Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now a blatant hold for Manchester United that should be a penalty.

These standards are jarring. That’s now a penalty everywhere else with VAR.

sitruc repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And the MU PK (that was missed) that was a trip from behind after the ball was off the attacker's foot -- that wasn't even a yellow? Were there more than two defenders between the attacker and the goal?

3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So much for that clarification about subbing off at the nearest line.

sitruc and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s going to be the worst change precisely because of what will naturally be erratic enforcement.

5. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Was about to ask about a foul which started the attacking phase of play, but that was a nice tackle.

6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Urgh. A poor performance that could have been salvaged with effective VAR. I feel sorry for Tierney because he’s a great referee but atm, I think this is a dip, and one wonders if the novelty of VAR played a part.

7. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So not one but two missed PK calls that VAR doesn’t call down, a DOGSO it ignores, and a card for simulation that was a clear error because it was actually a clear foul. And then Atkinson earlier letting it make a call for him. It seems pretty clear that the EPL is using VAR in a very different way than the rest of the world.

GlennAA11 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The approach, in addition to being classically British, is interesting because it essentially means VAR will be used to take away goals for offside and handball and... not much else.

sitruc and TheRealBilbo repped this.
  9. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    And now a bear hug by van dijk to keep sideshow bob from challenging a Liverpool corner. If there is hope that VAR will clean up set piece shenanigans, that’s not happening yet in the epl.

10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's not happening anywhere tbh.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of proper protocol just made sure a clear DOGSO foul couldn’t be called IF the offside decision was wrong. Unclear if offside was right or not but that’s not really the point.

12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Don’t think it’s a mandatory yellow card. It’s a trip, it’s barely late, doesn’t really stop a promising attack (because they get a PK), and it’s not even close to reckless. I think we are ok saving a card there. The pen is enough.

LampLighter and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I was thinking DOGSO ...

14. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I don't think so, he's running into the box, get's the ball tapped to him and get's tripped. Even if he got possession of that ball there's two defenders directly in front of him blocking his path. No way that's a card. 10:21 in the video.

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    OK. In real time I couldn't see what was between him and goal. Looked to me like he was in.

Well, hmm ... if you look at that last angle in the replay ... from behind ... there's really just the one defender and the keeper. Oh well.

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Anyone think that those two PKs get called when Ferguson was the MU manager?:devilish:;)

PH

17. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
  18. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Here was a check in the Man City match. It looked like the defender stepped on the attacker’s foot causing him to fall. No penalty given.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not sure what the point of var is if that isn’t going to be called a PK.

20. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Smh. Maybe they’ll use it in cases of mistaken ID. Maybe.

21. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    In some ways this British application of clear and obvious error seems closer to the stated purpose of using VAR to correct only the Thierry Henry level errors. But it does also appear to be very much different from what's happening everywhere else

MassachusettsRef and sitruc repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it would be different. I’m genuinely shocked by how different it is. This big of a difference between the EPL and UEFA competitions is not sustainable.

Relatedly, Dean and team just missed or ignored a DOGSO foul. On the plus side, he did book a player for not leaving at the nearest boundary.

sitruc repped this.
  23. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Agreed. The non-PK call in the Spurs-Newcastle match was a perfect example of this. It was a call that could have gone either way, the ref on the field called no PK, and VAR said that the evidence was not conclusive enough to overrule the original call, since it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

24. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Wow. Now THAT, in my opinion, is a clear and obvious error.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also an example of the importance of exactly what the ref is telling the VAR.

If Dean was telling the video assistant referee that there wasn't enough contact for a penalty to be called, it's a clear and obvious error, because there certainly was enough. But if he was saying he saw the contact, but elected to play on because the defender was off balance and fell, and didn't want to penalize him for an inadvertent play -- I still think it's a penalty myself, but that's a reasonable interpretation, and thus NOT clear and obvious error.