Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    These next couple matches for Chelsea, Leicester and Man United are going to be critical now that CAS has ruled City to not be in violation of FFP (which is a whole different conversation I don’t want to even get into).

I’d consider LC v. SHU a way more difficult match versus a Liverpool v. arsenal.

Interesting selection of Jon Moss and Lee Mason for Chelsea and City match respectively. Maybe saving some options for the LC v. United and Chelsea v. Liverpool fixtures coming up.

RefIADad repped this.
  2. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Absolutely correct.

However, from a Referee standpoint, most of the really challenging games that remain are at the other end of the table, with Friday's game (West Ham v Watford) being one of the biggest.

That's why, at this period of the season, you shouldn't pay attention to who gets games involving the "big six" as they are frequently less important. Hence, you get Tierney on the "usual" marquee game, Arsenal v Liverpool, while it is Atkinson who goes to West Ham v Watford.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Doesn’t the game to decide promotion from the championship usually have a premier league ref team? Tierny did it last year. Seems like of all games, that would not be the one to have a ref team that has no rapport/familiarity with those players,

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1804 RefIADad, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Generally speaking, yes. I know Anthony Taylor did the Championship playoff final two years ago.

In my opinion, I think it does make sense to put a "neutral", Premier League crew on the match. The impact of that game is so big, and in normal times you have a big and loud crowd at Wembley. Plus, if there's any history - good or bad - with a SG2 referee working the match, you know that the stakes of that particular match with the millions of dollars of Premier League money riding on the game will generate controversy if there's a questionable call. Far better to have a totally neutral crew work the match and remove at least one variable for potential controversy. The SG1 referees will do their research and video study to be ready.

If I’m guessing, I’d say the Kavanagh/Massey-Ellis team is assigned that match this year.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s also considered the most lucrative match in the world still, I believe. So it’s not just a question of having someone neutral. It’s a match with more pressure and ramifications than 98% of actual EPL matches.

Honestly, I think it’s a reach for Kavanagh at this point. But I’m also not his biggest fan yet.

I wonder if it the playoffs will have VAR. I hadn’t thought of that angle before. There’s obviously reasons not to (primarily that it wasn’t used in the competition proper). On the other hand, if a rectifiable mistake was made in a promotion playoff and it couldn’t be fixed... yikes.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point on Kavanagh. With the exception of Taylor a couple of years ago, it seems like this assignment goes to a relatively new English FIFA, but not one who is a brand-new FIFA. Kavanagh seemed to fit that bill as I was thinking about the list of English FIFAs.

Given the implications of the pandemic, this year's match has more riding on it than previous years. It probably isn't out of the realm of possibility that one the Premier League's very highest tier takes the match. So that would probably include Oliver, Taylor, Dean, or Atkinson (understanding that Dean and Atkinson are no longer on the FIFA list, but they are still two of England's most experienced referees). I would imagine that the playoffs wouldn't have VAR if the rest of the competition hasn't had VAR, but no decision regarding VAR in England surprises me anymore.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup has VAR when qualifiers don't. I think it make sense to treat the playoffs like first EPL matches, rather than final EFL matches. But that's from a practical standpoint and in an attempt to avoid the nightmare scenario. If the EFL actually organizes and subsides everything in the playoffs (which it probably does, right?) I can see why "no VAR" would be the decision.

8. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    very interesting. it's almost another reason to use sg2 refs if there's no var. i mean, when's the last time sg1 refs did a game that did not have var? will the ARs immediately be able to readjust to their older instructions/thresholds for a single game?

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Are the games played at venues that are set up for VAR?

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Final is at a small little park called Wembley.

Your point is understandable, but practically irrelevant given the stakes and competition. MLS just set up VAR on a stadium-less fields in Disney World, because they wanted/needed it. We're talking about four games on EFL Championship grounds--grounds that will become or have been EPL grounds. Given the television value and attention, setting up VAR wouldn't be a problem for the semifinals (and completely built-in already for the Final).

The only thing preventing the use of VAR for these matches would be an argument for maintaining the same rules for the playoffs that were in place for the league proper. Given we've seen a Champions League with VAR for knockout matches only, arguing a need to adhere to such a principle would strain credulity for most fans.

socal lurker and GearRef repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current teams in places 3-6 are Brentford, Fulham, Nottingham Forest, and Cardiff City. Swansea is in 7th.

I would think that if they want VAR for the Championship playoffs, they'll have it. If I'm guessing, I bet that they will not have VAR in the semifinal legs (SG2 not as used to it as SG1) and will have VAR in the final with a Premier League crew. But that's just a guess on my part.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off-topic, but I think 11 different teams could finish in the 3-6 slots right now. Technically even Leeds could drop to the playoff zone, but that seems nearly impossible so I went conservative and said 11.

Four points separate 6th from 12th at the moment. And there are only three matches remaining (two for some clubs). Sort of makes me wish I followed the league closely.

SG1 referees do all five matches. Taylor-Kavanagh-Scott-Pawson were the semi referees last year.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sixth place Cardiff played while you were posting and won, which eliminated 12th place Blackburn. Leeds will guarantee first or second with 4 points in 3 games, and they host Barnsley in 24th (which is last) and Charlton in 21st. Third place Brentford leads in goal differential at +43, so they will win the tiebreaker if they tie Leeds for second. Leeds is second in goal differential at +35. West Brom is second in points and third in goal differential at +33. The bottom is also close. Barnsley is last, but with 3 games left they could pass 7 clubs. 8 clubs could get relegated, and only 5 clubs are guaranteed to stay. The season ends on Wednesday July 22.

14. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    This is an extract straight out of the EFL Rules of Competition for this season. As you will see (hopefully!) from the bottom line, the decision was made, before the start of the season, that VAR would not be in operation for any play-off matches in this season's play-offs. I guess they could change it, but I wouldn't think that they would.

upload_2020-7-15_11-15-31.png

EvanJ and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    They need at least four points to avoid relegation. Their last three games are against teams currently in the top six so it is unlikely, but odder things have happened.

16. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    don't have footage,,just read about it today ..Burnley gets a pk against wolves in injury time,.apparently Burnley player does overhead kick and wolves defender puts hand up to protect himself..does anyone have footage..wolves really need a win

17. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    https://streamable.com/esugji

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't see that as controversial at all. He jumped at the ball with his arms out in front of him towards the ball.

19. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    thank you..I didn't stream peacock..so I couldn't see it live.

good call.sucks for wolves..

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is the fact his arm up like that an indication that the opponent is guilty of PIADM?

I mean, why else would a professional player jump like that in that situation? He's not trying to bat the ball away with his hand. He's not putting his arm there to prevent a clearance (I use that language because he's not goal side of the attacker--he's further upfield). And he doesn't even touch the ball until after his opponent fails at a desperate bicycle kick.

I don't know. Seems pretty clear to me that he's putting his arm up in case he takes a stray boot in the face and not to handle. Check that--it doesn't "seem pretty clear"... it's obvious to anyone who has played the game. But maybe common sense is out the window completely these days.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just catching up on all this, but doesn't Wigan getting a 12-point deduction after the season ends affect all the relegation math? And, consequently, make things even more interesting?

22. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Correct, though there is also an appeal pending, which might simplify matters!

But, let's assume Wigan lose the appeal for the purposes of this discussion.

As per the rules of the EFL, the 12-point deduction actually doesn't get applied until the season is over. That way, they ensure that the penalty is applied in a manner that "punishes" Wigan. This means that had they got relegated the "traditional" way, the deduction would not apply until the start of next season - that is, they would start life in League 1 at -12 points.

But, since they have now officially avoided relegation the "traditional" way, the 12-point deduction will take effect at the end of this season. So, with two games remaining they are really on 45 points, level with Hull and Luton, but with a vastly superior goal difference.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    OK, I'll fess up. I didn't pay enough attention to the pre-movement where the defender has a legitimate chance to head the ball, and I erroneously inferred he was coming in late with no chance. (And I was probably overly-influenced by a pet peeve of referees who don't call handling in cases where a player charges in with hands up "protecting himself" by making himself a bigger blocking space.)

This is a headable ball--I agree PIADM would be more appropriate (I can't tell if there is contact, so could be kicking, but doesn't make a practical difference here which is called.) But (unfortunately), I think if you don't go with PIADM, the current language seems to make this a hand ball offense. His arms are away from his body making him bigger, which only leaves us with the question of whether that is unnatural. (The the Laws don't have a specific protection exemption--that was always a concept of what it meant to be deliberate such that an "instinctive" response was not deliberate; now that we have hand ball offenses that aren't deliberate, this is harder to no-call on that basis when arms are in places that make the player bigger.)

24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 37

Norwich - Burnley
    Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Simon Beck, Andy Garratt. Fourth official: Dean Whitestone. Replacement official: George Byrne. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Bournemouth - Southampton
    Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Dan Robathan, Peter Kirkup. Fourth official: Tim Robinson. Replacement official: Mark Russell. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Lee Betts.

Tottenham - Leicester
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Graham Scott. Replacement official: Steven Meredith. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger.

Brighton - Newcastle
    Referee: Simon Hooper. Assistants: Derek Eaton, Mark Scholes. Fourth official: Gavin Ward. Replacement official: Mark Pottage. VAR: Kevin Friend. Assistant VAR: Simon Beck.

Sheffield - Everton
    Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Simon Long, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Andy Madley. Replacement official: Robert Merchant. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

Wolves - Crystal Palace
    Referee: Peter Bankes. Assistants: Lee Betts, Adrian Holmes. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor. Replacement official: Craig Taylor. VAR: Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Watford - Man City
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. Replacement official: Lee Venamore. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

Aston Villa - Arsenal
    Referee: Chris Kavanagh. Assistants: Daniel Cook, Sian Massey-Ellis. Fourth official: Graham Scott. Replacement official: Matt Jones. VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes.

Man Utd - West Ham
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Darren Cann. Fourth official: Mike Dean. Replacement official: Natalie Aspinall. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.

Liverpool - Chelsea
    Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Richard West. Fourth official: Lee Mason. Replacement official: Paul Hodskinson. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Taylor with a big match.

25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Top six" matches:

Liverpool - Man City (Community Shield): Atkinson
    Man Utd - Chelsea: Taylor
    Man City - Tottenham: Oliver
    Liverpool - Arsenal: Taylor
    Arsenal - Tottenham: Atkinson
    Chelsea - Liverpool: Oliver
    Man Utd - Arsenal: Friend