup winner goes to the second qualifying round.*

*If not otherwise qualified for continental competition.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    i don’t see how he’s made it 15 years! Let alone do a big Cup Final.

RefIADad and frankieboylampard repped this.
  18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I feel like I missed the party. This is news to me.

19. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    It's been that way for a very long time. It just hasn't been relevant very often as the Cup Winners tend to have already qualified for either the Champions League or Europa League by their league position anyway.

The only time I can think of recently when the Cup Winners took the Europa League place directly by winning the Cup is Wigan, or if you go back further Portsmouth got into the old UEFA Cup that way also.

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    winning the FA cup and relegated! And now headed for an even lower league. How tragic for Wigan.

gold4278 repped this.
  21. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been several examples where second or even I think third division clubs in other countries (Germany comes to mind) have played in European competition. As long as they can get the licensing approved, they can play if they win their domestic cup competition.

22. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    hmm I’ve been watching the Prem for at least 20 years. However, the first 3 years it wasn’t in English. So maybe that has something to do with it.

but thanks to you and refladad for informing me.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my.

The explanation seems perverse. They don't want to have another referee's family miss out on attending the FA Cup Final. But having Taylor do it again inherently means that one other candidate for the next few editions will never do the Final. Someone misses out totally because of this.

Some very British thinking going on here. I read Elleray's explanation. But it just feels like they didn't trust Pawson (or whoever might be the top alternative) to do Arsenal v Chelsea with the stakes. All very strange.

balu repped this.
  24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Agreed. Elleray's explanation is hard to buy. They could have appointed another person and, if that person is still performing well in a few years, appoint him again for the second time to allow his family to attend.